Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Micah Muzio of KBB reviews the Jeep Gladiator Mojave off-road.

Video Review:

Review Notes:

The 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave is a new and different beast built atop the foundation of Jeep’s popular pickup truck. Jeep has dubbed the Mojave “Desert Rated”, an expansion of the brand’s Trail Rated moniker, which is reserved for their most capable off-road offerings. With 33-inch Falken all-terrain tires, stronger axles, cast-iron steering knuckles, a 1-inch suspension lift, a reinforced frame, and Fox 2.5-inch internal bypass shocks, the 2020 Gladiator Mojave is crafted for high-speed blasts through hot, sandy, rutted trails. That all sounds good on paper but how does it translate to actual desert? Our man, Micah Muzio, ventured solo into the Mojave desert to find out.

At Kelley Blue Book we’ve already reviewed and enjoyed the Jeep Gladiator pickup, but we’re gonna target this video on what makes the Mojave unique among Gladiators. Item 1. The Mojave is Desert rated. Look there’s a badge to prove it.

What does Desert rated mean? Well, according to Jeep that means their vehicle has passed “strenuous tests” in 5 categories.

Ride Control and Stability (specifically over undulating terrain)
Traction (say, on tricky surfaces like dirt and sand) Ground Clearance (for cresting whoops and dunes)
Maneuverability (when driving at high speeds through challenging environs)
Desert Prowess (And finally, the swimsuit completion. No, I made that one up. The last one is Desert Prowess, which equals an ability to endure high temps and intrusive sand and dust)

So, the Mojave premise is high-speed maneuverability in vast open spaces. Alright, let’s try that out. Half inch wider track adds slightly more confidence when driving sideways.

The Mojave’s enhanced whoop-ability comes via Fox 2.5-inch internal bypass shocks featuring external reservoirs to keep damping fluid cool plus hydraulic front jounce bumpers that provide additional damping force when the suspension bottoms out.

According to Jeep’s press materials the Mojave also has standard 33-inch Falken all-terrain tires, stronger axles, cast-iron steering knuckles, a 1-inch suspension lift providing 11.6 inches of ground clearance, and a reinforced frame.

Assuming you’d like to use your Gladiator Mojave as a pickup truck, you have 1,200 lbs of payload and 6,000 pounds of towing capacity to exploit. That pulling power is provided by Jeep’s familiar 3.6L Pentastar V6 (285hp, 260lb-ft). Yes, that’s the same output as a standard Gladiator. And here are some fuel economy figures for those who care. (17city/22hwy— automatic, 16city/23hwy — manual) As for transmission choices, an 8-speed automatic is optional… But a 6-speed manual comes standard. For dispensing the V6’s power, Jeep has fitted their Command-Trac 4X4 system. That means there’s a two-speed transfer case with a 2.72:1 low range gear, Dana 44 axles, and an electronic locking rear differential. And for those who like angles, here’s are some angles. ( Approach 44.7° , Breakover 20.9° , Departure 25.5° )

While staring at the exterior I’ll note that the Mojave is visually distinguished by its silver front skid plate, sand slider side rails, orange tow hooks, and, for the hyper-observant among us, the word Mojave on the hood, which also features a center scoop.

Glance inside and you’ll find orange details, nicely bolstered front seats, and a racier steering wheel, Beyond aesthetics there are two more Mojave features worth mentioning.

One, is Off-Road Plus mode that alters throttle, transmission, and traction control behavior to enhanced dirt drenched frivolity.

VO: And two, this $600 forward-facing camera that was previously reserved for the Gladiator Rubicon. Evidently, it’s easier to traverse the desert when you can see it.

I suppose we should also address how the Mojave drives on road. It actually rides quite well!

