Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Well your free to spend your 50k on what ever you want. As far as well built 5.0 ford motors go I suggest you go grab a new mustang while they still offer them or me thinks you will be buying used.

edit: Also just out of curiosity in the Explorers segment what would you suggest as a better option?
I already got a 5.0 that I'm building, 2017 model and if I'm spending over $55,0000 on a SUV then I'm buying a 2020 Grand Cherokee SRT, they didn't forget to drop a V8 in it.
Sponsored

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Well I’d get used to the idea of not getting a V8 because they are on life support right now as it is. As far as the Bronco not offering a V8 is simply because it doesn’t fit. I have heard that they can fit the turbo V6 from the Explorer ST in it and let me tell from an owners point of view is that, that thing moves! If they come out with a raptor version I expect that to be the motor they use.
The Bronco want be much competition for the Gladiator, it's not a Truck but a SUV. More competition for wrangler owners for sure but I don't see FCA budging on price, they never have before and haven't had a problem selling Jeep Wranglers. People shopping for a truck with off road capabilities want be looking at a Bronco. Plus I'd bet money that resale on a Bronco want hold a flame to resale on a JT or JL. I like the fact that Ford is offering it though. If they would of dropped a V8 in it then they would definitely be ahead of the game. Ford lost me when they stopped offering the Raptor with a V8. I'd still probably buy another Mustang, but that's about all Ford sells that I'm interested in now and I used to be a all in Ford guy.
My last truck was a 2015 F150 Platinum with the 3.5 twin turbo. All I know is that engine was a monster, tonnes of power, tonnes of torque. The only downside is it doesn't sound as good as a throaty V8. You guys hung up on the V8 thing need to get over it, the times are changing.

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2020 Hydro blue Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
I already got a 5.0 that I'm building, 2017 model and if I'm spending over $55,0000 on a SUV then I'm buying a 2020 Grand Cherokee SRT, they didn't forget to drop a V8 in it.
Ok. Your comparing apples to a bag of apples. My wife bought her Explorer pre global meltdown. She paid 60k canadian for a fully loaded 7 seat suv. Your opinion would cost 35k more and seat only 5. Maybe we can seat two kids on the extra 2 cylinder? So again comparing apples to apples/dollars to dollars, what would you suggest as an allternative to the Explorer?

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
My last truck was a 2015 F150 Platinum with the 3.5 twin turbo. All I know is that engine was a monster, tonnes of power, tonnes of torque. The only downside is it doesn't sound as good as a throaty V8. You guys hung up on the V8 thing need to get over it, the times are changing.
I agree with you 100%.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
The Bronco want be much competition for the Gladiator, it's not a Truck but a SUV. More competition for wrangler owners for sure but I don't see FCA budging on price, they never have before and haven't had a problem selling Jeep Wranglers. People shopping for a truck with off road capabilities want be looking at a Bronco. Plus I'd bet money that resale on a Bronco want hold a flame to resale on a JT or JL. I like the fact that Ford is offering it though. If they would of dropped a V8 in it then they would definitely be ahead of the game. Ford lost me when they stopped offering the Raptor with a V8. I'd still probably buy another Mustang, but that's about all Ford sells that I'm interested in now and I used to be a all in Ford guy.
You seem very hung up on a V8. Do you know your gladiator has a V6? A gutless V6 at that.

Sponsored

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
The engine discussion is certainly valid. For me the biggest issue with the bronco is the lack of a solid front axle. I go offroad quite a bit and although IFS has become stronger/more reliable, a solid front axle has always been stronger in my experience and for where I use the vehicle.

I hope the bronco is a worthy competitor.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. Your comparing apples to a bag of apples. My wife bought her Explorer pre global meltdown. She paid 60k canadian for a fully loaded 7 seat suv. Your opinion would cost 35k more and seat only 5. Maybe we can seat two kids on the extra 2 cylinder? So again comparing apples to apples/dollars to dollars, what would you suggest as an allternative to the Explorer?
I wouldn't own a Explorer period, even if it would seat 9, any option would be better. The resale value in a explorer is laughable

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
You seem very hung up on a V8. Do you know your gladiator has a V6? A gutless V6 at that.
I do know that and thats why I said I'd prefer a V8 but wanted something comparable to my Jku but with a truck bed and the Gladiator was my best option. It's got plenty of power for me but I would of preferred a V8. You guys comparing a V6 to a V8 is funny. Yeah you can get some speed out of a V6 turbo but you can get some speed and torque out of V8 non turbo and that's why I would of preferred a V8 option. IMO if they had a 5.7 liter option in the gladiator they wouldn't be able to keep them on the lot.

