Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I know it would make it easier. Because it’s made to take a winch. Or wench. Lol.
Hmmm, my wife may not like a wench sitting on the bumper...........

Now to find a LOCAL Rubicon steel bumper take-off that someone doesn't need because they went with an after-market shorty or similar. Shipping would absolutely KILL anything out of central Iowa.
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
You can help by using a snatch block - double the pulling plus you have the advantage of pulling out more cable or rope, getting closer to the hub or middle of the spool.
My boss used snatch blocks a LOT. He could pull a freight train off the tracks sideways, I swear, with the way he rigged the cable and locked the truck down with chocks.
He often had to pull vehicles out of fields and up ditches in bad weather. Like he said - you can double the pulling power with a single snatch block, even more with two, or even reverse the direction of pull.

I bought a 12,000 because it was on sale, cheap, and my wife is always wanting things moved, dead trees taken out (at several hundred dollars a pop if you pay someone), and I have to move and load cars I've stripped parts off of onto my trailer to haul for scrap.
But a rolling car - I have pulled onto my trailer with a BOAT WINCH or a $40 come-along.
I pulled one onto my trailer that had the front differential hanging free (the guy pulled the engine out and the front differential hung by the front enging mounts) that means both front wheels were LOCKED - using come-alongs.
Mud that will suck the boots right off your feet when you take a step is going to really load things down bad. Weight and suction.
I used to think maybe I could just use a 9000 pound winch until I did some digging - naw, I'd likely regret it.
The 10k was on sale and was significantly cheaper than the 12k version, like $200 cheaper, so I compromised. Hope I dont regret it. Winch has over my JT's gvwr on it's top layer of line so hopefully with snatchblocks I will get out of the sticky mud we have

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Now to find a LOCAL Rubicon steel bumper take-off that someone doesn't need because they went with an after-market shorty or similar. Shipping would absolutely KILL anything out of central Iowa.
I found a guy in GA who sold me his for $525 shipped. See a few such deals around thr forums, especially the JL site. $400-450 for the bumper and skid plate (OEM not the ebay knockoff crap) and $100 for the shipping.
I had to spend another $100 on mounting brackets and bolts/nuts to have fresh/spares. Brackets are a must, you could get by with the nuts from yours. I have a list of parts from my install thread

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant

it ends up being more expensive than you’d think because the bumper doesn’t come with the winch plate, and the winch plate costs nearly as much as some winch-ready aftermarket bumpers unfortunately.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/winch-mount-kit

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
it ends up being more expensive than you’d think because the bumper doesn’t come with the winch plate, and the winch plate costs nearly as much as some winch-ready aftermarket bumpers unfortunately.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/winch-mount-kit
Prime reason why I went aftermarket. I love the look of the Mopar steel bumper for after everything you need to mount the winch AND the price of the bumper, it is definitely cost prohibitive when stout aftermarket bumpers can be had for half the price of just the mopar bumper.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just don't want to change the look of the front, want plug and play as far as existing lights and such.
I don't climb 10' rocks (there aren't any around here, the glaciers crushed them to gravel) , I don't need the fronts of the tires open, nor do I want that at this time.
No big rocky trails, just mud and muck and snow and ice.

I'd prefer to keep the stock look as far as bumper. I actually don't mind it. Perfect, no, but I can't complain about it either.

Could be after a while there will be enough of those folks swapping bumpers on the Rubicon the price will come down, like it has on the take-off springs and shocks. Those are down quite a bit from a year ago.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prime reason why I went aftermarket. I love the look of the Mopar steel bumper for after everything you need to mount the winch AND the price of the bumper, it is definitely cost prohibitive when stout aftermarket bumpers can be had for half the price of just the mopar bumper.
Rugged Ridge mount worked on my Mopar bumper.

I went with the Mopar bumper because when combined with the Smittybilt X20 winch the winch sits below the grill and does not impede airflow at all. The bumper/winch combos seen on other JLs and JTs all seemed to sit a little higher than the bottom of the grill

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Rugged Ridge mount worked on my Mopar bumper.

I went with the Mopar bumper because when combined with the Smittybilt X20 winch the winch sits below the grill and does not impede airflow at all. The bumper/winch combos seen on other JLs and JTs all seemed to sit a little higher than the bottom of the grill
That's what I'm after - LOW profile, not up in the grill, stock look. (Not that it would necessarily cause over-heating I'm not going there), but I still prefer the low profile and would rather not mess with the grill appearance.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I'm after - LOW profile, not up in the grill, stock look. (Not that it would necessarily cause over-heating I'm not going there), but I still prefer the low profile and would rather not mess with the grill appearance.
The Rugged Ridge bumper seems like it would even sit lower, and close to stock but has poor reviews on quality/fit

gged-ridge-spartacus-front-bumper-jl-11544.21-main.jpg

Mopar
maxresdefault.jpg

Sponsored

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
The Rugged Ridge bumper seems like it would even sit lower, and close to stock but has poor reviews on quality/fit

Jeep Gladiator 12,000lbs winch maxresdefault

Mopar
Jeep Gladiator 12,000lbs winch maxresdefault
Benefit of Mopar bumper is you can switch back and forth from stubby or not.

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
I bought the Warn winch mount off Amazon, It was still pricy at $270, nowhere near the Mopar plate.
That’s not nearly as bad. In all fairness I didn’t shop around much because I also wanted D-ring mounts and was just looking for justification to ditch the factory bumper.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
What type of vehicles would a 12,000lbs winch pull. I see a lot fo people with 12,000lbs winch and I’m wondering what are they pulling with it.
My Superduty diesel had a 16.5 Warn on it when I sold it. Worked well and never left me feeling underpowered.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes it's amazing how much alike some of these winches look............
Sponsored