And back to the dirt. To me, fast off-roading is the most fun, making the Mojave my Gladiator of choice. But before trundling down and buying one we have to address price. In least expensive form a Gladiator Mojave has a Rubicon-matching MSRP of $45,370 including $1,500 worth of destination charges. That’s not cheap. And then there are the options. For perspective, though it’s filled with nifty options this exact Mojave costs $57,720. That’s Raptor money. It might not be cheap, but it is fun and it is capable. If you can justify spending the funds, the Mojave is a fun-saturated way to Gladiate.
Sponsored

Jeefo

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi JTR
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Too bad we can't have the Rubicon and Mojave all in one lol. It would be cool to feel confident going that fast in the JTR. But then you don't have the front locker and sway bar disconnect from the factory. I'd rather have the ability to go slow and know that I can get out of most situations with the JTR. I like the red dashboard more on the Rubicon too. The Mojave will definitely be a unique one, it'll be fun seeing them pop up on the roads later this year.

Last edited:

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Damn, i wish i lived in the mojave desert...

Duke56

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon. Granite Crystal. Black Freedom Top & Fenders. Rock Krawler 3” Pro-X No limits Lift,
My build uses the Fox 2.5 Shocks with DSC (Adjustable) and I’m waiting for the rear set to come out which are Fox 2.5’s (Piggybacks).
I also have the Rock Krawler 3” Pro-X No-Limits so It will be very close to a combo of Rubicon and Mojave. Best of both? Time will tell.....

Sponsored

Duke56

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon. Granite Crystal. Black Freedom Top & Fenders. Rock Krawler 3” Pro-X No limits Lift,
We LOVE Silver Lake! We’ll be going back this summer with the JT no doubt. I used to have a Polaris RZR Turbo 4 that I pumped up to 200 HP and took it out there with paddles on it. Had a blast getting air time blasting over the crest of “Test Hill”. Felt like a 5 second flight. What a trip! I would race ‘18 Can-Am Maverick Turbo 2 seater and walk away from ‘em every time. They hated me LOL. I sold it to help pay for the JT. Wife wouldn’t ride with me if I was gonna let the retard outta the box. Oh well. It’s all good. She’s (We) are very happy with the exchange In our senior years. I’ve learned that my mind think’s I’m 20 but body says No yer not! Specially when ya break parts, they hurt more and take longer to heal. Slowing down has a positive effect on life span me thinks AND our new kids (2 Min-Pins) get all wound up when they hear the word “RIDE”
MOAB and Rubicon are on the bucket list but we’ll take the easier trails (wife ‘n the retard thing remember?)
Plan on a revisit to Rocky Mountain National, Mesa Verde, Arizona Meteor Crater, Grand Canyon..........

catronro

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Hemi
Waiting to see if you can fit the hydraulic bumps to the Rubicon...was able to pick up the part number from the video (68341367AC) but no love with the part being on the interwebs.

Duke56

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68341367AC Should be available on Mopar site OR through dealerships once it’s in production for a bit. They need to stock spares for repair. Likewise with the rear shocks I need. I don’t think they did anything special for mounting the hydraulic bumps. Should be a direct swap-out for the non hydraulic ones.

Mitten2Mountains

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU
68341367AC Should be available on Mopar site OR through dealerships once it’s in production for a bit. They need to stock spares for repair. Likewise with the rear shocks I need. I don’t think they did anything special for mounting the hydraulic bumps. Should be a direct swap-out for the non hydraulic ones.
Reinforcements will be required!

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Ha! Awesome map. I am sad to see nothing on the east coast. Looks like i'll have to take a trip!

Duke56

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reinforcements will be required!
I’m not planning huge air time where I would make a hard landing and bottoming out the suspension anyway so they’re not something I would be adding. When I get back to work I can investigate and get more detail as to the actual design differences between Rubi and Mojave.

HEY! Where did you get the cool map anyway? I went to the link and couldn’t see anything that would show a map.

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
any luck on finding info for the release date for Fox 2.5 rear shocks? it looks like they already have a part number for it. I'm expecting the hydraulic bounce stops to arrive next year at this point too
Sponsored