Sponsored

tj3089

First Name
TJ, Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD Sarge Green, 2005 Wrangler TJ
Remember, the tow rating is based on towing performance. The Gladiator is going to handle very differently when towing a high profile trailer vs a low profile trailer even though both trailers might be the same weight. We know that the EcoDiesel in a properly equipped truck is rated to tow as much as 12,560 lbs, but that doesn't mean it is safe to tow a 24' enclosed car hauler that weighs 11,000 lbs. As someone who does a lot of towing, I can tell you that the Gladiator, with it's impressive platform, is still limited on stability, especially when towing a taller trailer with solid sidewalls. It's like the tail wagging the dog effect.

I will say that the Gladiator and the Chevy Colorado had to undergo the same SAE J2807 towing testing. Due to Jeep's narrow grille opening, proper engine cooling was the limiting factor for the EcoDiesel.

Your toy hauler doesn't sound like it's very big if it only weighs 3200 lbs empty, so you should be okay, depending on height/width. I would read the owner's manual and see if there are restrictions on towing a large profile trailer. My Jeep Liberty CRD restricted the square footage on the front of a trailer, which was their way to increase the tow rating, but keeping people from towing a larger profile camper. I noticed that Jeep advertised the Gladiator towing an Airstream, not a typical 8' or 8',6" wide travel trailer with lots of frontal area and tall sidewalls.
You kind of got off topic there for a bit. I'm not sure why you keep defending Jeep, you're wasting your time. Bottom line, the diesel Gladiator tows less than the 3.6 Gladiator, 4x4 Colorado (diesel and V6), and even the 4x4 Tacoma V6. That's disappointing.
Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
You kind of got off topic there for a bit. I'm not sure why you keep defending Jeep, you're wasting your time. Bottom line, the diesel Gladiator tows less than the 3.6 Gladiator, 4x4 Colorado (diesel and V6), and even the 4x4 Tacoma V6. That's disappointing.
I'm not defending Jeep. I'm saying that you will be disappointed with the towing performance of the Gladiator, Colorado, and Tacoma with what you are trying to tow. These mid-sized vehicles are perfect for towing small trailers, but they are not designed to tow larger trailers. I haven't seen a picture of your toy hauler, but it doesn't sound like a small trailer.

Black1Star7

First Name
Black
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Occupation
mechanic
Every time at work when my regen light comes on my ELdorado nationals and then my bus shuts down and needs a tow..... Yeah no 3.0 for me

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Every time at work when my regen light comes on my ELdorado nationals and then my bus shuts down and needs a tow..... Yeah no 3.0 for me
Does your bus get up to highway speeds very often? That's not a problem with the 3.0L EcoDiesel.

StingrayJed

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel, 2015 JKU Rubicon
Occupation
Parts Director for Luxury vehicles
Mine has been ordered and should be here first part of Oct. Have a Grand Cherokee Overland with the Eco and it has been flawless over 60k and delivers up to 31 mpg on hwy. Looking forward to having it in my new JT now...

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
So many comments in this thread are from people that obviously have no experience and no knowledge about what they are talking about. I had a 2015 Ram 1500 ecodiesel and loved it. Put 140,000 miles on it...traded it on my JT only because I am a Jeep guy...would have waited for the ecodiesel if it was actually going to happen early enough, but I also really wanted a manual transmission...my only issue in 140,000 miles with my Ram was new injectors at 97,000 miles which FCA covered under warranty. This is a motor that is proven for 6 years now in the Ram and I think even a few more in the Grand Cherokee. I towed 7,000+ pounds with my Ram regularly. Averaged 22-24 mpg in mixed driving and got as much as 28 mpg on several road trips. I am actually going to be envious of those that held out for the diesel. If I didn't have 90% of my build done already, I would consider sacrificing my manual transmission and traded UP for a diesel. Maintenance costs are higher however for the diesel. Parts are more, oil changes are more and DEF is a bit of a pain...HOWEVER, I have not driven a JT with an automatic transmission, so I can't speak to drivability of the 3.6 vs the 3.0 with an auto...but the 3.0 ecodiesel was fun to drive, smooth and torquey
Sponsored