Sponsored

Pics request: +6 offset with 12.50 tires on Mojave (no spacers)

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I'm looking at the same setup @Rahkmalla - what did you do about TPMS sensors?
Nothing yet but i have talked to people. My tactik 5 spokes are sitting in my basement (arrived yesterday) and my 315/70r17 walmart special kenda klevers arrive today. But those go in the basement to as everything i'm buying is for my gobi mojave manual in production. Hopefully i'll have it in a month if I'm lucky. (ordered 3/15)

Spoke to one local tire shop who's willing to move the OEM TPMS from my stock wheels to my new wheels without an extra charge, which is nice.
Sponsored

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Nothing yet but i have talked to people. My tactik 5 spokes are sitting in my basement (arrived yesterday) and my 315/70r17 walmart special kenda klevers arrive today. But those go in the basement to as everything i'm buying is for my gobi mojave manual in production. Hopefully i'll have it in a month if I'm lucky. (ordered 3/15)

Spoke to one local tire shop who's willing to move the OEM TPMS from my stock wheels to my new wheels without an extra charge, which is nice.
Thanks. I am in a similar boat. All I have is a VIN for my manual Sport S. My Kendas are due to get delivered today and I am going to be out all day; so not only are a bunch of tires for a non-existent Jeep going to arrive, but my wife will need to haul them inside off the porch. Not ideal.

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Thanks. I am in a similar boat. All I have is a VIN for my manual Sport S. My Kendas are due to get delivered today and I am going to out all day; so not only are a bunch of tires for a non-existent Jeep going to arrive, but my wife will need to haul them inside off the porch. Not ideal.
A manual sport with 35s won't be a whole lot of fun with 3.73s! Do you plan to regear? I'm a manual guy too. I think you need at least 4.1s to be happy with 35s.

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Thanks. I am in a similar boat. All I have is a VIN for my manual Sport S. My Kendas are due to get delivered today and I am going to out all day; so not only are a bunch of tires for a non-existent Jeep going to arrive, but my wife will need to haul them inside off the porch. Not ideal.
Hope you warned your wife they are 66ish lbs!

That being said, tires can be shipped naked so hopefully your wife can roll em instead of having to pick em up. Though i think i read fedex prefers boxes.

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
A manual sport with 35s won't be a whole lot of fun with 3.73s! Do you plan to regear? I'm a manual guy too. I think you need at least 4.1s to be happy with 35s.
Yeah, once I give the axles and diffs a chance to break in and any warranty issues to shake out. I'll probably look at 4.56 and 4.88.

I'm not terribly concerned about it though. 1st is quite short on the stock JT, and shifting a little higher in the range is not a big deal to me. I've driven manuals for 25 years (EDIT: 34 years. Good Lord), and most of them had a lot less power even than this wheezy V6. It will be a lot nicer to push these 35ers down the road with the stock JT diffs than it was to drive my 4spd '86 Chevy S-10 with 92hp!

Sponsored

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
That being said, tires can be shipped naked so hopefully your wife can roll em instead of having to pick em up. Though i think i read fedex prefers boxes.
Now I wish I was going to be home - oh, wait, you said the TIRES would be naked. Never mind. I'll tell her it's like one of those Crossfit tire-flipping situations. Those classes are expensive, so really these tires are saving us money.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, once I give the axles and diffs a chance to break in and any warranty issues to shake out. I'll probably look at 4.56 and 4.88.

I'm not terribly concerned about it though. 1st is quite short on the stock JT, and shifting a little higher in the range is not a big deal to me. I've driven manuals for 25 years, and most of them had a lot less power even than this wheezy V6. It will be a lot nicer to push these 35ers down the road with the stock JT diffs than it was to drive my 4spd '86 Chevy S-10 with 92hp!
As long as you're prepared to downshift a lot if you live in a hilly area. Even in a flat area, 6th and 5th will essentially be useless, so you'll be back in a 4 speed again haha.

