First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer
on all of the mopar sites the 8.4 part number is 68417861AH. it says it will not work for a 2021 unit. when searching for a 2021, this is the part number that loads 68472596af.

was there a change in part #s for 2020 to 2021? have the catalogs not updated? don't want to make a $1200 mistake. (not interested in an infotainment.com unit)
Sponsored

EmmittFitzhume

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Thinking about doing this as well, just curious as to why you don’t want to go the infotainment.com route?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Thinking about doing this as well, just curious as to why you don’t want to go the infotainment.com route?
Same reason I won't: (primarily) the restrictions on updates.
And, as near as I can tell, their units are refurb.s.

Kevin

OP
OP

garzilla

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer
Updates is one reason and it's $500 more than the new official factory model. I'm honestly not sure why the infotainment one is so popular.

EmmittFitzhume

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Any issues with getting the unit tied to the VIN (do you need to?). I’m just starting looking into it so these may be basic questions. Infotainment makes it seem like they save you hassle but not sure that’s true or marketing. I’m also coming from the 5” screen which will have volume knob trade offs unless I eventually replace the a/c dash cluster as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

garzilla

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer
My thought but I don't have full knowledge.. a brand new unit won't be tied to a vin. A unit from another vehicle is married to a vin so it needs a code to put it into another vehicle

When does this vin/ vehicle lock take place?My guess is on initial startup of a head unit that hasn't been married to a vehicle, it locks itself to that vehicle. Total speculation...

IdahoStu

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2009 JK
Occupation
Parts Manager
My thought but I don't have full knowledge.. a brand new unit won't be tied to a vin. A unit from another vehicle is married to a vin so it needs a code to put it into another vehicle

When does this vin/ vehicle lock take place?My guess is on initial startup of a head unit that hasn't been married to a vehicle, it locks itself to that vehicle. Total speculation...
My experience with the 7" to 8.4" upgrade

I purchased the 8.4 display AH part number for moparwholesaleparts.com and installed in in my 2020 JTR

Everything worked except for the rear camera. My local dealer will not tie the new 8.4 to my vin #
stating they can't do it. My research leads me to think it is the dealer choice to do it or not.
After discussing the issue with Jeep Cares they told me to continue to work with my local dealer but that some dealers choose not to tie the vin number to an upgraded display due to liability issues

A taser mini will activate many of the features but I have so far been unsuccessful in getting my rear camera to work.

Hopefully your local dealer is a little more open minded

Good luck with you conversion, it's worth it

OP
OP

garzilla

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer

I purchased the 8.4 display AH part number for moparwholesaleparts.com and installed in in my 2020 JTR

Everything worked except for the rear camera. My local dealer will not tie the new 8.4 to my vin #
stating they can't do it. My research leads me to think it is the dealer choice to do it or not.
After discussing the issue with Jeep Cares they told me to continue to work with my local dealer but that some dealers choose not to tie the vin number to an upgraded display due to liability issues

A taser mini will activate many of the features but I have so far been unsuccessful in getting my rear camera to work.

Luckily I used to work as an internet manager for dodge and still know people.
I wonder if ordering it through the dealer that would marry the vin would help..

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

What exact "AH" part number did you get and install?

68295725AH is for the Wrangler JL and there is a known incompatibility issue with the backup camera not working when installed in a Gladiator JT.

68417861AH mentioned above is for the Gladiator JT and many if not all have reported it being plug and play for the most part to include the reverse camera working. If you have bought this one and it does not work, might be a bad head unit even though it is new.

OP
OP

garzilla

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Engineer

68295725AH is for the Wrangler JL and there is a known incompatibility issue with the backup camera not working when installed in a Gladiator JT.

68417861AH mentioned above is for the Gladiator JT and many if not all have reported it being plug and play for the most part to include the reverse working. If you have bought this one and it does not work, might be a bad head unit even though it is new.
And for 2021 the part number is 68472596AF (confirmed by @AllMoparParts.com)

Sponsored

IdahoStu

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2009 JK
Occupation
Parts Manager

68417861AH mentioned above is for the Gladiator JT and many if not all have reported it being plug and play for the most part to include the reverse camera working. If you have bought this one and it does not work, might be a bad head unit even though it is new.
Thanks for the info Hootbro, I ordered the 68295725AH. A 1300.00 mistake !
guess i'll order the correct one and make a JL owner a hell of a deal on a 8.4 display

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks for the info Hootbro, I ordered the 68295725AH. A 1300.00 mistake !
guess i'll order the correct one and make a JL owner a hell of a deal on a 8.4 display
That sucks to hear. You are not the first. One would think they be the same between both platforms but IIRC, there is something in how the video switching is different makes them incompatible with each other when swapping radios between the two.

IdahoStu

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2009 JK
Occupation
Parts Manager
That sucks to hear. You are not the first. One would think they be the same between both platforms but IIRC, there is something in how the video switching is different makes them incompatible with each other when swapping radios between the two.
Update
ordered the 68417861AH for the JT and it works perfectly
thanks for the heads up Hootbro

cjellan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Executive
Has anyone had success upgrading to the 8.4’’ display and installing the trail cam? It’s a bit unclear whether this is possible.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had success upgrading to the 8.4’’ display and installing the trail cam? It’s a bit unclear whether this is possible.
It is technically possible, but it is not practical to do so. There is a write-up for installing a Trail Cam. It involves adding a video switching device and a bunch of cables, along with all new cameras. There is a kit available from Zautomotive (Tazer) that adds a front camera using the Cargo camera input on the 8.4 Uconnect.
Sponsored