Sponsored

Wonder if I can make my own overlanding rack...

bdubya73

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
Analyst
So, I'm new to a Gladiator (but not Jeeps, I've had four Wranglers) and LOVE the ability to mod the absolute crap out of them. That's the main draw for me. Anyway, I got a Glady this time because I can admit the need to have a truck option but still have the good parts of a Wrangler. Now that I have a bed I wanted to try my hand at one of those sweet tent/rack setup deals. But dang a good overland rack is about as much as the Glady itself! And I am not a fan of the uber squared off racks that are so prevalent. So then my brain got churning and was trying to figure out if there was some kind of pipes out there that were kind of modular in a sense. Kind of like erector sets for grown ups. I eventually ran across these DIY exhaust kits and I was like ... hmmm could this work? Before I drop $150 on this amazon beaut can anyone with more knowledge (read: sense) tell my why this might NOT work? Unless I'm missing something my brain says I could use the 90 degree elbows right at the cab and then the four 45 degree bends could be at the back end of the rack, one at the top and then one at the bed (to make the total 90 bend). Then I could attach them left and right with maybe an H pipe ?

Jeep Gladiator Wonder if I can make my own overlanding rack... 1672237737773
Sponsored

wachuko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Someone with more knowledge can chime in... IMHO, I would not use that... Would rather use better (thicker wall) tubing...

OP
OP
bdubya73

bdubya73

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
Analyst
See this is the brain power I was talking about. I honestly didn't consider wall thickness. But yea if I'm sitting up on top of that thing, I'd hate for it to buckle or wobble...

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
Someone with more knowledge can chime in... IMHO, I would not use that... Would rather use better (thicker wall) tubing...
This exactly. Exhaust tubing is generally lower wall thickness (.049 - .065) and in 304 or 321 stainless. Most quality racks are going to use .125 or 1/8” I would also add that most mounts these days are generally not friendly with large diameter round tubing.

OP
OP
bdubya73

bdubya73

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
Analyst
Awesome info. Thanks so much for the feedback. I just didn't realize that part. Anyone know if there are any kind of DIY tubing kits for racks (but in the correct thickness?) I can't seem to find anything...

Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Whatever you do don't make it out of PVC pipes and fittings. I've seen people do it on other forums, and you will get laughed out of town.

OP
OP
bdubya73

bdubya73

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
Analyst
Whatever you do don't make it out of PVC pipes and fittings. I've seen people do it on other forums, and you will get laughed out of town.
Haha yea thanks. I already had that brief idea and slapped my dang self for such a dumb idea

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
Or to save weight, maybe extruded aluminum like 80/20 or from tnutz.com. This is basially what the Prinsu racks are made of.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bdubya73

bdubya73

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
Analyst
Or to save weight, maybe extruded aluminum like 80/20 or from tnutz.com. This is basially what the Prinsu racks are made of.
That's a great idea. We use a lot of 80/20 here at work. My only problem is, I'm not a fan of the squared off tubing. I'm trying to find something rounded. And I need something that's gonna have a 45 degree angle option too. Picky I know...

OP
OP
bdubya73

bdubya73

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
Analyst

RobbertCole

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 Mustang GT
That's pretty dang cool. Ever get any side to side movement with a load? Or have any idea what the weight limit might be on those? I quickly glanced at the website and I couldn't find any specs on what the weight limit is?
when its stationary and im in the tent its rock solid. there is some slight movement when offroad. Went all over the Big Horns bouncing off rocks and had zero issues with it. for more static load you could just add another set of risers.

my tent is ~100lbs and im 220lbs
Sponsored