Sponsored

1000 miles leaking axle, metal shavings in differential

SnazGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Just a head's up. my JT has about 1000 miles on it. I'd seen post about leaking rear axles so I checked. Yep, it's leaking.
I told a friend to check her JT as well, it has about 2k miles on it. Yep, it's got the leaking rear axle.

The dealer just called to say on looking over my Jeep, they also found shavings in the rear differential. They need to order a new one.

I've had many Wranglers and Rams over the years, no big problems. Then, my 2020 Ram Limited 4x4 was a lemon. In and out of the shop for months over a fuel issue, never could be fixed. @RamCares, Ram corporate in the mix. Eventually lemon law lawyers too as the buyback took over a year.
I really didn't want to give the truck back but it just couldn't get fixed. Stuff happens, I get it.

Anyway, so now @JeepCares
I'm waiting to hear how long for a new rear differential to arrive. The axle was pre ordered awhile ago and already in.
Meanwhile, my JT sits useless at the dealership for who knows how long as a result of this differential issue now just found.

Mine is a loaded up $64k January 2021 Mojave build. My friend's is a bare bones, even roll down windows, just has the tow package, April 2021 $39k Sport. So, whatever your trim level, check your rear for a drip!

Then, when it's in, have them check the rear differential. Depending on how long you've been leaking, the rear axle leak could affect your rear brakes as well and they may need replacing too. Be sure they verify their condition either way.

I'm a lifelong Jeeper. So, all this just an FYI for fellow Jeepers to watch out for.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just a head's up. my JT has about 1000 miles on it. I'd seen post about leaking rear axles so I checked. Yep, it's leaking.
I told a friend to check her JT as well, it has about 2k miles on it. Yep, it's got the leaking rear axle.

The dealer just called to say on looking over my Jeep, they also found shavings in the rear differential. They need to order a new one.

I've had many Wranglers and Rams over the years, no big problems. Then, my 2020 Ram Limited 4x4 was a lemon. In and out of the shop for months over a fuel issue, never could be fixed. @RamCares, Ram corporate in the mix. Eventually lemon law lawyers too as the buyback took over a year.
I really didn't want to give the truck back but it just couldn't get fixed. Stuff happens, I get it.

I'm waiting to hear how long for a new rear differential to arrive. The axle was pre ordered awhile ago and already in.
Meanwhile, my JT sits useless at the dealership for who knows how long as a result of this differential issue now just found.

Mine is a loaded up $64k January 2021 Mojave build. My friend's is a bare bones, even roll down windows, just has the tow package, April 2021 $39k Sport. So, whatever your trim level, check your rear for a drip!

Then, when it's in, have them check the rear differential. Depending on how long you've been leaking, the rear axle leak could affect your rear brakes as well and they may need replacing too. Be sure they verify their condition either way.

I'm a lifelong Jeeper. So, all this just an FYI for fellow Jeepers to watch out for.
That's exactly what I've been suggesting to folks - if there's lube on the brakes, the dealer must replace the brakes - both sides. Never just one side. Don't try to clean brake pads, especially under warranty.

OP
OP
SnazGlad

SnazGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
That's exactly what I've been suggesting to folks - if there's lube on the brakes, the dealer must replace the brakes - both sides. Never just one side. Don't try to clean brake pads, especially under warranty.
I was prepared for needing a new rear axle, that's why I had them look at the axle ahead of time while I waited, then said I'd come back when it was in. I also was prepared and did have them verify the leak hadn't touched the brakes yet.

However, I was surprised to hear about the metal shavings in the rear differential as I'd not seen anything on that yet.

So, hopefully this post will help others not get caught with that issue while out of warranty due to years or mileage.

I'd read your posts on the brakes and that reminded me to have them checked while the axle was being done. Thanks!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm starting to have my doubts about these new AdvanTek axles.

- Fluid leaks, assumed to be a poor manufacturing tolerance on tube end
- New style pinion bearing grinding issues on some trim levels
- Metal shavings contaminating fluid heavily in lots of <15,000 mile fluid samples

I really wish they'd leave well enough alone.

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport

Thanks for the warning. That's disappointing to hear. I was just under mine preparing for winter. No leaks here

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm starting to have my doubts about these new AdvanTek axles.

- Fluid leaks, assumed to be a poor manufacturing tolerance on tube end
- New style pinion bearing grinding issues on some trim levels
- Metal shavings contaminating fluid heavily in lots of <15,000 mile fluid samples

I really wish they'd leave well enough alone.
Interesting in hearing more about some of that - esp the pinion bearing thing, and have you been seeing talk of several people sending in fluid samples?
Seems to be the later axles, though - so far, doesn't appear to be first half of the 2020 model year, for example. All seem to be in recent months.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the warning. That's disappointing to hear. I was just under mine preparing for winter. No leaks here
None of them appear to be 2020 models - at least not the first half of that model year.

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
man im surprised that,that is happening,on my previous gasser jt i did the ARB diff covers at around 10k miles and there was really no metal shavings just the normal,no problems for me but that aint no longer my truck but im gonna check what's up on my new ecodiesel at 10k again since i already got some new red summit machineworks diff covers so ill be back at 10k miles :D

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
11/20 Mojave build here. No leaks as of yet but I’ll be monitoring. If and when one comes up I will definitely have them check everything. Awesome post, thank you.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting in hearing more about some of that - esp the pinion bearing thing, and have you been seeing talk of several people sending in fluid samples?
Seems to be the later axles, though - so far, doesn't appear to be first half of the 2020 model year, for example. All seem to be in recent months.
Yeah Rubicon owners were frequently having noise and clicking on the rear axle. Turned out to be the new pinion bearings. Apparently they went to a ball bearing style for lower friction.

And lots of people have talked about how nasty their fluid is at low mileage. Seems like a sign of excessive wear. Improper gear lash maybe?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah Rubicon owners were frequently having noise and clicking on the rear axle. Turned out to be the new pinion bearings. Apparently they went to a ball bearing style for lower friction.

And lots of people have talked about how nasty their fluid is at low mileage. Seems like a sign of excessive wear. Improper gear lash maybe?
These, perhaps? (pic below)
Makes me a bit nervous on maintaining the pinion direction under extreme forces as the thing wants to climb the ring gear anyway. Maybe ok, but......

Too much lash would result in some hammering.

Jeep Gladiator 1000 miles leaking axle, metal shavings in differential 68401292AA-SP-V1

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
These, perhaps? (pic below)
Makes me a bit nervous on maintaining the pinion direction under extreme forces as the thing wants to climb the ring gear anyway. Maybe ok, but......

Too much lash would result in some hammering.

Jeep Gladiator 1000 miles leaking axle, metal shavings in differential 68401292AA-SP-V1
Yep they're doing everything they can to find fuel economy and it's making vehicles less reliable.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care

Feel free to send us a private message with more details and we can assist you.

Kate
Jeep Cares

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care