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
I wouldn't own a Explorer period, even if it would seat 9, any option would be better. The resale value in a explorer is laughable
Like I said in the beginning, it’s your 50k you can do what you want with it. Clearly your opinion is based on personal bias and not facts and that’s ok.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
I do know that and thats why I said I'd prefer a V8 but wanted something comparable to my Jku but with a truck bed and the Gladiator was my best option. It's got plenty of power for me but I would of preferred a V8. You guys comparing a V6 to a V8 is funny. Yeah you can get some speed out of a V6 turbo but you can get some speed and torque out of V8 non turbo and that's why I would of preferred a V8 option. IMO if they had a 5.7 liter option in the gladiator they wouldn't be able to keep them on the lot.
Agreed. I’m more of an NA guy myself, but it’s going the way of the dodo. But your statement is my biggest gripe of the Gladiator. It was your only option if you want a Wrangler with a bed. If Toyota made a vehicle with removable doors and top, I wouldn’t even consider a Jeep. The reason Wranglers sell so well is because they have zero competition. We’ll see how brand loyal folks are when the Bronco comes out.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Like I said in the beginning, it’s your 50k you can do what you want with it. Clearly your opinion is based on personal bias and not facts and that’s ok.
The resale value of a Explorer is fact not personal opinion. If you like them then I guess losing about $8,000 as soon as you sign your name on the deal is fine.

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
The resale value of a Explorer is fact not personal opinion. If you like them then I guess losing about $8,000 as soon as you sign your name on the deal is fine.
And show me a vehicle that is any different.

conrfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
From the leaked pictures and seeing one camo’d up on the road, I have no doubt that the Bronco will have the same road presence/ attention grab as the Wrangler. I think that the Bronco has the opportunity to snag a decent portion of Wrangler population in one main category: Daily drivers.

The Bronco’s main specification will have IFS which likely means improved road manners around town, and especially on the highway. Additionally, EcoBoost engines tend to be more fuel efficient and better gas mileage will sway a lot of new car prospects. If Ford implements a higher-output engine in the Bronco, i’m sure wrangler owners who have a need for speed will be over in a heart beat.

Another part of the market I think the Bronco has a good chance in is the high speed off-roaders/ sand dune lovers. From what i’ve seen, the solid front axle of wranglers doesn’t always fare too well in this segment without a decent amount of modifications. Ford already has their foot in the sand with the F-150 Raptor, and could easily dominate that market if they were to slap a Raptor badge on the Bronco. Living in Michigan, though, the best thing we have to offer off-road wise is Silver Lake Sand Dunes so I may be a little biased in interest.

One area I think the Bronco won’t be able to take away from Jeep is rock crawling enthusiasts. Unless Ford comes out with some sort of solid front axle for the Bronco it’ll be hard for it to combat the capability of Wranglers. Also, I feel it’ll take a lot of convincing to switch for those who have been crawling their jeeps for years or just Jeep loyalists in general.

Coming from a Ford family, the competition really excites me but i’ll be comfortable in my Gladiator for the years to come ;).

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
Agreed. I’m more of an NA guy myself, but it’s going the way of the do do. But your statement is my biggest gripe of the Gladiator. It was your only option if you want a Wrangler with a bed. If Toyota made a vehicle with removable doors and top, I wouldn’t even consider a Jeep. The reason Wranglers sell so well is because they have zero competition. We’ll see how brand loyal folks are when the Bronco comes out.
From the leaked pictures and seeing one camo’d up on the road, I have no doubt that the Bronco will have the same road presence/ attention grab as the Wrangler. I think that the Bronco has the opportunity to snag a decent portion of Wrangler population in one main category: Daily drivers.

The Bronco’s main specification will have IFS which likely means improved road manners around town, and especially on the highway. Additionally, EcoBoost engines tend to be more fuel efficient and better gas mileage will sway a lot of new car prospects. If Ford implements a higher-output engine in the Bronco, i’m sure wrangler owners who have a need for speed will be over in a heart beat.

Another part of the market I think the Bronco has a good chance in is the high speed off-roaders/ sand dune lovers. From what i’ve seen, the solid front axle of wranglers doesn’t always fare too well in this segment without a decent amount of modifications. Ford already has their foot in the sand with the F-150 Raptor, and could easily dominate that market if they were to slap a Raptor badge on the Bronco. Living in Michigan, though, the best thing we have to offer off-road wise is Silver Lake Sand Dunes so I may be a little biased in interest.

One area I think the Bronco won’t be able to take away from Jeep is rock crawling enthusiasts. Unless Ford comes out with some sort of solid front axle for the Bronco it’ll be hard for it to combat the capability of Wranglers. Also, I feel it’ll take a lot of convincing to switch for those who have been crawling their jeeps for years or just Jeep loyalists in general.

Coming from a Ford family, the competition really excites me but i’ll be comfortable in my Gladiator for the years to come ;).
And that one main category accounts for 90-95% of Wranglers.

We’ll see the number of “loyalists” if Ford does a good job with the Bronco. It’s 2020, there is no such thing as brand loyalty.

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
You guys comparing a V6 to a V8 is funny. Yeah you can get some speed out of a V6 turbo but you can get some speed and torque out of V8 non turbo and that's why I would of preferred a V8 option.
What's funny about it? the twin turbo 3.5 in the current F150 has 375hp and 470 ft lbs of torque. The 2020 Ram with the 5.7 has 395 hp and actually considerably less torque...410 ft lbs.
Sponsored