Sponsored

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave
My wife has the 4xe Rubicon with about 1700 miles, she drives about 15 miles to work in electric mode and tops off and then drives home. She goes about 3 weeks without getting gas. I was skeptical too but I now am a big fan if you live in a certain range and it's your daily, good things to come I believe.
Unfortunately, I’m about 30 miles from my office so I’d be using a bit more gas each day. I think a plug in that gets 50-100 miles on batteries would be better for someone like me. Keeping my fingers crossed we’ll get there in a few years.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Is it just me, or does that Wrangler not look like a full convertible? It looks like just the front of the roof and the windows come off. Also, no folding windshield? I hope that's not what is going to happen. Hopefully I'm missing something else that's getting lost in the low resolution.

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave
Is it just me, or does that Wrangler not look like a full convertible? It looks like just the front of the roof and the windows come off. Also, no folding windshield? I hope that's not what is going to happen. Hopefully I'm missing something else that's getting lost in the low resolution.
To me it looks like a refreshed Wrangler with the SOT roof.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Over on the JL side, someone noticed that it seemed to be JK based, due to a shot of the dash in the video. They surmised it was a repurposed concept.

Someone found that it seems like it might be the Safari concept from 2017.

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Teases All-Electric Wrangler "Freedom" BEV ⚡️ 2017-Moab-Easter-Jeep-Safari-Wrangler-Safari

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Why would “Jeep enthusiast” want autonomous off road driving?
Mountain bikers are going to be stoked with the autonomous driving. No need to ghost ride the Jeep down the hill. :LOL:

Or you go down a river, you can have your jeep pick you up at the end. no need to find someone to go with or bum a ride.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Wait until you see the range with a lift, bigger tires, stubby bumpers, and all the add ons that Jeepers love.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Unfortunately, I’m about 30 miles from my office so I’d be using a bit more gas each day. I think a plug in that gets 50-100 miles on batteries would be better for someone like me. Keeping my fingers crossed we’ll get there in a few years.
Yep mine is 50 miles each way so would need something with a bit of range to get back and forth since plugging in at work to recharge isn't going to happen

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
It almost looks like a hard top version of that uglyass retractable roof that Jeep offers on the Wrangler that you can't remove. That's the worst roof for these I think.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you could get some decent solar panels on the roof/ bed rack that would charge the platform batteries it would help out on the range aspect as it would be constantly charging, there are some decent systems out there that could work. Basically stop for lunch for an hour, and get a recharge (albeit slight) but make it more feasible to own a fully E JT.

IMHO
The math just doesn't work. Look at it this way. The roof of a Wrangler (less for a Gladiator) could support roughly 500 watts of solar panels. So if you left the jeep outside all day in the summer and didn't drive it. (in direct sun) it might generate 5 hours of full power and it might generate another 9 hours of lets say 300 watts.

That's roughly 5 kWh of energy. That means that if an EV jeep had a 100 kWh battery, it would take 20 days of sitting out in the sun to charge the Jeep.

If we look at it a different way. If the jeep can go 200 miles on a full charge, each day of charging with PV cells in perfect conditions will get you 10 miles of range.

On a lighter, more efficient vehicle it could make a real difference. But on something like a Jeep. Its just not worth the effort.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Never mind all that, let's focus on the real message here; if you bring a dog jeeping you'll get laid!

I'd be okay with a full electric jeep honestly, 4 hub motors with dynamic control does away with so much weight it's not even funny. No more bitching about start/stop, no more crying about auto versus manual, no more complaining about why does the manual have such a low tow rating... all that lost curb weight and all that extra baggage. Dude I am so in!

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The math just doesn't work. Look at it this way. The roof of a Wrangler (less for a Gladiator) could support roughly 500 watts of solar panels. So if you left the jeep outside all day in the summer and didn't drive it. (in direct sun) it might generate 5 hours of full power and it might generate another 9 hours of lets say 300 watts.

That's roughly 5 kWh of energy. That means that if an EV jeep had a 100 kWh battery, it would take 20 days of sitting out in the sun to charge the Jeep.

If we look at it a different way. If the jeep can go 200 miles on a full charge, each day of charging with PV cells in perfect conditions will get you 10 miles of range.

On a lighter, more efficient vehicle it could make a real difference. But on something like a Jeep. Its just not worth the effort.
Toyota did this with at least 1 version of their Prius. I think it ran some fans to help cool the car off. I think it was like a $5k option though, probably bundled with other stuff.

AverageDad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
VP of Operations
40 miles would be very, very sad for a hybrid car. It needs to be like the Ford Lightning before they even think about releasing it.
It is sad in comparison. But 40 is still all I would need. And I believe the current Wrangler 4xE only does about 25. For now, I’m still happy with my 3.6L gas engine.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is sad in comparison. But 40 is still all I would need. And I believe the current Wrangler 4xE only does about 25. For now, I’m still happy with my 3.6L gas engine.
Official # is 21 miles lol. 40 is Prius Prime territory.
Sponsored