Why the High Altitude?

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I had a student in my Def. Driving class who was a Viet Nam vet who dealt with PTSD. During one of the in room breaks he described to all how the military spent a lot of time "teaching" soldiers how to "hate" the enemy because that was how one gets to the act of killing but never takes the time to "un-hate" after things subside. Hence, his PTSD. There is a lesson in this. We all use words as poker chips except a lot of times we do not know the true meaning of what we say, or the value of the chip. Just because I do not care for (fill in the blank) does not in any way mean that I hate some thing or some one. I may not like your life choices, but I am not willing to kill over it. Ease up on the use of the word hate to describe what is really an honest opinion.

That being said, I think 20 inch rims are for the candyman. (slang for dope dealer)
Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Interesting. Some back of the napkin math shows that a 315/70-20 will be about 37" tall with the same height sidewall as any other 315/70.

I do think the diamond stitched leather is sexy as hell.
Lift and tires can make anything cool. 🤣

D4F84334-4B5B-4C09-AC6E-F8A07185A29B.jpeg

966F38B9-21F0-48AD-92AB-9E68077FB26B.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That Eagle is awesome! I always wanted one of those back in the day. Looks clean.
Thanks. I bought it out of California in about 2007. Had it trucked to Iowa. It had been sitting in a field in CA for over a decade. No paint left, interior was trashed, 3 springs were broken, had 152,000 miles when I got it. Over the years I went over every part of it except for the front differential - that's next as it's got almost 200,000 miles on it now. Started as a daily driver, turned into a show car.

Seriously though, my last Jeep was a while ago - a CJ7 - and I totally get the minimalist approach to a Jeep also.
Agree totally. I can see that side of things with a lot of respect. I'd love to have one of the legacy Jeeps like that with power nothing, simple drivetrain.

However, as a person married to a woman born with some serious limitations to her arms and hands - I even converted my SX4 to power windows and locks. If she had to drive it, I'd have to convert it to automatic transmission, too, because of her license being restricted to same. She "can" drive a stick and has done so, but if she got caught or was in an accident due to the license restriction they'd likely pull her license. She drove my Comanche all over - with the 5 speed but her right arm can't easily reach a floor shifter without her leaning over.

So - those who "strongly dislike" any of the power options or "nannies" as the most macho of guys like to call it - back up and bit and think outside of your own perfect world with a perfect body, no birth defects, no limitations due to age, illness or having served in the military and please stop blasting people for having a choice and in some cases, NEEDING that choice as otherwise they'd be stuck at home with no way to go anywhere.
People with no limitations or restrictions seem to believe the world is also perfect, and all people have all of their arms and hands and feet, no one has any back troubles due to many decades of manual labor in a shop working on cars or heavy equipment, no one has arthritis or any other issues.

Sort of funny, even for those trying to talk the talk as if all is ok, choices are fine - they still then later insult over how something looks...........

So on that bit - I think tiny wheels with 40" tires look like the Co-op fertilizer spreader on flotation tires LOL.

Last edited:

wveddy

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Manufacturing
Lift and tires can make anything cool. 🤣

Jeep Gladiator Why the High Altitude? 966F38B9-21F0-48AD-92AB-9E68077FB26B

Jeep Gladiator Why the High Altitude? 966F38B9-21F0-48AD-92AB-9E68077FB26B
Thats a good looking truck! I think its funny all the hating on painted bumpers, when people are color matching aftermarket bumpers on jeeps pretty regularly these days. I do like the color matched mirrors. that looks nice.

Sponsored

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Bout’ to hit dem trails ya dig…HA style

Jeep Gladiator Why the High Altitude? B46E248A-CDE5-45D5-ADD4-DE0813644040

Just clowin at this point. Don't take me serious(I know some of yall probably will). Buy what you like. To each their own. But that's seriously what I think of with the HA's.

Last edited:

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I bought it out of California in about 2007. Had it trucked to Iowa. It had been sitting in a field in CA for over a decade. No paint left, interior was trashed, 3 springs were broken, had 152,000 miles when I got it. Over the years I went over every part of it except for the front differential - that's next as it's got almost 200,000 miles on it now. Started as a daily driver, turned into a show car.

Agree totally. I can see that side of things with a lot of respect. I'd love to have one of the legacy Jeeps like that with power nothing, simple drivetrain.

However, as a person married to a woman born with some serious limitations to her arms and hands - I even converted my SX4 to power windows and locks. If she had to drive it, I'd have to convert it to automatic transmission, too, because of her license being restricted to same. She "can" drive a stick and has done so, but if she got caught or was in an accident due to the license restriction they'd likely pull her license. She drove my Comanche all over - with the 5 speed but her right arm can't easily reach a floor shifter without her leaning over.

