Sponsored

When will there be a Gladiator 4xe ? ? ? ?

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I think it’s inherent to the hybrid. I have not really researched the full layout, but if the traction motor is located in a similar location to other hybrids, it is between the engine and transmission. All that heat gets trapped and added to the trans.

The other big issue he talked about was the issue that a regear is not really possible. There’s no known way yet to recalibrate the system, so the 4xe loses all traction control and ABS, and will sometimes even slip into limp mode.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think it’s inherent to the hybrid. I have not really researched the full layout, but if the traction motor is located in a similar location to other hybrids, it is between the engine and transmission. All that heat gets trapped and added to the trans.

The other big issue he talked about was the issue that a regear is not really possible. There’s no known way yet to recalibrate the system, so the 4xe loses all traction control and ABS, and will sometimes even slip into limp mode.
Yeah, the 48 volt motor is belted in in that location, as far as my understanding. If it's being used a lot, it's gonna get hot without air flow/cooling.
So I think you answered, maybe, or at least there's a clue, as to is it all, or that one..........
There's going to be a lot of energy used there, and even though electric is vastly superior to gas in conversion (what's gas, about 30%?) there's still loss from heat, and that heat has to go somewhere.
Good thinking.
And I believe it is in the location you mentioned.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I think regearing would solve a bit of that issue though, but not quite an easy task for above reasons.

Other than that, he said it’s a great Jeep! Stock (Rubicon) he said he was over 30mpg, and it was almost as quick as a 392…

Blkout50

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired

Hmmm, seems like an isolated issue. I have a 2021 Rubicon 4xe and I haven‘t had any issues (yet) with it. I wheel it, not like I stole it, but I do wheel it. I have been cautious with my mods since the 4xe is a new platform. I am close to the lift, wheels and tire mods. I may go with 35‘s (want 37’s), but with not being able to program gearing (well known issue) in the 4xe I will stick with 35’s.

So far, I am very impressed with the 4xe. The majority of 4xe’s are working out well for their owners. A few of them, not so well. I haven’t seen or read about trans overheating issues in the 4xe forums. That doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened, just not a common issue.

btw, I got 1067.5 miles on the last tank of fuel.
Edit: I added 13.310 gallons of fuel. The last time I filled up was on March 28th, 2022.

Jeep Gladiator When will there be a Gladiator 4xe ? ? ? ? FD458D94-C128-4B16-82F2-4A9161CAD149

Last edited:

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Hmmm, seems like an isolated issue. I have a 2021 Rubicon 4xe and I haven‘t had any issues (yet) with it. I wheel it, not like I stole it, but I do wheel it. I have been cautious with my mods since the 4xe is a new platform. I am close to the lift, wheels and tire mods. I may go with 35‘s (want 37’s), but with not being able to program gearing (well known issue) in the 4xe I will stick with 35’s.

So far, I am very impressed with the 4xe. The majority of 4xe’s are working out well for their owners. A few of them, not so well. I haven’t seen or read about trans overheating issues in the 4xe forums. That doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened, just not a common issue.

btw, I got 1067.5 miles on the last tank of fuel.
Edit: I added 13.310 gallons of fuel. The last time I filled up was on March 28th, 2022.
Could be just isolated… he was running 37’s and we were on some pretty intense climbs.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the 48 volt motor is belted in in that location, as far as my understanding. If it's being used a lot, it's gonna get hot without air flow/cooling.
So I think you answered, maybe, or at least there's a clue, as to is it all, or that one..........
There's going to be a lot of energy used there, and even though electric is vastly superior to gas in conversion (what's gas, about 30%?) there's still loss from heat, and that heat has to go somewhere.
Good thinking.
And I believe it is in the location you mentioned.

The other thing is that the electric motor is there in place of the torque converter. The gas engine is either 100% engaged or 100% disengaged.

That' isn't going to work well for crawling.

