Sponsored

2020 Jeep Gladiator Crash Test

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Aren't those wheels and that grill a Sport? I don't see the Overland or Rubicon grill "trim" in that video.
You are, as usual, most likely correct. There's always a chance that for testing purposes they removed decals and such, but I don't know enough about the industry and so I thought to ask. I bet a steel bumper would have added to the performance
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Built like a WWII TANK! Holy cow! :surprised:

Good news: Whatever you hit is going to lose.

Bad news: There was NO deflection in the A-pillar, cab structure, or frame. The windshield didn't even crack. The truck is so rigid and so tank-like that the energy in a crash is going into the occupants.
I realize you are into transportation in some way, shape or form - but IMO, watching especially the slo-mo parts there was a lot of energy going into the frame and front drive train. The differential was driven back which translates into the front driveshaft and transfer case and the frame had to bend and flex with the front end being shoved back. The chassis seemed to take the brunt while the cabin didn't.
Or am I incorrect in that the mass of the front drivetrain parts, and the very heavy track bar and steering parts - and frame and all, buckled taking a whole lot of the force?
I saw that as a good thing - you totally destroy the drivetrain, likely bust the transmission and transfer case all to heck by shoving the engine back and the front drive shaft into the t-case but save the cabin.
Am I wrong?

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
whew, no frontal offset video..... Most people don't crash directly into a brick wall. partial frontal is the real test.
The frontal offset is designed to favor small cars I. The lab but doesn’t translate to the road. Frontal offset is supposed to simulate a head on collision. The problem is head on collisions, more often than not, involve two vehicles off different mass. In a big dog little dog fight I always put my money on the big dog. Which dog you got your money on in an F250 vs Ford Focus battle?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The frontal offset is designed to favor small cars I. The lab but doesn’t translate to the road. Frontal offset is supposed to simulate a head on collision. The problem is head on collisions, more often than not, involve two vehicles off different mass. In a big dog little dog fight I always put my money on the big dog. Which dog you got your money on in an F250 vs Ford Focus battle?

is this a trick question?
Neither, they're both Fords and suck!

while you're probably right, our jeep jts against a car in frontal offset, we should win, when they do the crash testing, its frontal offset, right into a wall, perhaps not so likely, but i've seen the frontal offset JL european video (if i recall correctly) and the jeep didn't look great.

Sponsored

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
The jeep it is body on a ladder frame, the front has built in crumple zone so that in a accident the engine, transmission and drive train will shear off an go under the cabin. The cab is designed to protect the contents by use of roll bars and doors should have anti penetration bars built in case of side impacts this also as as structure for door support to prevent distortion in every day use.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
is this a trick question?
Neither, they're both Fords and suck!

while you're probably right, our jeep jts against a car in frontal offset, we should win, when they do the crash testing, its frontal offset, right into a wall, perhaps not so likely, but i've seen the frontal offset JL european video (if i recall correctly) and the jeep didn't look great.
You have the right to your opinion it Ford sells more trucks in one month than Jeep will sell Gladiators in a year. http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/ford/ford-f-series/

3-pedal-Rub

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Night Train, Buell Lightning, TL, 4runner, JTR
So that's how you get the pillar caps off...

Dumbo61

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade Trailhawk, 2019 Chevy Bolt
They didn’t have a rating up on the NHTSA website, but I expect it to be the same as the Wranglers 4 stars. Everything is pretty much the same, other than weight differences.

The 2019 Tacoma also got 4 stars.
Results are up now and you were right.

jeep.jpg

View attachment 49162

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Why are the occupants placed so far forward? No one sits that close to the steering wheel!
While not average, I have seen plenty of cases over the years, especially small stature women that place their seat position all the way forward.

Besides, if you are testing for safety, you want to worse possible scenario for your testing data.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I'm curious as to why the driveshaft was spinning prior to impact. Was it in 4wd? Would that change the impact? I know, I'm weird...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
While not average, I have seen plenty of cases over the years, especially small stature women that place their seat position all the way forward.

Besides, if you are testing for safety, you want to worse possible scenario for your testing data.
My wife runs the seat almost full forward in anything she drives. I can't even get into her Grand Cherokee unless I run the seat back first. It was the same with my Silverado - that had seat/mirror memories, thank goodness. First thing she asked about the JT - how to you get the seat to move forward. it's just how some people drive and how some feel comfortable.
Don't forget - not everyone is built perfect to your standards - my wife's arms are not typical.
People tend to forget - others may not be as well built as they are.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The jeep it is body on a ladder frame, the front has built in crumple zone so that in a accident the engine, transmission and drive train will shear off an go under the cabin. The cab is designed to protect the contents by use of roll bars and doors should have anti penetration bars built in case of side impacts this also as as structure for door support to prevent distortion in every day use.
Yup - like I said earlier, the mass of the front differential, engine, transmission and transfer case will absorb a whole lot of energy and are expendable. Protect the cab, sacrifice the drive train.

That's why when designing the JT for towing the engineers responsible for coming up with better cooling couldn't get the front width changed for a larger radiator - all that stuff had already been tested and certified. Can't mess with it.
Sponsored