Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
All you rocket scientists on here, which fire extinguisher should I buy to put in my Ecodiesel Gladiator?
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator on fire, burned to the ground… 1629995784014
I went to Lowe's and bought the "Automotive" extinguisher they sell, and then bought a roll bar mount from Amazon that's made of straps with hook-n-loop fastening. Nicely concealed against the back driver side corner of the cab now.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Not sure I get your comment, Calgary is in Alberta. lol
You replied to and quoted my post where I was talking about the gradeablilty test -- I assumed you were referring to that stretch of road which is in Arizona. It's now clear you were talking about the stretch where the OP fire happened.

Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I went to Lowe's and bought the "Automotive" extinguisher they sell, and then bought a roll bar mount from Amazon that's made of straps with hook-n-loop fastening. Nicely concealed against the back driver side corner of the cab now.
All you rocket scientists on here, which fire extinguisher should I buy to put in my Ecodiesel Gladiator?
I don't know what @WXman purchased, but often "automotive" branded extinguishers are 10B:C. Personally I prefer to carry the same size home extinguishers, which are 1A:10B:C. In other words, the same coverage for liquid, gas, and electrical, with coverage for standard fires as well. I camp a lot and like having the ability to put out a potential forest fire, which to me is more likely than a vehicle fire (knock on wood).

I have these first alert all over the house and one in the truck.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
That and that the aerospace industry is awfully volitile. My wife is also an aerospace engineer. Although she never quit nor was ever layed off in her 35+ years in aerospace, she worked for 4 different companies. I both changed jobs and was laid off before consulting in the end.
I saw that a lot when I worked at a software company in Virginia near NASA Langley. I worked with many extremely bright Aerospace Engineers who had interned at NASA. When the Internship was up, NASA said, "Sorry, due to diversity requirements, we can hire only women." And there were no engineering jobs at Boeing or any other manufacturer at the time. They all knew Unix, so they worked with me. I learned a lot from those guys. One was a PhD so he got a lot of, "It's not rocket science. Sorry, forgot. You ARE a rocket scientist!". :)

maligator

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD Willys 2021 Hyundai Veloster N DCT
Occupation
Programmer
I saw that a lot when I worked at a software company in Virginia near NASA Langley. I worked with many extremely bright Aerospace Engineers who had interned at NASA. When the Internship was up, NASA said, "Sorry, due to diversity requirements, we can hire only women." And there were no engineering jobs at Boeing or any other manufacturer at the time. They all knew Unix, so they worked with me. I learned a lot from those guys. One was a PhD so he got a lot of, "It's not rocket science. Sorry, forgot. You ARE a rocket scientist!". :)
I went to community college and I remember the teacher for my first college level trig class walked in on the first day, put down his bag, didn't look at us and wrote on the board "It's Just Rocket Science" and we all looked at each other like this dude thinks he's at MIT and had to remind him he was teaching community college in Wisconsin lol.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Ok, so I understand basic aerodynamics being a pilot, but have a simple question.... if the frontal area in the newer tow ratings is simply Height x Width as has been said here, taking out the actual drag coefficient of a particular trailer shape, how can Jeep advertise towing this thing? Straight from their website.

By my math it's got a bigger frontal area than the rating by quite a bit, and then you add all those extra protrusions on the roof etc which only add more "frontal area" by their definition??? No way this would jive with their owners manual in my head. What am I missing? Just look at it compared to the frontal area of the Gladiator itself, WAY bigger.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator on fire, burned to the ground… Screenshot 2021-08-26 145718

No idea what caused the eco diesel to burn to the ground (other than sure wasn't a M/T catching fire as so early claimed lol), but I sure don't think it was the frontal area of their trailer with sloped top/bottom.

Either there has to be more to this frontal area calculation, or Jeep isn't following their own ratings? Or I'm an idiot and totally misunderstood what was written a few pages back about this particular part of the rating. Which is also totally possible, as it just doesn't make sense in my head.... ;)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Either there has to be more to this frontal area calculation, or Jeep isn't following their own ratings? Or I'm an idiot and totally misunderstood what was written a few pages back about this particular part of the rating. Which is also totally possible, as it just doesn't make sense in my head.... ;)
Yeah I suspect there is something amiss with the way everyone on this thread is talking about frontal area, and what it means in the manual, etc. As others have pointed out, by our simple math here, even heavy duty Ford's built for towing should not be pulling most travel trailers out there.

maligator

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programmer
Yeah I suspect there is something amiss with the way everyone on this thread is talking about frontal area, and what it means in the manual, etc. As others have pointed out, by our simple math here, even heavy duty Ford's built for towing should not be pulling most travel trailers out there.
I agree. There is a standard as we have talked about. But why in the past does it seem like trucks pulled their weight more confidently without a bunch of *'s. All the standard does is makes it so they can inflate advertised towing as much as possible while shedding responsibility. How long untill we need to calculate the wind direction and the material the trailer is made of lol

Is this what the Davis Dam test looked like? lol

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator on fire, burned to the ground… 1630005812094

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. There is a standard as we have talked about. But why in the past does it seem like trucks pulled their weight more confidently without a bunch of *'s. All the standard does is makes it so they can inflate advertised towing as much as possible while shedding responsibility. How long untill we need to calculate the wind direction and the material the trailer is made of lol

Is this what the Davis Dam test looked like? lol

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator on fire, burned to the ground… 1630005812094
At that test speed of 40 mph, aero drag is probably not a big factor. If someone wants to exceed the frontal area limit, seems to me the solution is to simply keep the speeds down on steep grades.

maligator

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programmer
At that test speed of 40 mph, aero drag is probably not a big factor. If someone wants to exceed the frontal area limit, seems to me the solution is to simply keep the speeds down on steep grades.
Yeah, and again this is kind of turning into the diesel overheating thread because were all making assumptions. If I wasn't an enthusiast that came to the forum it would be so much better. I would just be enjoying my new jeep that works great. Instead I'm waiting for it to explode when I'm on the highway lol.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
And you know the increase from 40 to 60 and above is pretty hefty....... sort of crazy as 40 isn't realistic and sometimes it's below a minimum speed, on the other hand, they do handicap the vehicles give them no advantage during the testing so they should easily match real world conditions.
Sponsored