Sponsored

2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel Lemon Law Buyback - What should I do?

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
So, I was one of the first to take delivery of the new EcoDiesel Gladiator. I absolutely loved the truck, except for a horrible water leak around the front driver/passenger windows. When I say water leak, I’m talking about the kind that floods the floorboards.

Long story short, after 5 months and many repair attempts with no success, FCA is buying the truck back under the lemon law. Here’s my dilemma... I really want another one but I have cold feet. Several over on the diesel side are having “service DEF” issues amongst other problems. Many with the 3.6 have cylinder misfire problems as well as numerous other issues. The wandering steering, random electronic gremlins, etc. seem commonplace. I never had any mechanical problems with my Gladiator, but don’t know that I want to roll the dice a second time. What should I do?
Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
It's like an abusive relation ship, how much do you want to endure. LOL :CWL: I am also really surprised you got them to do a buy back as that is pretty rare.

I have not had any of those issue with my 2021 Overland Diesel. Even if I find it has something like a water seal issue I think I would work through it as I can make something work. I almost expect some of these things as it is a jeep and the last 3 of mine had some leaks so this one may too when I park it out side. If the water issue is going to drive you crazy you may consider a dodge ram truck instead. Engine problems I would not want to deal with and I would give it back in your scenario. Most people dont have engine issues and these forums are for problems more than they are for bragging about longevity. So if you ready about a problem dont assume it is wide spread.

21RG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
4Wheeling
I would buy again. Every manufacturer has their issues. At least FCA did the right thing, that is a major positive.

If anything, wait a year and buy one. If you can't wait, buy one.

OP
OP
JeepGuy82

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
It's like an abusive relation ship, how much do you want to endure. LOL :CWL: I am also really surprised you got them to do a buy back as that is pretty rare.

I have not had any of those issue with my 2021 Overland Diesel. Even if I find it has something like a water seal issue I think I would work through it as I can make something work. I almost expect some of these things as it is a jeep and the last 3 of mine had some leaks so this one may too when I park it out side. If the water issue is going to drive you crazy you may consider a dodge ram truck instead. Engine problems I would not want to deal with and I would give it back in your scenario. Most people dont have engine issues and these forums are for problems more than they are for bragging about longevity. So if you ready about a problem dont assume it is wide spread.
Yeah you’re right. I worked through these water issues for months not wanting to go though this. But, it wasn’t a small leak or a couple of drips here and there. It was bad.

Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I actually heard the soft tops leak less as there are less seams. You could consider that and having Jeep give you an extended warranty. My brother got a 100k warranty on his ram ecodiesel after the 1st engine replacement lol.

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara Tank Green
If you put money down on the purchase/lease and used factory incentives/rebates, whatever incentives/rebates you used will be deducted from the money you put down.
So let’s say you put $5,000 down (without tax) and used a $500 factory rebate and $1,500 in manufacturer incentives, you will only receive $3,000 if you decide to walk and go with a different car manufacturer. If you decide to stick with Jeep and get another gladiator, you will be given the same exact one you ordered down to the spec. I went through NY state lemon law with Ford and lost $1,500 on it due to rebates and incentives used while leasing the truck

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Yeah, your experience would make anyone discouraged. I see it as you getting a very short straw with your current purchase. If you really like the diesel JT, I would suggest you pucker up and try again.

I've heard people say things like, "I bought a Jeep in 1978 and it was a disaster. Never again!". Just think of all the fun they missed from one bad experience.

ScottLars

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSSD Granite Crystal Metallic (Korg)
Occupation
Engineer
I'm only 1-1/2 months and1300 miles in with my ecodiesel but so far so good. Knock on wood, no issues yet.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I have absolute confidence in the Diesel engine and gladiators in general. Think of it this way, if 99% of gladiators are perfect, there’s already almost 2000 with problems and people with problems complain online

My solar company is a stellar example of this. We have hundreds of thousands of customers and approximately 800 bad reviews on line. I take great pride in that but outwardly facing some people interpret this as bad because they don’t know the percentage of people who are actually thrilled

Sponsored

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
Put it this way, I wished my window leaked enough for me to get another JT...Id get a diesel in a heartbeat....and I love my gas guzzling JT, LOL!

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
So, I was one of the first to take delivery of the new EcoDiesel Gladiator. I absolutely loved the truck, except for a horrible water leak around the front driver/passenger windows. When I say water leak, I’m talking about the kind that floods the floorboards.

Long story short, after 5 months and many repair attempts with no success, FCA is buying the truck back under the lemon law. Here’s my dilemma... I really want another one but I have cold feet. Several over on the diesel side are having “service DEF” issues amongst other problems. Many with the 3.6 have cylinder misfire problems as well as numerous other issues. The wandering steering, random electronic gremlins, etc. seem commonplace. I never had any mechanical problems with my Gladiator, but don’t know that I want to roll the dice a second time. What should I do?
Pull the trigger on another one. It'll be ok.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!

Old Special Forces saying, "Screw me once, shame on you;" "Screw me twice, shame on me." Having said that, I don't think Jeep will screw you twice...I've never had an insurmountable problem like your's with any of the 5 Jeeps I've owned. Man-up! Buy the Jeep! Is there another option out there that will provide you the same capabilities and level of satisfaction>? Nope. What are you waiting for; there are folks on the trail waiting for you! Gonna start calling you SLOWJEEPGUY!

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
If you put money down on the purchase/lease and used factory incentives/rebates, whatever incentives/rebates you used will be deducted from the money you put down.
So let’s say you put $5,000 down (without tax) and used a $500 factory rebate and $1,500 in manufacturer incentives, you will only receive $3,000 if you decide to walk and go with a different car manufacturer. If you decide to stick with Jeep and get another gladiator, you will be given the same exact one you ordered down to the spec. I went through NY state lemon law with Ford and lost $1,500 on it due to rebates and incentives used while leasing the truck
Great Advice Here!

mbev

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel

For what its worth, I have the exact same rig as yours. I picked it up about 6 weeks ago and only have 2,000 miles, but it has been perfect. I live in Oregon and it rains a lot! No water leaks. I absolutely love this thing. I think you need to try again!
Sponsored