2020 Jeep Gladiator Crash Test

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Just me, but I won't be basing my buying decision on this vehicle based on it's crash rating. Hell, I ride a motorcycle.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Just me, but I won't be basing my buying decision on this vehicle based on it's crash rating. Hell, I ride a motorcycle.
i already bought mine, i'm stuck.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I just noticed that this JT was in 4WD when it crashed. At 3:24/25 you clearly see the front driveshaft spinning

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I just noticed that this JT was in 4WD when it crashed. At 3:24/25 you clearly see the front driveshaft spinning
That's not an indication that 4WD was active. Even when disconnected, the front driveshaft will spin with movement of the front wheels. Engaging 4WD provides power to that driveshaft at the transfer case, it doesn't do anything at the front differential.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Crash tests are performed engine OFF, no fuel. They are propelled via a track system, a backwards sling-shot of sorts, that pulls the vehicles into the wall.
They don't want one to explode or burn and destroy their facility.

They remove all gas (or diesel) and flush the fuel system and use a solvent with a dye so they can track leaks, tank integrity after the crash, etc - WOULD it have possibly burned? How much fuel WOULD have gotten out and where?
So they are generally in neutral, no fuel, engine off, etc.
In fact, they remove ALL fluids - no brake fluid, no antifreeze, no washer fluid. Who's gonna mop up after a crash?

If that shaft is turning, my guess is that it's friction from other spinning parts since everything is flushed out, empty, no lubes.

Jeep Gladiator 2020 Jeep Gladiator Crash Test iihs-track-pulley

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's not an indication that 4WD was active. Even when disconnected, the front driveshaft will spin with movement of the front wheels. Engaging 4WD provides power to that driveshaft at the transfer case, it doesn't do anything at the front differential.
Via "friction", etc. it's just idling along with nothing actually forcing it to move. You could likely grab it and stop it.
Besides, crash tests are done with everything in neutral, no fluids, everything empty, engine off.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Crash tests are performed engine OFF, no fuel. They are propelled via a track system, a backwards sling-shot of sorts, that pulls the vehicles into the wall.
They don't want one to explode or burn and destroy their facility.

They remove all gas (or diesel) and flush the fuel system and use a solvent with a dye so they can track leaks, tank integrity after the crash, etc - WOULD it have possibly burned? How much fuel WOULD have gotten out and where?
So they are generally in neutral, no fuel, engine off, etc.
In fact, they remove ALL fluids - no brake fluid, no antifreeze, no washer fluid. Who's gonna mop up after a crash?

If that shaft is turning, my guess is that it's friction from other spinning parts since everything is flushed out, empty, no lubes.

Jeep Gladiator 2020 Jeep Gladiator Crash Test iihs-track-pulley

Via "friction", etc. it's just idling along with nothing actually forcing it to move. You could likely grab it and stop it.
Besides, crash tests are done with everything in neutral, no fluids, everything empty, engine off.

Shows how little I know. Thanks for the education

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
There have been 3 or 4 real life examples of JT accidents on this forum complete with photos that I can think of. Small sample size, but they've fared pretty well compared to the vehicles that hit them.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I would be more interested in the roll over capabilities and comparisons.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A couple folks here have had rollovers and been fine. A few show up on fb groups also
I wonder how it compares to the Grand Cherokee. Even one of the Jeep engineers says they want their own family in a Grand Cherokee because of the ability to protect occupants.

The donor I got my 4.0 from was an early Grand Cherokee - a ZJ. It had been flipped end for end and landed on the roof. The sheet metal on the outside was flat, the pillars were intact and on the inside it was hard to tell anything even happened.
Makes me glad my wife loves her Jeeps.

Not that I want anyone at all to flip a JT to find out how well they do - but since my wife is with me about 1/3 of the time I drive it, I want it to be safe and know that it's safe.

Her sister was broadsided in her Trailblazer and it wasn't pretty - the thing flipped and hit on the roof and caved it down the dash at the left A pillar.

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
Interesting. Didn't realize the cowl pieces were plastic until I saw that drivers side piece break. They were always metal before. No dent worries if your door swings forward.
Sponsored