Sponsored

2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland hood lock needed!

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Get the BOLT Lock JL hood lock. It works well and uses your ignition key to open so no extra keys on your key ring.

I have used these on all my Jeeps beginning with my two JKs. Word or warning though, they only last about 2 years, both my JK ones went bad in two years, the cover for the lock cylinder came off and it would no longer lock. When they broke, they just didn't function so I could get my hood open.

Bolt Lock JL Hood Lock
I understand the Bolt interferes with the TrailCam, if you have one of those.
Sponsored

finallyajeep

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Self employed
Thats a great idea. I love that Bolt hood lock!! As long as it works for my Gladiator, I'm good to go. One down, two to go!!
Jeep Gladiator 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland hood lock needed! 1595195456552

I use the Mopar hood lock. The bolt hood lock you have to cut the existing hood panel while the mapper 1 comes with the new panel with now cutting.

OP
OP
Remteck

Remteck

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.remtech.solutions
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, Genesis G80 5.0
Occupation
Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE!!!!

I ended up just going to the dealership and they installed a new hood lock that uses my factor key to access the hood. I also had to change the front grill for the new lock to work. Thanks guys for all your advice!
Jeep Gladiator 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland hood lock needed! 20200725_174458

REDBEAST

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR
Occupation
Retired
The BOLT hood lock is what I intend to get. Works with your factory key.
Hood locks are great in any fashion. However, if you've got something going on under the hood like maybe a FIRE you need immediate access without fiddle farting around with a hood lock that may or may not work when precious time counts. With a TAZER MINI installed the horns pointed directly at you sound off when someone tries to access. I know it works because I have accidentally raised the hood forgetting I have the Jeep locked and had a rude awakening. I believe those horns would deter any would be thief. They are soooooo loud when you're right in front of them.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Hood locks are great in any fashion. However, if you've got something going on under the hood like maybe a FIRE you need immediate access without fiddle farting around with a hood lock that may or may not work when precious time counts.
Good point, which I did consider. I suppose it boils down to risk assessment. Theft vs fire. I have seen three car fires in my day, one of which I supressed until FD arrived, possibly saving a life.

Since I have had zero batteries stolen (or other mischief under the hood), the odds seem to be in favor of your point.

My solution is to leave the hood lock unlocked when going about my usual business where crime potential is low. Other situations leave it locked.

I might add I have a Haltron fire extinguisher, which conceivably I can get the suppressant into the engine compartment through the grille, in the event not enough time to open hood to suppress fire.

In any case, the usual arrangement, except for Jeeps, is the hood is locked until you pull a lever inside the car. Then you still have to release the safety catch to get it open. So there is still a time factor.

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
In my experience of 47 years of Jeeping and witnessing several vehicle fires, once you have a fire no matter how minor in the engine that damages wires, etc, your insurance company is going to total it anyway. Most of these fires were in older Jeeps or in a Jeep where the owner didn't have a knowledge of electrical wiring and, well you know how that goes.

I have used the BOLT hood lock on three of my Jeeps so far and since it works on your ignition key, its the easiest and simplest hood lock to use.

Besides if you have a fire, pop the hood and spray between the hood and the radiator. If you have a good extinguisher, it will put it out without the danger of opening the hood to a raging fire.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
It seems this will not work if one has the trailcam. Is that correct?
I believe that is correct.

I have an Overland, so no factory trailcam. I added one that connects to my Garmin Overlander GPS. I mounted it on my custom light bar, right above the bumper.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Sukemichi Jeep JL Hood Latch. Trust me on this one. I bought the Rampage and didn't like the big a** Rampage lettering. It also has a weird shiny metallic finish. The Sukemichi sounds like cheap junk, but it looks stock. Only $49.99 when it's in stock at Amazon and a 10 min install.
And all the shiny, "Stainless Steel," parts will rust 3 within months.
The manufacturer said they needed to upgrade the steel they use, and any current stock would simply rust again.
That's when I found that you can enable the hood alarm with JScan. I'm sure the dealer can enable it, too.

And I've read that the BOLT lock includes a replacement grille panel for the center, but that it matches the JL, not the JT (the JT holes are bigger.)

Kevin

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
And I've read that the BOLT lock includes a replacement grille panel for the center, but that it matches the JL, not the JT (the JT holes are bigger.)
Yes, they provide a template for cutting a hole in the JT grille insert.

I have the JL grille insert they provided, if anyone needs one . . .

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
If the alarm is activated it makes a hullabaloo you don’t wish to be around if you open the hood with the doors locked. Believe me, I have made that mistake and I won’t do it again. This seems like the best of both worlds. You are protected against theft but access is not restricted.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
...the horns pointed directly at you sound off when someone tries to access. I know it works because I have accidentally raised the hood forgetting I have the Jeep locked and had a rude awakening. I believe those horns would deter any would be thief. They are soooooo loud when you're right in front of them.
If the alarm is activated it makes a hullabaloo you don’t wish to be around if you open the hood with the doors locked. Believe me, I have made that mistake and I won’t do it again. This seems like the best of both worlds. You are protected against theft but access is not restricted.
I can verify this...

Kevin

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I believe that is correct.

I have an Overland, so no factory trailcam. I added one that connects to my Garmin Overlander GPS. I mounted it on my custom light bar, right above the bumper.
Hmm, can the factory trail cam be moved lower to accommodate the Bolt hood lock ? I have my 2021 JTR diesel on order so I can't check it out but it would seem that it just bolts into one of the grill holes.

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, Grand Cherokee SRT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
The TrailCam mounts into a cradle molded into the grille mesh. You'd need to find some other way to mount it.

Jeep Gladiator 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland hood lock needed! IMG_0281
Sponsored