Sponsored

Gladiator vs Tacoma IMO

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Three recalls on my 2018 Tacoma Pro, one of them potentially dangerous. Many here have never had their Gladiator in the shop other than routine maintenance. It would be nice if the world was black and white, but it isn’t.
To be fair, Toyota is super jumpy about recalls and issues them much faster than most.

And most of us haven't had our trucks long enough to really show issues. I'd have no worries owning a Toyota for 200k, I do not have the same faith in my JT.
Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
To be fair, Toyota is super jumpy about recalls and issues them much faster than most.

And most of us haven't had our trucks long enough to really show issues. I'd have no worries owning a Toyota for 200k, I do not have the same faith in my JT.
I guess we'll see. I usually sell or trade my trucks at four or five years, and if Jeep builds a Gladiator hybrid or PHEV, I'll get that when available.

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave

Toyota is slow as possible with everything they do to Tacoma's. UUmmm drum brakes, transmission since 2016 that is just a giant pile of shit ( hated mine, it was upsetting to drive due to the transmission ). My 2009 Tacoma had more issues than any of my Jeeps, and it was always a fight with the dealers.

Value wise, sure they're good but have you traded in a top trim Jeep product before? The value is just as good.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Toyota is slow as possible with everything they do to Tacoma's. UUmmm drum brakes, transmission since 2016 that is just a giant pile of shit ( hated mine, it was upsetting to drive due to the transmission ). My 2009 Tacoma had more issues than any of my Jeeps, and it was always a fight with the dealers.

Value wise, sure they're good but have you traded in a top trim Jeep product before? The value is just as good.
Why is drum brakes the thing everyone brings up like it's some huge gotcha? Do you actually understand how little the rear brakes do on a pickup and how completely unnecessary rear discs are on these trucks? The only reason they have them is people like you think they're of value and expect them to be there.

Arcticelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, '13 Tacoma

When equivalent trim Tacos were ~10K cheaper than a jeep that value argument made more sense. But now they are similarly priced, I'm not seeing it.

Sponsored

Arcticelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why is drum brakes the thing everyone brings up like it's some huge gotcha? Do you actually understand how little the rear brakes do on a pickup and how completely unnecessary rear discs are on these trucks? The only reason they have them is people like you think they're of value and expect them to be there.
Drum brakes suck, but you're correct they do the job just fine on a midsize truck.

Let's talk about the Tacoma "C" channel frame that flops like a wet noodle when you load it.

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
I've been on trails with more than one Tacoma with drums jammed with mud causing a lot of headaches. Not sure if this was a build up over time or not, but I can be certain I've never seen this kind of locked up wheel with discs due to trail conditions. Real world experience in this case.

Arcticelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been on trails with more than one Tacoma with drums jammed with mud causing a lot of headaches. Not sure if this was a build up over time or not, but I can be certain I've never seen this kind of locked up wheel with discs due to trail conditions. Real world experience in this case.
I've seen disks get rocks sucked into the pad, and we had to strip it apart on the trail. But that's pretty rare.

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Not sure what I posted way back at the start of this thread.... I've had 2 Tacoma's, a 2009 reg cab with a full OME suspension setup and a 2018 access cab TRD Off-road. The auto transmission in my 2018 was a very upsetting pile of sh!t at best. The Jeep 8spd is the smoothest automatic I can think of based on my different rigs.

I still like the Tacoma's though, I hope the next gen is an actual improvement/re-designe, not just a BS dummy facelift and a crap powertrain. If so I will consider it next round.

Before taking delivery of my 2018 I had to drive 3 Tacoma's to get one that didn't have the barely notable vibration from the drivetrain, this is total shit - it is pathetic that this same issue from 2005 is STILL occurring on new 2022 Tacoma's.

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
I've seen disks get rocks sucked into the pad, and we had to strip it apart on the trail. But that's pretty rare.
I've had this occur, but what didn't happen was a full lock up of the rear end due to the brakes taking a full on shit in their own pants! Ruined a disc or a few, but that's not so bad in comparison.

Sponsored

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Tech
Well, I came over from a 2021 TRD Pro Tacoma. I loved it except for the long drives. Until then, I had never even considered Jeeps (at all). I cut my teeth in high school and beyond with FJ-40's. Had one in high school and one later in life. I always enjoyed the reliability of Toyota's. But, my wife wanted to trade her 2018 4Runner for a Gladiator. She picked out a Gladiator Overland. I made a trip for work (put 2K miles on it) and it was much more comfortable for me than the Tacoma. A bit noisier, but more comfortable. So, a week after the trip while visiting the dealer I saw a Rubicon on the lot and traded the Taco. The Rubicon is much better on the trails I travel.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
78,000 trouble free miles so far and I use my JT as a truck (read: I am not easy on it).

I’ve owned Toyota trucks and cars, they are good But they still have their issues like any other vehicle.

I can tell you for a fact that no Toyota truck would be doing what I’ve done with my 2020 (purchased October 2019). I’ve just driven 1200 miles hauling a 14 foot enclosed trailer loaded with up to 7000 lbs (600 mile trip) no load less than 5000 lbs in high winds, rain, 104* heat and cruised at 65-70mph (except in 60 MPH side wind). 10 mpg average… my jeep is on 3.5” RE lift with back end sagged to the bump stops (RE extended bump stops off.; No, I am not happy with that and the shop was supposed to put HD rear overland rated springs on the JT). I monitored all the vitals like a hawk and the Jeep did the job flawlessly (I’ve owned diesel one ton trucks and hauled some heavy stuff for many years).

🤔 oh and Toyota Trucks will never do it with the top down either! 🤣

OH, and I’m on 37’s, 4:10 gears, with JB RTT XXL on full height rack (250lbs).

loved it when I’d pass any newer Yota truck, Tacoma or Tundra as they struggled with their lighter (most times much lighter) load up hills on the interstate.

No, IMOP with real world experience in both trucks, the Toyota Tacoma does not hold a candle to the JT. I don’t even think it is fair to Toyota to compare it to the JT.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Tacoma IMO FF034226-5227-4290-9299-98DA14C6A6A6

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Tacoma IMO 1697CF6D-07C6-4AC9-9810-6D14FDF2817F

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Tacoma IMO 22DB5CD6-3357-4979-B91B-C33DF48B8E46

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Tacoma IMO 43720A06-2CF5-4021-9129-143E4997CDF1

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Tacoma IMO A259FD0D-6EFC-468D-B315-E38289359A59

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Tacoma IMO 1DAD4D49-89F9-40BB-BE70-16D462046900

citadelfox

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Physician Associate
I owned a 98 Tacoma prerunner, and a 21 TRD off-road. Loved the 98. Absolutely hated the way the 21 drove. Gear hunts like a mother effer. I even regeared with 5.29, and got a tune. Was still underwhelmed. I can't knock their durability. But I just hated driving the damned thing, and it got worse mileage than my 98. I miss the small size of the gen 1 tacos.
The JT diesel rubi just works the way it should right out of the dealer lot with no mods or tunes. I'm loving it so far, even though I used to think it was ugly, and too big (as noted above, I miss the SMALL pickups of the 90's).

Kirk*Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Mojave/toyota camry
Had a 16' taco off road hated the seating position felt like I was sitting on the floor and the transmission was constantly shifting it seemed confused
Sponsored