Tank43

First Name
Tank43
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Sienna,
I like it. I'm excited about the idea. However, not impressed with 20 miles on the charge vs all the other brands out there. Jeep needs to do better here.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The other thing is that the electric motor is there in place of the torque converter. The gas engine is either 100% engaged or 100% disengaged.

That' isn't going to work well for crawling.
Not quite - there's a multi-plate clutch, then the motor, then another clutch, then the transmission.

You'd be using that 180 hp electric motor in the transmission a lot.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not quite - there's a multi-plate clutch, then the motor, then another clutch, then the transmission.

You'd be using that 180 hp electric motor in the transmission a lot.
I read somewhere that that clutch was able to slip a bit while engaging. But that it couldn't slip like a torque converter could slip.

I should have explained myself better. Essentially if you need to crawl at a speed lower than idle with teh gas engine, you are moving with electric power alone. It won't "ride the clutch" to let you move slower than you could with the gas engine fully engaged.

Which makes sense from a longevity perspective. Think about the software involved in managing all that.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I like it. I'm excited about the idea. However, not impressed with 20 miles on the charge vs all the other brands out there. Jeep needs to do better here.
What are you comparing that mileage to? Pure electric vehicles? Can you name a plug in hybrid SUV that has terribly greater range driving in electric only mode? Not even the Prius will beat that out by a great amount, and most of the PIH CARS only have a 40 mile range...

Sponsored

Tank43

First Name
Tank43
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Sienna,
Good point. I hadn't made a comparison. I didn't realize the Prius wasn't much more until you brought it up here, so thanks for pointing out. I had seen an article on the Rav-4 hybrid and just assumed the other automakers were further ahead.

UnforseenWeather

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave
Occupation
Creative Guy
I maintain that we saw a preview of one in the trailer for the Jurassic World Dominion movie. They went to great lengths to disguise the badging on the side, but you could tell it wasn’t a Wrangler.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
The weight of all electrics is a major concern for OHVs. Not only do they put more psi on their tire footprints in loose materials like sand, where float is the key factor to not being stuck, but they also bring garbage truck class weight to trails and contradict the whole tread lightly concept.
Better solutions lie in more efficient engines like the Hurricane, and in more efficient fuel production.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gasoline-so-clean-its-like-swapping-to-11-million-evs/

Besides, we're already seeing studies that indicate that the added weight of EVs is causing more particulate carbon emissions in tire wear than than it's saving in not burning fossil fuels.

https://www.westernjournal.com/study-turns-surprising-way-green-cars-pollute-gas-powered-engines/

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Good point. I hadn't made a comparison. I didn't realize the Prius wasn't much more until you brought it up here, so thanks for pointing out. I had seen an article on the Rav-4 hybrid and just assumed the other automakers were further ahead.
No, even the BMW and Mercedes PIH sedans are ranged out at 50 miles electric only.

I still like the idea of the 4xe, and once the issues with regearing gets sorted I'd consider one more seriously.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
The weight of all electrics is a major concern for OHVs. Not only do they put more psi on their tire footprints in loose materials like sand, where float is the key factor to not being stuck, but they also bring garbage truck class weight to trails and contradict the whole tread lightly concept.
Better solutions lie in more efficient engines like the Hurricane, and in more efficient fuel production.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gasoline-so-clean-its-like-swapping-to-11-million-evs/

Besides, we're already seeing studies that indicate that the added weight of EVs is causing more particulate carbon emissions in tire wear than than it's saving in not burning fossil fuels.

https://www.westernjournal.com/study-turns-surprising-way-green-cars-pollute-gas-powered-engines/
Ahh, but carrying a months supply of gear for a weekend "overlanding" trip is any better?

When out camping with my wife we "need" the fridge, full camp kitchen, 2 room tent, 2 queen sized air beds, 30 pillows, lights/lantern, fans.....

When out camping with son; cooler, tent, sleeping bags...
Sponsored