First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I really haven't decided what I want to do about wheels and tires...but the Jeep community is one of the most intriguing groups I have kind of enveloped myself in to...I did a lot of researching online and I see a lot of people tend to typically stick with either 17-18" wheels or they go crazy and go big 22" or more. Which made me wonder...why don't you see a lot of 20" wheels with 33s or 35s? I have seen a few other trucks and it looks like a real nice combo, I have even seen it on a few Wranglers and it seems to be a nice mix of style and function. Maybe I am missing something?
Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
:lipssealed:

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
People who put 22"+ wheels on an off-road vehicle had decided never to do any serious off-roading, but rather to try to look like a New Orleans pimp as they drive through urban areas.

People with 17" or 18" wheels retain the off-road ability to go through rough terrain without scraping the wheel or popping the bead. They also can air down to good effect.

20" wheels accomplish neither. It's neither really crazy pimpish nor capable off road. Can't really get the full benefit of airing down either.

Perhaps that's the reason?

OP
OP
Br4hm4

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Linux Engineer
People who put 22"+ wheels on an off-road vehicle had decided never to do any serious off-roading, but rather to try to look like a New Orleans pimp as they drive through urban areas.

People with 17" or 18" wheels retain the off-road ability to go through rough terrain without scraping the wheel or popping the bead. They also can air down to good effect.

20" wheels accomplish neither. It's neither really crazy pimpish nor capable off road. Can't really get the full benefit of airing down either.

Perhaps that's the reason?
That's an interesting take. Especially coming from the world of low profile cars. Typically plus sizing wheels would give you benefits of better cooling for brakes. It gives you the option of going to Alloy wheels that are typically stronger than steel wheels that are smaller in size. The bigger wheels are usually lighter if not the same weight so potential for better mpg is there. With them being lighter there is less unsprung weight. Gives you room for bigger brakes...so from a performance aspect...seems like a better overall choice...but like I said...that is coming from the world or sports cars and high performance vehicles.

I know a lot of vehicles are coming from the facotry with 20 inch wheels these days...vehicles like the F150 Super Crews.

I can see the point from the rock crawlers...you need to air down a lot to get over what you want.

I guess if you were to keep the same tire diameter then it would be kind of worthless, but if you were going for a slightly higher profile like I want...the overland comes with 255/70/18 going to a 20 inch wheel with 285/60 would give it a very simliar look (proportionally) as factory (other than wheel look), just sit about an inch higher than stock with no lift.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That's an interesting take. Especially coming from the world of low profile cars. Typically plus sizing wheels would give you benefits of better cooling for brakes. It gives you the option of going to Alloy wheels that are typically stronger than steel wheels that are smaller in size. The bigger wheels are usually lighter if not the same weight so potential for better mpg is there. With them being lighter there is less unsprung weight. Gives you room for bigger brakes...so from a performance aspect...seems like a better overall choice...but like I said...that is coming from the world or sports cars and high performance vehicles.

I know a lot of vehicles are coming from the facotry with 20 inch wheels these days...vehicles like the F150 Super Crews.

I can see the point from the rock crawlers...you need to air down a lot to get over what you want.

I guess if you were to keep the same tire diameter then it would be kind of worthless, but if you were going for a slightly higher profile like I want...the overland comes with 255/70/18 going to a 20 inch wheel with 285/60 would give it a very simliar look (proportionally) as factory (other than wheel look), just sit about an inch higher than stock with no lift.
I'm just saying, for example, you can do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zZMOt4_W6k with 33"-37" tires on 17" wheels. If you tried it with 33" tires on 20" wheels, I think you would damage the wheels. Stock F150 Super Crews wouldn't make it through that type terrain because of limited clearance and wheel articulation. So, there's not much of an issue with going with 20" wheels on them.

That being said, when I bought a 2015 GMC Sierra CC, it came with 20" wheels BECAUSE I got the All-Terrain package with skids, rear locker, etc. ..., which is absurd. The first thing I did was take them off and sell them.

iInOaLY.jpg

aCjURz2.jpg

I actually got a decent price for them because some people like that sort of thing on trucks.

EDIT: For example, these are just 35s on 17"x9" wheels, and you can see how much tire there is there (9") protecting the wheels and the bead.

ZO0Yk6u.jpg

These can take A LOT more abuse than could that setup on the first Sierra pic.

I think if you tried this with a 20" wheel on anything less than 37s, you could not do this without damaging the rim:

XDPZRon.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
@MarineHawk said it perfectly. I tried to type out a reply a couple of times, but found I couldn't put it as...eloquently.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Rule of thumb for any vehicle that will air down to increase ride comfort offroad is at minimum. equal amounts of rim and tire.
Ideally, if you want to run a 20in rim and maintain offroad air down capability you would need a 40 in tire. The problem there is that most 20s are bro dozer rims with really bad offsets and super-wide setups. I can't ever recall seeing a 20x8 rim. So what happens when bro dozer does decide to go offroad is those rims get rock rash really bad because the lip sticks out further than a purpose-built narrower rim where the wider tire. I have rock rash on my 17s already running 37in tires. if that rim was a 20x10 most likely would have cracked or shattered the lip destroying instead of just scuffing the lip.

OP
OP
Br4hm4

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Linux Engineer
Rule of thumb for any vehicle that will air down to increase ride comfort offroad is at minimum. equal amounts of rim and tire.
Ideally, if you want to run a 20in rim and maintain offroad air down capability you would need a 40 in tire. The problem there is that most 20s are bro dozer rims with really bad offsets and super-wide setups. I can't ever recall seeing a 20x8 rim. So what happens when bro dozer does decide to go offroad is those rims get rock rash really bad because the lip sticks out further than a purpose-built narrower rim where the wider tire. I have rock rash on my 17s already running 37in tires. if that rim was a 20x10 most likely would have cracked or shattered the lip destroying instead of just scuffing the lip.
ok that seems to make more sense to me. The most narrow wheel I have seen has been around 20x9 with a -18 offset. Which I think would have them poke out just a little bit compared to stock. Never heard of the rule of thumb as it pertains to airing down. I know I will eventually get on dirt trails and all that...but don't see myself taking it off huge rocks and all that. Kind of why I am avoiding a lift for now.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
ok that seems to make more sense to me. The most narrow wheel I have seen has been around 20x9 with a -18 offset. Which I think would have them poke out just a little bit compared to stock. Never heard of the rule of thumb as it pertains to airing down. I know I will eventually get on dirt trails and all that...but don't see myself taking it off huge rocks and all that. Kind of why I am avoiding a lift for now.
I nailed the rims on moderate trails. nothing I would even remotely consider 4wd necessary. Pretty sure a subi would make it but I was being lazy in my line choice.

AND -18 will stick out ALOT overstock. If I recall correctly the factory is a +45. I run +7 and they stick out an inch from the fender. AEV makes a rim that is +25 which they advertize as the perfect offset for the JT and JL.

Another thing to consider is metal will always weigh more than rubber. If a 15in rim would fit the brake drums on the JT I would have went that way vs the 17. all that extra weight is gonna be felt. your overland has the 3.73 gears. You might be okay but I fell you will be needing to regear if you go for a heavy combo like you are debating. Im running 37s that come in right at 100lbs combined weight per corner.

30lb rim 77lb tire

the same rim in a 20in is 47lbs and the same make model tire in a 35 12.5 x 20 weights 74lbs. That tire in a 37x12.5r20 is 80lbs.

You are gonna hate it on factory gears with those heavy ass wheels.
Sponsored