Sponsored

What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community?

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
I hate the Jeep Wave, but only because nobody ever waves at me in my SJ, only in my JT 😢
Good lord that Cherokee is awesome. People shouldn't wave, they should salute.
Sponsored

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
Let me see..
  • V8s aren't that special. Any modern V8 is going to have as many reliability issues (thank you cylinder deactivation) and at elevation in the Rockies a turbo will maintain power better anyways. I've had several v8s, don't miss them in the JT.
  • Related ^ I'll put an electric swap in my LJ before I do a Hemi/LS swap when the time comes. Double unpopular, if I did do a v8 swap I would do a small displacement v8 like the baby Triton (4.6) or a Toyota 4.7 if kits were actually available.
  • 3rd party superchargers just get you faster to a ruined engine. These and v8 swaps are the silliest way to burn money and get stuck in the middle of nowhere, if you aren't competing off-road that is. Even then there's so much better use of money for OR performance.
  • If those 20"+ rims aren't accompanying a 40"+ tire, you're doing Jeep abuse and should be turned in.
  • Lifts and big tires without accompanying dents/scratches/dirt in your teeth is just wrong.
  • If we were smart we would just own Mavericks or a gen 1 Taco 😝

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
Based on your timing of being in high school when the JK was out, I'd say we're probably about the same age. My best friend in HS had a '97 TJ then (that I later bought from him), and the wave was was definitely a big thing then. I'm guessing mid 00's+ish? I remember waving every time I rode in that thing.
You penned me correctly ;), although going back and looking at the model years and release dates it was more college than high school. I would certainly trust your recollection on this over mine. Maybe there weren't as many jeeps around me in that area as there seems to be now (likely, as that would have been at the very front end of the JKU. Also, they had a liberty before that, and maybe I am mixing up experiences), or I it was that my wheel time was much less often for it to make an impression.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
The fact that it's an option is even worse. How many design/engineering resources are devoted to something that's optioned on 10ish% of JTs? My argument would be that those resources would be better spent on other stuff. Every hour a cubicle dweller spends thinking about MTs would be better spent thinking about gaining some added fuel efficiency, etc.

It's cool tho. I know some people love their MTs. I mean, the subject was "unpopular opinions." ;)
Uhhh the MT is a bit more efficient cruising than the auto :)

Sponsored

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
"Ford is sure selling a lot of those Mavericks"
Can we please have a discussion about rebranding the name from an ugly POS to this?
Seriously.....!!!

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
Start/Stop is necessary?
JeepCares ~ do they really, post sale?
Wait for me to think your opinion of how I should mod MY Jeep matters

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
This is a case where "size doesn't always matter"
The FILE size is what slows things down, The display size is not necessarily connected to the file size.
Reduce the resolution the number of pixels, or when saving you don't need to make it photographic quality. Computer and phone screens can only display so many pixels.
Anything for the web can be really stripped down and still be great viewing - it just won't print like a photo on a photo printer.
I can make 2 filles that will display the same "size" on your screen, but be very different in file size - and that's what slows things down. We don't need pictures of a file size 1 meg or bigger - that sort of quality won't matter on a screen.
And then there`s this...
You can avoid this issue with newer phones/PC`s and better internet. Unpopular opinion: if it`s slow, then upgrade!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
And then there`s this...
You can avoid this issue with newer phones/PC`s and better internet. Unpopular opinion: if it`s slow, then upgrade!
In our case, it would mean moving.
People assume broadband, cable, fiber, whatever, is everywhere. It's not as good as people assume.
This country is way behind on internet.

Sponsored

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
In our case, it would mean moving.
People assume broadband, cable, fiber, whatever, is everywhere. It's not as good as people assume.
This country is way behind on internet.
We used to have 3Mb from ATT, then we got fiber!
I save $2400 a year in internet/phone/tv now, and I can pay off the Jeep LOL

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
We used to have 3Mb from ATT, then we got fiber!
I save $2400 a year in internet/phone/tv now, and I can pay off the Jeep LOL
Still using AOL?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Custom colored bits like door hinges, angry grills, foot rest hinges, grill accent lights, neon accent lights to light up wheel wells or underbelly. Double points for equal amounts of tattoos so you can grab attention when you're not in your "rig".
Man my JT lives with a foot rest in the hinge when the doors are off. That is the most comfortable way to ride

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Uhhh the MT is a bit more efficient cruising than the auto :)
It's actually not and MTs haven't been more efficient than automatics in a long time. The use of selective lockup made that whole thing a thing of the past. At full lockup the AT is going to win because the deeper OD.