First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Hello folks, another newbie question...Time to wash my Mojave I got a bit of mud on it last Friday in one of the state parks (but had a blast)...

It has a hard top...

Is just putting the transmission into neutral before entering the car wash enough or do I have to put the transfer case in neutral too?

Thanks in advance,
-Joe
Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Hello folks, another newbie question...Time to wash my Mojave I got a bit of mud on it last Friday in one of the state parks (but had a blast)...

It has a hard top...

Is just putting the transmission into neutral before entering the car wash enough or do I have to put the transfer case in neutral too?

Thanks in advance,
-Joe
Avoid the auto car wash at all costs, it’ll scratch the paint

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

It has a hard top...

Thanks in advance,
-Joe
Just place the transmission in neutral. I went through one today after mud running.
So will bushes. Car washes can be buffed out if needed, unless impressing the folks at the mall

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
LOL - really? Even those brushless car washes? So funny.

Car washes can be buffed out if needed, unless impressing the folks at the mall
Depends - most of the brush type do some serious damage that isn't going to "buff out".
I only use touchless if I am not washing it myself.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs

Depends - most of the brush type do some serious damage that isn't going to "buff out".
DA Buffer/Polisher and Meguiars 105 followed by 205 will take just about everything you can dish at it out. But I've never had any scratches from a carwash. My scratches have all been self induced. However, my VW confuses the carwashes. They hit the bumpers for some reason. I guess because it's bug shaped, and the bumpers were an afterthought for American regulations, so they kind of stick out. They always think the body lines are the end of the car, so I avoid them in that car.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hand wash with Mopar car wash concentrate is the best wash method.

Yeah, they do, seen it several times

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadows, go ahead and shine a flashlight on your paint in the garage with lights off, if you used one you’ll see the scratches are there, guarantee it

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Shadows, go ahead and shine a flashlight on your paint in the garage with lights off, if you used one you’ll see the scratches are there, guarantee it
I'm not concerned if I have to look that close for scratches. That's the price of enjoyment and a clean Jeep.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DA Buffer/Polisher and Meguiars 105 followed by 205 will take just about everything you can dish at it out. But I've never had any scratches from a carwash. My scratches have all been self induced. However, my VW confuses the carwashes. They hit the bumpers for some reason. I guess because it's bug shaped, and the bumpers were an afterthought for American regulations, so they kind of stick out. They always think the body lines are the end of the car, so I avoid them in that car.
Use with caution though, you don’t know what you’re doing can do more harm than good, and you still remove clear coat regardless which isn’t good.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, there's no scratches. Don't know how you think a brushless/touchless can scratch paint. They are simply high-pressure jets. I can do more damage with my pressure washer and the red nozzle.
There are no scratches on my truck - come and look for yourself.

Jeep Gladiator Car washing the Gladiator and transfer case 20210916_095336

Jeep Gladiator Car washing the Gladiator and transfer case 20210916_095450_HDR

muse with caution though, you don’t know what you’re doing can do more harm than good, and you still remove clear coat regardless which isn’t good.
LOL - so an expert in automotive finishes now, eh?
I've done show cars for ages, I've polished, I've buffed, I've had spots repaired and the shop buffed. That clear coat is pretty thick, it's got some depth and only a fool would burn through that.

Come on over and inspect my truck and my current show car (which has been buffed and polished more than once). Sorry, my other show car is in Texas now but I bet the young fellow who owns it would be happy to show it off.

I sort of know what I'm doing in regards to car finishes.

Jeep Gladiator Car washing the Gladiator and transfer case primed-on-trailer

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, there's no scratches. Don't know how you think a brushless/touchless can scratch paint. They are simply high-pressure jets. I can do more damage with my pressure washer and the red nozzle.

I've done show cars for ages, I've polished, I've buffed, I've had spots repaired and the shop buffed. That clear coat is pretty thick, it's got some depth and only a fool would burn through that.

Come on over and inspect my truck and my current show car (which has been buffed and polished more than once). Sorry, my other show car is in Texas now but I bet the young fellow who owns it would be happy to show it off.

you take off clear coat regardless when you use that stuff every time

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I guess I’ve never seen just a jet one where I am