Sponsored

Our Willys build.

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Been a minute since I updated my build thread, we sold our home -> moved and had a great trip to San Antonio and back. Since the move we've been buttoning up preps for our Wyoming trip, we leave Friday.

After dozens of outings and a few big road trips (26k miles on my 2021 EcoD and I work from home) we started zeroing in on a bed slide to allow easy access to our gear for the whole family. 100% of the time previously, I was the person getting X out of the bed. Super ok the first few trips but not awesome long term especially when we have bins, coolers etc. that need shuffling around.

Landed on a Slide Master AH3 based bed slide for the following features:

- Built in the USA
- Low profile
- Extends a whopping 120% while supporting 700lbs fully extended. 1200lbs if capped at 75%.
- Ability to specify custom IMS spring lock points. I have them every 25% on out to 120%.
- Built like a tank

We've put this slide to good use, leveraging it for everything from a picnic table (all the time actually) to being laden with our gear as seen in the pics.

All that said, I would never recommend this slide nor this company to anyone. I won't extensively bash the company here but it is the first time in a very long time that I firmly believe that I would have better off sacrificing a few features to go with an $800 china-made slide readily available with free shipping from any Jeep big-box store. It does precisely everything I need it to but you cannot fathom the nightmare of an install this was. So bad that Slide Master had to call the owner of the only known installed example and ask them how he achieved it after I sent them pics showing where the mounting points land (directly on the bed seams, both sides, with zero wiggle room). Odd you might say given they have a "gladiator" selection when filtering products. One of many, many issues but again, not going to rant much. Suffice to say, this is not designed for our truck beyond simply ensuring the frame and tray can theoretically fit. Avoid at all costs.

On a brighter note, the Dometic CFX3 75DZ along with its' slide has been fantastic. To date I haven't seen it pull more than 49 watts. We've got a Delta EcoFlow for when we are static so I installed Cascadia's VSS panel kit w/ controller to trickle charge the primary battery while allowing an additional 12v out to charge the EcoFlow when we are posted at camp for extended periods.

My wavian can mounts got back from powder in time for me to get them mounted. Motobilt's quality is fantastic and Bonehead performance coatings once again did a great job. You can't see it in the pics but I've got a safe jack kit in a 50 cal. can next to the wavians just before the tool kit you see strapped to the mounts.

No issues to report with the truck outside of the leaking rear axle which is slotted for repair July 7th. I've been topping off the fluid every 1,500 or so miles with about a teaspoon of axle oil. The Toyo Open Country AT III tires have held up extremely well. I'd estimate I've gotten about 20k on them with plenty of tread left, likely another 10k left easily.

Ok onto the pics!

slide_retracted.jpg

dometic-cfx3-75dz-slide-open.jpg

slide_open_right.jpg

slide_open_right_bed.jpg

slide_open_left.jpg

slide_open_left_bed.jpg

cascadia_vss_panel.jpg

cascadia_mppt.jpg
Beyond the fit issues you had with the slide, how has it held up over the long term? Rust? Issues due to dust/dirt/snow/rain/etc? I’m wondering if they’ve improved since then. I saw an interesting set up - someone put a slide master in the gladiator and then an ez-slide on top of that! In case you’re wondering what the e-z slide is, you can mount your fridge on it, it takes up same space as your fridge slide, and when you pull it out, you pull down a lever and it drops it so its easier to reach inside. Maybe not for everyone but when you’re like me and 5’3 and plan to eventually lift the gladiator, it’ll be super convenient.

I just need to find a trust worth slide first. Looking at slide-master and decked
Sponsored

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Beyond the fit issues you had with the slide, how has it held up over the long term? Rust? Issues due to dust/dirt/snow/rain/etc? I’m wondering if they’ve improved since then. I saw an interesting set up - someone put a slide master in the gladiator and then an ez-slide on top of that! In case you’re wondering what the e-z slide is, you can mount your fridge on it, it takes up same space as your fridge slide, and when you pull it out, you pull down a lever and it drops it so its easier to reach inside. Maybe not for everyone but when you’re like me and 5’3 and plan to eventually lift the gladiator, it’ll be super convenient.

I just need to find a trust worth slide first. Looking at slide-master and decked
It has held up very well, zero rust. I had the Dometic slide mounted to it. It’s beyond stout, we’ve had picnics on it with my family of four fully extended. If you order one, make sure they don’t pre-drill the main frame nor aluminum side. Also, the locking points at each 25% interval helps a ton. It’s an upcharge for them to do but worth it.

