First Name
Brewdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Truck driver
That could do it. My first wife drove our car to the bank one day. As she was at the teller window, bank staff started looking out the window - one grabbed a fire extinguisher.
Yes, our car had a small fuel leak that happened to hit the exhaust or something and there was a minor fire. Luckily they put it out. I had my own shop then and submitted an estimate for repair and insurance paid me to fix it. Didn't take a lot - mostly fuel lines and plastic parts......
I remember that the LS bodies with the 3.5 had a recall for leaking fuel rails. More than a few of them had underhood fires.
All it takes is a few drops to vaporize under the hood.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I'd lean towards M/T and I'm hoping that's the cause so we can just point to threads like this and the JL thread every time someone asks about towing 6K with their manual.
Still shouldn't happen if they had the recall performed. The dash would light up and warn you the clutch is overheating well before it gets to that point. And it would de-rate like crazy when it gets hot. But I'm guessing we'll never know, unless the "victim" is a member here.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I'd lean towards M/T and I'm hoping that's the cause so we can just point to threads like this and the JL thread every time someone asks about towing 6K with their manual.
Def more likely to be M/T because the diesel will go into limp mode when it gets too hot.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My first thought was Overland rims but it's hard to know if it's those or after market. They also use those rims on other trims that get body matched fenders.
How's that since they are 18" rims?
You are saying that a Rubicon gets 18" Overland rims if you get body matched fenders?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Def more likely to be M/T because the diesel will go into limp mode when it gets too hot.
The MT would go into limp mode too, with the recall. That's what the recall from February does. It derates when the clutch gets too hot and lights up the dash, warning you to ease up. It limits torque until temps are back in range. You'll be going nowhere fast until temps are back to normal.

My qualifier is with the recall, because I know there are some who are averse to the recall for some reason, as I saw on another thread here.

Last edited:

DTJB

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
And that's why again?
The 3.73:1 gear ratio caused it, I guess.

probably the 1.5” narrower axle not getting enough air between the tires 🙄 maybe the lack of HD cooling and brakes?

Fairly certain that was a humorous comment meant to give someone a chuckle. @red/green hawk - it did make me laugh when I read it 🙃

Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
The MT would go into limp mode too, with the recall. That's what the recall from February does. It derates when the clutch gets too hot and lights up the dash, warning you to ease up. It limits torque until temps are back in range. You'll be going nowhere fast until temps are back to normal.

My qualifier is with the recall, because I know there are some who are averse to the recall for some reason, as I saw on another thread here.
The most current clutch recall for the 2020 MTs (that does the slip detection & self-derating downscaling of engine torque in response to clutch slippage and heat) only became actually-available for the 2020 MT much more recently and considerably after the 2021s' version of this most recent (slip detection, self-derating) recall. It wasn't very long ago that I got my mailed notice of the most current recall and I just had the most current recall done a couple of weeks ago. If this was an MT, it might have been a 2020 that hadn't yet had the most current recall done.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon? You often don't read before responding, or only read what you feel like you want to.
I read it - and you said -

They also use those rims on other trims that get body matched fenders.
That means they use the Overland rims on other trims that get body matched fenders. Is the Rubicon not another trim level of the JT?
You said they look like overland rims - they also use those rims on other trims - what else would that mean?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
probably the 1.5” narrower axle not getting enough air between the tires 🙄 maybe the lack of HD cooling and brakes?

Fairly certain that was a humorous comment meant to give someone a chuckle. @red/green hawk - it did make me laugh when I read it 🙃
Maybe set the brakes on fire without a brake controller........

Guess I missed the humor because of all of those that tow without it, ...........it really doesn't seem to matter.
Sponsored