First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Airport operations manager
My tow vehicle (non-gladiator) weighs in at 5700lbs (7,000 GVWR) and has a GCWR rating of 16,100lbs, so what you’re saying is not really true.
Just because something is rated to tow at a certain level doesn’t mean it’s safe to do so, especially in any kind of terrain. Read the fine print friend.
Sponsored

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
7/8. Hoping it will be built early this week to make the ‘week of 9/20’ delivery quoted in the Jeep Wave correction email.
Thats great. How long do you think it takes to build one? I heard that Jeep just started building the diesels? Is that what you heard? I hope you get yours soon ! Sounds like you could get it before month end. I just ordered mine so could be awhile for me!

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
Just because something is rated to tow at a certain level doesn’t mean it’s safe to do so, especially in any kind of terrain. Read the fine print friend.
No s***, like I said in my previous post, I was commenting on the comment who was saying a 5-6klb vehicle couldnt tow more than the gladiator due to vehicle weight. My supercrew f150 with ford’s max tow package, 3.5EB, HD brake package (which falls in that weight range) can safely tow and stop a trailer more than the max tow gladiator’s 7650lbs. Dont tell me that a 1/2 ton can’t tow more than a midsize gladiator, Ive been towing large boats, trailers, campers for 23yrs and live in CO and regularly tow through the Rockies.

Which is also why Im getting a f350 to replace my f150 to increase towing capacity even more to allow me the buffer that I’ll need (to tow my LJ or Bronco and offroad camper on a flatbed trailer).

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Thats great. How long do you think it takes to build one? I heard that Jeep just started building the diesels? Is that what you heard? I hope you get yours soon ! Sounds like you could get it before month end. I just ordered mine so could be awhile for me!
Length of actual build really depend on the timing of the shifts but my guess is it is a bit longer these days so I would say it would go into a second day given the current working conditions in the plant sound like they are slower than normal.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Length of actual build really depend on the timing of the shifts but my guess is it is a bit longer these days so I would say it would go into a second day given the current working conditions in the plant sound like they are slower than normal.
So are you saying that it takes a few days to build one? Did I understand that correctly ?

Sponsored

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
So are you saying that it takes a few days to build one? Did I understand that correctly ?
My dealer told me that they start and finish production of the vehicles the same day. During normal operation they are supposed to ship out on your build date as well. Some are now sitting at the factory for random periods of time after being built due to COVID and dealer shipping/delivery estimates are sometimes not as accurate as a result.

max toe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito, 1998 audi
so tempting willy's diesel 2021
snazzberry never looked better
gator or gobi woulda been best

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Gladiator EcoDiesel Official EPA MPG and towing capacity iris (3)

Jeep Gladiator 2021 Gladiator EcoDiesel Official EPA MPG and towing capacity iris (2)

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
Odd. I've towed with the Pentastar 3.6 in the JL and JT both....at over 6,000 lbs....up and down steep grades. Mine never behaved that way and I shot YouTube videos for evidence. In fact, the last time I towed heavy with the Gladiator it would use 8th gear quite often. Even on long 6% grades it would only downshift to 5th. The Grand Cherokee must have totally different axle gearing or engine tune....the Gladiator certainly doesn't suck at towing.

If you want to spend $4-6k more money for the diesel so that you can legally tow less weight and get identical MPG while doing it, more power to you. It's America. Do what you want. :) I've had direct towing experience with both engines in the last 12 months and I'm not sure the diesel is the best choice. I'm not saying I hate it. I'm just saying it's not necessarily the best choice when you put everything under consideration.
Just caught the difference here, didn’t notice your 6% grade comment. I’m gonna guess buddy in Denver is in the same boat as I am in Calgary where you get 12%+ sections in the Rockies.

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
My dealer told me that they start and finish production of the vehicles the same day. During normal operation they are supposed to ship out on your build date as well. Some are now sitting at the factory for random periods of time after being built due to COVID and dealer shipping/delivery estimates are sometimes not as accurate as a result.
It takes about 24-30 hours for the average vehicle to be built from the time it starts on the assembly line.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
Just caught the difference here, didn’t notice your 6% grade comment. I’m gonna guess buddy in Denver is in the same boat as I am in Calgary where you get 12%+ sections in the Rockies.
Outside Denver I have a 6% climb just going to my exit for work at 6300’, thats at the bottom of the initial climb. Several areas beyond that continue to be 6-7% grade climbs up to elevations of 10-11k’ with sharp turns.

Sponsored

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Outside Denver I have a 6% climb just going to my exit for work at 6300’, thats at the bottom of the initial climb. Several areas beyond that continue to be 6-7% grade climbs up to elevations of 10-11k’ with sharp turns.
Those are issues those of us who live in flat terrain rarely if ever have to deal with. Outside of bridges I can think of only one I may ever encounter around here, I-68 in Cumberland, MD which is a 13mi long 6% grade.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That's actually 100% false. The entire point of the SAE J2807 method is to standardize towing/hauling ratings and give safe numbers for real world use.

If a new truck says it'll tow X amount, it will safely tow X amount as long as the owner follows all instructions for proper loading and weight distribution.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Thankfully I only have about 2500' elevation to deal with, but I do have this:

Safe1.jpg