1st and 2nd are short. But 3rd and 4th are very long. But you know what you're getting into. I have 4.1s, and it's still Ok, but I might eventually go to 5.13 (but it might be a very long eventually...)

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I have 4.1s, and it's still Ok, but I might eventually go to 5.13 (but it might be a very long eventually...)
I can't tell you how many hours i've spent window shopping for my new gladiator. 37s was the dream, but 35s are doable on 4.10s with no lift even if not ideal. While 37s are much cooler, they sure require a LOT more supporting mods. Despite the fact that I'm buying a 53k toy and adding things from there, I swear i am frugal by nature so one day this Jeep does have to reach a point where it's "done". I'm hoping I have the willpower to stop at: 35s, new rims, armorlite, katzkin, tonneau, stealth light bar, bed tent, airbedz, catch can, and tazer mini.

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
As long as you're prepared to downshift a lot if you live in a hilly area. Even in a flat area, 6th and 5th will essentially be useless, so you'll be back in a 4 speed again haha.

1st and 2nd are short. But 3rd and 4th are very long. But you know what you're getting into. I have 4.1s, and it's still Ok, but I might eventually go to 5.13 (but it might be a very long eventually...)
It's a fair point. I do plan on looking at the gearing. That said, hills are not an issue - there is a place nearby where they charge you $100 to ski down what was a 300ft tall landfill. I believe that 300ft makes it the tallest "hill" in SE Michigan. I can barely find a hill to ride my bicycle up for training (we rode 21mi the other weekend and went through less than 150ft of elevation total!). Not sure where you are in PA but if I was in coal-mining country I'd probably have a different priority for the gears.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a fair point. I do plan on looking at the gearing. That said, hills are not an issue - there is a place nearby where they charge you $100 to ski down what was a 300ft tall landfill. I believe that 300ft makes it the tallest "hill" in SE Michigan. I can barely find a hill to ride my bicycle up for training (we rode 21mi the other weekend and went through less than 150ft of elevation total!). Not sure where you are in PA but if I was in coal-mining country I'd probably have a different priority for the gears.
Not quite coal mining country (though that's where I wheel, about an hour away), but in the Appalachian region, so very hilly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
One of the things that forced my hand on the mojave was the 4.10 because I knew I was gonna want 35s. I briefly played with the idea of a MaxTow because my wife enjoys driving my current automatic willys (long story, effectively a long term loaner that I could only pick color) and maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have an automatic... but i just couldn't do it. I taught her to drive stick almost a decade ago on my FRS when we were dating, so I know at the minimum she's got the proper mindset to learn manual. Wont be that hard to teach her again.

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Not quite coal mining country (though that's where I wheel, about an hour away), but in the Appalachian region, so very hilly.
Now that I think about it, I was pushing around 32" rubi take-offs on my JKU Sport with gears that I think were just 3.21. The goddamned shifter in that thing used to shake wildly, just all over the cabin, when the engine was lugged, which was about 100% of the time. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rahkmalla , could you post a pic once you get yours mounted? We will be running the same size tire once you get your Kendas on so I just want to see what it looks like before I pull the trigger on some +6 steel wheels. Those seem to be the most positively offset steel wheels I can find, so likely what I'll end up with too.

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
@Rahkmalla , could you post a pic once you get yours mounted? We will be running the same size tire once you get your Kendas on so I just want to see what it looks like before I pull the trigger on some +6 steel wheels. Those seem to be the most positively offset steel wheels I can find, so likely what I'll end up with too.
Unfortunately you're going to be waiting a bit for me. I'm not putting the kendas with tactik 5 spokes on my current gladiator, they're going on my ordered Mojave (with the TPMS sensors out of said Mojave). So my new gladiator has to arrive before i'll even put the meats on the steels.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately you're going to be waiting a bit for me. I'm not putting the kendas with tactik 5 spokes on my current gladiator, they're going on my ordered Mojave (with the TPMS sensors out of said Mojave). So my new gladiator has to arrive before i'll even put the meats on the steels.
Then maybe it'll be me posting a picture for you
Sponsored