So - those who "strongly dislike" any of the power options or "nannies" as the most macho of guys like to call it - back up and bit and think outside of your own perfect world with a perfect body, no birth defects, no limitations due to age, illness or having served in the military and please stop blasting people for having a choice and in some cases, NEEDING that choice as otherwise they'd be stuck at home with no way to go anywhere.
People with no limitations or restrictions seem to believe the world is also perfect, and all people have all of their arms and hands and feet, no one has any back troubles due to many decades of manual labor in a shop working on cars or heavy equipment, no one has arthritis or any other issues.

Sort of funny, even for those trying to talk the talk as if all is ok, choices are fine - they still then later insult over how something looks...........

So on that bit - I think tiny wheels with 40" tires look like the Co-op fertilizer spreader on flotation tires LOL.
My Gladiator is my daily driver and has all the nannies and toys. I bought it that way because my wife likes the toys and the first time I got distracted and my wife's Volvo's automatic emergency braking saved my ass I swore I'd never own a car without it. (Mild ADHD)

However Would love to own a 2 door Wrangler or CJ for tooling around town on weekends. There is a joy in simplicity. However, there is something to be said for outright capability also.

NIT4FUN

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HA Gladiator
I got my HA in December and love it. It has everything I wanted and things I didn’t care about like adaptive cruise control But glad I have it. I personally love the color matched bumper and love the way the 20 inch wheels look. I’m neither a dope boy or have ever used the stuff and don’t give a hot two cents on what others think. Since I’m not in to rock crawling and probably won’t do any off roading beyond the beach on occasion so the HA is perfect.

4MOTION

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, 2021 ECD ) A90 Supra, Kia Niro
For me,

It had everything I would use, And Things that I didn't Need In A Truck.

The Monochromatic Paint is what drew me to the H>A.
I get Compliments Daily and Long Stares as I drove by.

This is what I would expect in a car, so I sought it out for my truck.

If your gonna spend that kind of money on a vehicle, "I want it all Painted"

Oh,, And It Had To Be Diesel!

Jeep Gladiator Why the High Altitude? 2021 Overland

Jeep Gladiator Why the High Altitude? baymax jt

20210827_230847.jpg

20210827_230930.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

ChrisK

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Dad
Vehicle Showcase
New to forum and proud owner of 2021 JT Gladiator High Altitude.

Had it for about two months, but had been watching Gladiators since they released and fell in love with the High Altitude trim. Why the hate? It was tough to find any info about the trim and when you did, it was typically a gripe about a Jeep on 20s.

Looking for other HA owners to chime in on why it was the option for them for potential buyers.

I live in the city and plan to do little to no rock crawling whatsoever. I might hit a mild trail enroute to a camp site or outdoor activity (we do enjoy the Indiana Dunes from time to time), but 90% of my JTs use is a daily driver in the city. We get a fair amount of snow in Winter and I'm coming from a Challenger that took a BEATING on the street with potholes and lots of bottoming out on uneven pavement. I love the "rugged luxury" of the HA, and the ability to do/go wherever I need to. It's been the perfect "Dadmobile" for hauling all the stuff that also gets looks because its so polished. A few mods (MBRP exhaust, antennae, tonneau cover and a leveling kit) and I'm completely satisfied and love being in it. Can wait to peel off panels for the summer and beach days with the family. Why did you get your HA?

IMG_1202.jpg
I know you asked for High Altitude is owners opinions and naturally I do not own one…but I do have the the sport s altitude with most of the options (no smart cruise or proximity). I almost bought the diesel HA but the 11k price difference at the time (44 vs 55) was the primary motivator. Regardless I would still take the truck off road with some minor mods. Regardless the HA is a Jeep and has all the same basic goodies that my rig has for capability. I think they are a nice looking rig and good on you for getting it. Nice looking rig.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I didn't know there was this 'hate' for this trim. I also don't read a lot of peoples opinions. I like all the trims, but I went with the Mojave for my own reasons. I'd suggest staying away from social media and areas where anyone can voice their opinion. Just think about the dumbest person you know in real life, and realize they have access to the internet just like you ;)

BlackBessy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Director of Paid Marketing
Similar to other HA owners, I didn't go seeking affirmation prior to buying mine over the weekend. 1st time Jeep owner now, bought it because it looks amazing inside and out, not a fan of the chunky & cheap (IMO) look of the plastics (fenders/top/bumper/etc), and the interior quilted stitching is a nice addition as well. As others have said, I'm not going to be dragging it through ravines. Occasional minimal offroad, snow/ice (Oklahoma), but mostly I get the perk of having a semi-convertible truck that is smaller than what I've historically owned (full size crew cab Chevy's) that looks fantastic...again in my opinion.

Jeep Gladiator Why the High Altitude? SappsGladiator1

Binford

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I really like my HA, coming from 20 years of Mercedes Benz, its still upscale, but will go anywhere *I* want to go, but as a mtn biker, I just need it to get me to trailheads.. I put 35's on it and a level kit, with automatic steps, and a whole lot more mods and have it really how I like it now. See my showcase if you're interested in what all I have done to it.
Sponsored