Tacoma vs. Gladiator

rorgan

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
My Tacoma just got totaled and I'm thinking about switching to a gladiator. I went with the Tacoma originally over the Gladiator because it was about 10 grand cheaper. Anybody went from a Tacoma to a gladiator? Glad you did it or regret it?
Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Sorry for your loss. I hope no one was hurt.

I tried to objectively drive both both. The JT has more power in the 3.6 and not even close compared to the diesel, better tech and kills the Tacoma off road in every way you can throw at it. The aftermarket seems to also be more economical. Oh and you get four disk brakes. Have you ever been topless or doorless in a taco?

The Tacoma is nice truck and it is known to be reliable so really not crapping on it. It’s just not a JT.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
It's not really an apples to apples game.
If I was strictly in the market for just a great reliable mid sized pickup the Tacoma would win every time.
I've had two, both of which Toyota warranted years past their original factory warranty. They're great, great trucks.

What they are not is top and doors removable, killer great looking inside and out, and upgradable to insane levels without serious body modifications.

As far as factory model to factory model, the Tacoma is extremely capable off road and a joy to drive on road.

BGH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Finance
Right here my friend! I’ve owned three small Toyota trucks. The last one was a 2020 Off road double cab long bed. Clumsy behavior in every way. Terrible transmission (my first ever automatic). My gladiator is really new but I like it much more than that tacoma. It feels like a way smaller footprint which is nice in the city. More nimble. Better ride. A manual transmission. And I’m hoping a more capable 4x4. I love it.

jeepfreakedc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
After having four Jeeps (my last one was the Chrysler minivan engine and a maintenance nightmare), I had a Tacoma for 3 years…. Until I saw the JLUR. I immediately ordered one and loved it. I really missed my Taco though, but couldn’t go back to not being able to drive around w no top or doors. Now I’ve got a Mojave and it’s awesome! Most fun I’ve ever had in a car. I still love the TRD Pro Tacomas, but the Gladiator is definitely my choice.

Sponsored

Advntrbound

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I'm debating this as well. I know that every manufacturer has issues, my last jeep had a bad transmission and the Gladiator is getting cams and rockers replaced. I'm doubting the longevity of the Gladiator.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I'm debating this as well. I know that every manufacturer has issues, my last jeep had a bad transmission and the Gladiator is getting cams and rockers replaced. I'm doubting the longevity of the Gladiator.
Jeeps are very long lasting, they just can be initially buggy, at least that's my experience. QC isn't that great all the time from the factory. But once you get any initial issues out, under warranty, it'll be great for many miles. Just think how many XJs, YJs, and TJs are still going strong. They didn't have a stellar reputation for reliability then either (have they ever?).

My JT has been mostly rock solid, other than an axle leak that was repaired about 9000 miles ago. My wife's JKU we bought used, but it and its 3.6 are going strong. The TJ we used to have had 240k on it before it just finally rusted too much for state inspection.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Just be honest with yourself. Are you going to take the top and doors off and modify the truck? No? Save the 10k and get the Tacoma. Yes? No comparison, the extra 10k (plus mods) will be well spent.

There's no shame in how you will or won't use it. The only shame is lying to yourself. Every time I see a completely covered and stock in everything but rims JT, JKU, or JLU on a beautiful day I shed a single tear like an Native American seeing trash on a highway. Don't blow 10k on wishful thinking. The Tacoma is a great truck. The Gladiator is much better... if you use it for what it's meant for.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Just be honest with yourself. Are you going to take the top and doors off and modify the truck? No? Save the 10k and get the Tacoma. Yes? No comparison, the extra 10k (plus mods) will be well spent.

There's no shame in how you will or won't use it. The only shame is lying to yourself. Every time I see a completely covered and stock in everything but rims JT, JKU, or JLU on a beautiful day I shed a single tear like an Native American seeing trash on a highway. Don't blow 10k on wishful thinking. The Tacoma is a great truck. The Gladiator is much better... if you use it for what it's meant for.
Edit: Misspelled. There was Scotch.

Jeep Gladiator Tacoma vs. Gladiator 6kgd8w

Last edited:

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
My Tacoma just got totaled and I'm thinking about switching to a gladiator. I went with the Tacoma originally over the Gladiator because it was about 10 grand cheaper. Anybody went from a Tacoma to a gladiator? Glad you did it or regret it?
I’ll tell you soon. I’ve had five Tacomas including my current 2018 TrdPro MT. I’ve off roaded all over the SW for 20 years. I have a JTR MT coming 7/1. I’ll return to this thread and let you know. Have my Taco sold for original MSRP.

Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Not exactly apples to apples because the last Toyota “truck” I owned was a Taco about 10 years ago. In my opinion, Toyota just doesn’t make a great at anything vehicle. That’s okay for some and consumer reports love them because of it, but I constantly had trouble with both my Tundra (brakes, driveshafts and lackluster drivetrain) and Taco (again, brakes and lackluster drivetrain). Again, just my personal observations and preferences.

I recently ran some trails with a tricked out Taco and handled everything much easier and better. Driver… perhaps, I do have years of experience on him. I also hate how low the seats are in Toyotas. Feels like I’m sitting on the floor. I mean you are on a Gladiator forum, so what did you expect. 😉

Advntrbound

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Jeeps are very long lasting, they just can be initially buggy, at least that's my experience. QC isn't that great all the time from the factory. But once you get any initial issues out, under warranty, it'll be great for many miles. Just think how many XJs, YJs, and TJs are still going strong. They didn't have a stellar reputation for reliability then either (have they ever?).

My JT has been mostly rock solid, other than an axle leak that was repaired about 9000 miles ago. My wife's JKU we bought used, but it and its 3.6 are going strong. The TJ we used to have had 240k on it before it just finally rusted too much for state inspection.
Same can be said about the Tacos. I've owed 2 and put over 100,000 miles on each. Neither had a single issue. Both of my jeep have has serious power train issues outside the warranty.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Same can be said about the Tacos. I've owed 2 and put over 100,000 miles on each. Neither had a single issue. Both of my jeep have has serious power train issues outside the warranty.
Agreed, vehicles today are miles ahead in reliability compared to years gone by, but if we review empirical data, Toyota probably has the edge. Although, they and Honda did get caught covering up warranty claims a few years back. However, it’s probably a game they all play.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I'm definitely not saying Tacos aren't long lasting. I don't think anyone in their right mind would.

My choice when I got my Gladiator was between the Tacoma TRDpro and the Gladiator. I went with the gladiator for the bigger backseat, more comfortable driving position, outward visibility, and of course the convertible factor.

I had a hard time getting comfortable in the cockpit of the Tacoma. But I really wanted to like it, because I've always wanted one, since the 90s, when it was just called Toyota "Truck" with no name. I haven't had any powertrain issues in any of the three Gladiator/Wranglers we've owned, but my Compass did need an engine at I think 32000 miles, under warranty. It was the 2.4.

Randonexplosion

First Name
Randon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I was trying to talk my wife into a Gladiator but she hated the look at first. She found a pic of a decked out overland style Tacoma and wanted one. We went and test drove a Tacoma and she found it to be lacking in power and character. Just felt bland to drive. Drove a Gladiator Rubicon and it was harsh and the hard top whistled. Jumped in a Mojave and she fell in love. 58k later and she is happy as can be. Pulls the freedom top panels as often as she can.
Sponsored