Gladiator vs Tacoma IMO

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Had a 16' taco off road hated the seating position felt like I was sitting on the floor and the transmission was constantly shifting it seemed confused
The automatic in my 2018 TRD Off-road was basically bi-polar, never knew what kind of behaviour was going to come from it!
Sponsored

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
The automatic in my 2018 TRD Off-road was basically bi-polar, never knew what kind of behaviour was going to come from it!
Bi-polar and a little psychotic, you never knew if it would leave you in oncoming traffic when turning. I think creeping up on turns would keep the tranny in 3rd+, then you step on it and have nothing, then it dumps to 1st and screams the last 10'. Too bad the manual had more recalls and reliability issues than the AT (look up the TSBs/recalls on those suckers).

Arcticelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, '13 Tacoma
I owned a 98 Tacoma prerunner, and a 21 TRD off-road. Loved the 98. Absolutely hated the way the 21 drove. Gear hunts like a mother effer. I even regeared with 5.29, and got a tune. Was still underwhelmed. I can't knock their durability. But I just hated driving the damned thing, and it got worse mileage than my 98. I miss the small size of the gen 1 tacos.
The JT diesel rubi just works the way it should right out of the dealer lot with no mods or tunes. I'm loving it so far, even though I used to think it was ugly, and too big (as noted above, I miss the SMALL pickups of the 90's).
Yeah, the mini-truck days were great. I had a '93 Nissan, fantastic little truck, and it was rated for more cargo capacity than a 3rd gen taco.

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
Well in order to enjoy it, I have to get in it.

Since even in 2019 Toyota still builds their vehicles to fit your average sized Japanese buyer, it wasn't even a contender for me.

If you are a manlet Tacoma is a pretty capable vehicle, built by a reputable company with excellent resale. But if you're large enough that you don't buy your clothes in the youth section of your favorite department store, there is simply no seating position in one of them that is comfortable for more than a short trip.

Sorry, I didn't watch your video, but I did bump your thread, so there is that.
This makes me laugh because Conan O'Brian drives one and he is a giant lol

Sponsored

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
I came seriously close to buying a ā€˜20 Taco in 2019 because it was the only decent truck left with a manual transmission. Then I saw the Gladiator come on the market. I absolutely made the right decision with the Jeep. There is a reason that I prefer a canoe to a kayak. The Taco sits like a kayak and that is just not comfortable for me. Even for a short drive down the street. Looking back, the manual was the only reason that I considered it.

wachuko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Love the looks of the Tacoma TRD Off-Roadā€¦. And went a couple of times to test drive oneā€¦. I hated the transmissionā€¦

I just could not do itā€¦. I ended up buying a Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison dieselā€¦

I am happier with my Mojave nowā€¦ only thing I miss is a slightly larger/taller bed.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I had the 2017 TRD Sport, M/T for 3 years, then an elk got up close and personal to me on the highway and took me out. If that not had happened, Iā€™d still have that vehicle. I was going to my death bed in it. For all my years of 39 years of driving, Jeep was never on the radar.

Post accident, and driving my first 2021 JTR auto, the two glaring differences to comfort and being capable are (besides lockers) the bed on the Tacoma is 19ā€ deep, the JTR is 17ā€. Two inches is a big deal if hauling certain tools to the job site or maybe want a pull out fridge and want to lock up a tonneau cover. So my jeep fails there but I make do.
Where the Jeep wins, (besides having more power, and looks better) is thereā€™s 6ā€ more leg room for the adults in the back seat. Thatā€™s a big deal to me and for those long legged creatures that make their way back there.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
I had the 2017 TRD Sport, M/T for 3 years, then an elk got up close and personal to me on the highway and took me out. If that not had happened, Iā€™d still have that vehicle. I was going to my death bed in it. For all my years of 39 years of driving, Jeep was never on the radar.

Post accident, and driving my first 2021 JTR auto, the two glaring differences to comfort and being capable are (besides lockers) the bed on the Tacoma is 19ā€ deep, the JTR is 17ā€. Two inches is a big deal if hauling certain tools to the job site or maybe want a pull out fridge and want to lock up a tonneau cover. So my jeep fails there but I make do.
Where the Jeep wins, (besides having more power, and looks better) is thereā€™s 6ā€ more leg room for the adults in the back seat. Thatā€™s a big deal to me and for those long legged creatures that make their way back there.
Likewise with a car seat. My wife was keen on a TRD but we decided the back seat with a car seat was too cramped = toddler kicking your seat back.

She ended up being intrigued by then really liking as she put it, how close the windshield is. Much better visibility in our opinion which is great day to day but a big advantage off road.
Sponsored