First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
It's not really an apples to apples game.
If I was strictly in the market for just a great reliable mid sized pickup the Tacoma would win every time.
I've had two, both of which Toyota warranted years past their original factory warranty. They're great, great trucks.

What they are not is top and doors removable, killer great looking inside and out, and upgradable to insane levels without serious body modifications.

As far as factory model to factory model, the Tacoma is extremely capable off road and a joy to drive on road.
I'd be careful with that statement - a co-worker of mine has one and it burns about 3/4 of oil between oil changes (they were told this was normal) - also timing chain rattle, etc. I've read that they have issues with grenading the chains/gears (causing the engine to fail in an epic way). Toyota is not what they used to be. The old 4.0 V6 sure - that thing was a tank (same with the 5 speed auto) this new stuff... i am a bit skeptical on.
Sponsored

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Coming from someone who test drove a '21 Taco before getting the Gladiator - the Taco is more refined (less road noise inside) - however it just doesn't feel as burly as the Gladiator. IFS vs Solid Axles for one. The new 3.5 V6 is also not without issues, seeing others having engine issues is what really put me off the new Tacoma's... these engines have laser welded cylinder liners - like many new engines that use this new manufacturing process they all seem to burn oil. Even the most fanatically Toyota diehards will agree that these new engines are nowhere near as stout as the previous 4.0 v6 (and can't hold a candle to the 5vz and especially the 22R). IMO the pentastar is a more reliable/durable engine than the new Toyota 2GR .

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
I had a 2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road I bought brand new then sold it bought 2021 JT Rubicon new off lot. Prior to the Tacoma had a 2008 FJ Cruiser (Loved). Both the 2016 Toyota and 2021 JT were loaded from factory with all options so I can give a pretty good comparison between the two. Engine and trany on Tacoma was not great, it was always looking for gears and it lacked low end torque. The Jeep 3.6 is a better off the line torque engine, plus 8 speed is better than 6. Gas mileage was a bit better in Tacoma, just not a fan of their newer engine. the 4L in the FJ was great. Infortainment stereo's top line Toyota JBL to Jeep Alpine. Jeep. Better sound, much better interface, better cameras.
Comfort, well Toyota you sit on the floor, Im shorter so not much of an issue but taller friends hated it. Jeep is more comfortable, the back seat has more room in Jeep.
The TRD Off Road with rear locker will take you a lot of places the Jeep Rubicon will take you more with two lockers and a crawler transfer case as well as straight axel front end.
Tacoma for better road manners but Gladiators are not bad on highway due to long wheel base.
Tacoma is still a great looking truck. Especially the outside interior is lacking I think Jeep is nicer but it should be it was 20K more than my Tacoma.
The Jeep roof comes off so do doors but you will pay a little with road noise. I think the Jeep like my FJ or the new Bronco have "IT" and by it I mean they are kind of retro cool looking that while the Tacoma was cool it was just ....well everywhere.

Gliebig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Punk'n
Vehicle Showcase
My Tacoma just got totaled and I'm thinking about switching to a gladiator. I went with the Tacoma originally over the Gladiator because it was about 10 grand cheaper. Anybody went from a Tacoma to a gladiator? Glad you did it or regret it?
I traded in a 2017 Taco for my Gladiator. The only thing I miss is the 6ft bed. The Jeep is better in every other category.

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
Taco fan boys need to watch out secondary air injection pump going out for each bank. Cost is approx 700 bucks each! Enjoy your tacos while it last!

Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I had a 2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road I bought brand new then sold it bought 2021 JT Rubicon new off lot. Prior to the Tacoma had a 2008 FJ Cruiser (Loved). Both the 2016 Toyota and 2021 JT were loaded from factory with all options so I can give a pretty good comparison between the two. Engine and trany on Tacoma was not great, it was always looking for gears and it lacked low end torque. The Jeep 3.6 is a better off the line torque engine, plus 8 speed is better than 6. Gas mileage was a bit better in Tacoma, just not a fan of their newer engine. the 4L in the FJ was great. Infortainment stereo's top line Toyota JBL to Jeep Alpine. Jeep. Better sound, much better interface, better cameras.
Comfort, well Toyota you sit on the floor, Im shorter so not much of an issue but taller friends hated it. Jeep is more comfortable, the back seat has more room in Jeep.
The TRD Off Road with rear locker will take you a lot of places the Jeep Rubicon will take you more with two lockers and a crawler transfer case as well as straight axel front end.
Tacoma for better road manners but Gladiators are not bad on highway due to long wheel base.
Tacoma is still a great looking truck. Especially the outside interior is lacking I think Jeep is nicer but it should be it was 20K more than my Tacoma.
The Jeep roof comes off so do doors but you will pay a little with road noise. I think the Jeep like my FJ or the new Bronco have "IT" and by it I mean they are kind of retro cool looking that while the Tacoma was cool it was just ....well everywhere.
Toyota is so far behind when it comes to tech, their infotainment is an absolute joke, looks as if it’s something out of the late 90s.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m sure the taco only has better road manners because of IFS but honestly my overland still rides really well, if anything the taco most likely only rides slightly better.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
My Tacoma just got totaled and I'm thinking about switching to a gladiator. I went with the Tacoma originally over the Gladiator because it was about 10 grand cheaper. Anybody went from a Tacoma to a gladiator? Glad you did it or regret it?
I actually totaled a Taco and have a JT now. I prefer the JT. If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to pontificate. The taco did save my life so hey, there is that.

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
I’m sure the taco only has better road manners because of IFS but honestly my overland still rides really well, if anything the taco most likely only rides slightly better.
Yes, I would give the Taco a "slight" advantage as far as freeway, not much probably due to IFS. However, it really wasn't much difference when I had taco with small lift. The Gladiator gets compared to regular Jeeps. Don't get me wrong with each generation they get better and better. I had TJ that rode better than my YJ and YJ rode light years better than the CJ 5. But even todays models the two door not as nice on freeway as 4 door and neither as straight tracking as Gladiator due to long wheel base, the trade off is it high centers quicker than the shorter other two. Overall I think the Gladiator rides fine, in fact last year coming out of Tahoe I looked down as speedo and was like "oh brown stuff" I was moving at like 90+ and older Jeeps you would have known that with out looking down. PS Love the color of your Overland ;)

Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I would give the Taco a "slight" advantage as far as freeway, not much probably due to IFS. However, it really wasn't much difference when I had taco with small lift. The Gladiator gets compared to regular Jeeps. Don't get me wrong with each generation they get better and better. I had TJ that rode better than my YJ and YJ rode light years better than the CJ 5. But even todays models the two door not as nice on freeway as 4 door and neither as straight tracking as Gladiator due to long wheel base, the trade off is it high centers quicker than the shorter other two. Overall I think the Gladiator rides fine, in fact last year coming out of Tahoe I looked down as speedo and was like "oh brown stuff" I was moving at like 90+ and older Jeeps you would have known that with out looking down. PS Love the color of your Overland ;)
Haha, thanks bud, love yours too, it’s the best color imo.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I don't, I was too worried about hitting it. Damn thing tied up 4 JT's, a wrangler, and two scouts for close to an hour. They should have given up and let everyone pass earlier on.

@FR33DOM do you have video of the TRD Taco we had to go around today? :LOL:

@Waggs @DocMike

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
@FR33DOM do you have video of the TRD Taco we had to go around today? :LOL:

@Waggs @DocMike
Yeah this guy had no business up there yesterday. Running solo, fully inflated, no gear, and no experience…

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
My 9 year olds call them trail blockers for a reason.

Yeah this guy had no business up there yesterday. Running solo, fully inflated, no gear, and no experience…

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
I was lucky, first truck, first 4WD: Mojave, absolutely love it!

Classy vehicle in a Jeepy way.

Off road beast (for stock)...

I studies everything in its class and they all have compromises, but Mojave had the most "boxes" checked by far...I discounted the TC early, look was not for me...Mojave visuals makes a special statement which none other it its class can compare.
Sponsored