I still wouldn’t go with them unless they priced it as a DIY universal slide since you have to re-drill the mounting frame and slide. It’s at least a half-days worth of work marking, drilling, shifting rinse and repeat. Get body washers & good hardware (it comes with none) and triple-check the underside before drilling.

Jeep Gladiator Our Willys build. IMG_0310

Jeep Gladiator Our Willys build. 1691928353537

Flhryder

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2006 Corvette
Occupation
Retired
Dedicated snow set on. Got the full setup with TPMS sensors for under $1,100 shipped. $627 for the Toyo WLT1 in 285/70R17 and $479 shipped for the Tactik wheels and a full set of (post 6/15/21 build date) Mopar TPMS sensors. Hit the steelies with ceramic before balancing.

I was looking forward to testing the AT3s but when I realized I could run a dedicated set for right around 1k on the cyber deals etc. I decided to go that route.

Jeep Gladiator Our Willys build. 1691928353537
Cyber deals For tires?

Flhryder

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2006 Corvette
Occupation
Retired
Yep, typically the Monday after Thanksgiving many online venders run big discounts.
Ok. Got it. I thought I was missing something. Nice truck. Mine is stock except for Oracle taillights. It only has 2800 miles.

Jeep Gladiator Our Willys build. 70559573015__271FA715-34CC-4BF5-B6AB-B66E6FDAE653

Sponsored

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It has held up very well, zero rust. I had the Dometic slide mounted to it. It’s beyond stout, we’ve had picnics on it with my family of four fully extended. If you order one, make sure they don’t pre-drill the main frame nor aluminum side. Also, the locking points at each 25% interval helps a ton. It’s an upcharge for them to do but worth it.

I still wouldn’t go with them unless they priced it as a DIY universal slide since you have to re-drill the mounting frame and slide. It’s at least a half-days worth of work marking, drilling, shifting rinse and repeat. Get body washers & good hardware (it comes with none) and triple-check the underside before drilling.

Jeep Gladiator Our Willys build. 70559573015__271FA715-34CC-4BF5-B6AB-B66E6FDAE653

good to know and thanks for the feedback. A shop I rely on for most of my work sells slide master and has done a ton of installs. They usually get a break on the price so I’ll check to see what the total install is.

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
good to know and thanks for the feedback. A shop I rely on for most of my work sells slide master and has done a ton of installs. They usually get a break on the price so I’ll check to see what the total install is.
That may very well work out perfectly if you can get a deal. After thousands on it with a UT/WY/MT trip two weeks from arrival after being delayed, all the nonsense I had to deal with on the install was the last thing I expected BUT if you have a shop that’s worked with them, they can likely knock it out quickly.

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None

do you remember the dimensions you ordered? I’m on the fence between this, cargoglide from decked, bedslide, and I just found out about FrontRunner.

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
do you remember the dimensions you ordered? I’m on the fence between this, cargoglide from decked, bedslide, and I just found out about FrontRunner.
I didn’t order via dimensions, they have a dedicated Gladiator product page with their own specific dimensions. As posted though, if I had to do it again I would just order a sub 1k/cheaper slide. Install sucked with mine, lots of new holes had to be drilled etc. End result was great but they should charge half what they do given all the custom work needing to be done in order to mount it.

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
Post tune and weight loss this beast feels like an entirely different truck. The tune is rated at 80HP & 140WTQ and despite it being so heavy it feels extremely light from a dig and picks up speed effortlessly from a roll uphill.

It's sounding like it should too.

Thats a ton of power increase ... how's the MPG ? I may go the same direction, love stock power but looking for increased reliability and efficiency.

Sponsored

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Thats a ton of power increase ... how's the MPG ? I may go the same direction, love stock power but looking for increased reliability and efficiency.
MPGs were about the same as stock but admittedly I was getting after it quite a bit more so I suspect MPGs would improve if driving habits remained the same. The moment you floor it though and hear all that audible goodness coming from a kooky Jeep pickup though... You won't be able to stay out of the pedal. It's just absurd in a perfect way.

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
MPGs were about the same as stock but admittedly I was getting after it quite a bit more so I suspect MPGs would improve if driving habits remained the same. The moment you floor it though and hear all that audible goodness coming from a kooky Jeep pickup though... You won't be able to stay out of the pedal. It's just absurd in a perfect way.
Haha, I can understand that… when I hit the ecodiesel lotto and my stocker decides I have won full power privileges, it feels great! Add 25% must be nutz
Sponsored