Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I would settle for a driver side mirror that could be adjusted better
x100

The exterior mirrors on the JT are one of the most glaring problems. An absolute joke for a pickup truck.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
x100

The exterior mirrors on the JT are one of the most glaring problems. An absolute joke for a pickup truck.
Funny, I just watched Casey250 change out a mirror on his JL, 4 bolts and a connector = Done. How about some OEM mirror ‘Options’?

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Well maybe a 360 Surround camera system? Check out my page 2 of my order
C6AD6B29-F130-4D0B-90BC-FC7180F41FE9.jpeg
I keep coming back to this XAK option! From the Ram overview:

The surround view (digital) system (Sales Code is XAK) is available as an option on all chassis cabs and pickups. This system uses 5 digital cameras. This system provides three different views, surround, backup and cargo. The surround view system (XAK) is not available on pickups with box delete. (XBC) Field box removal on pickups with XAK is not recommended.

On pickup trucks, the system stitches the views from 4 of the 5 cameras together to provide a full 360-degree surround view. The 5th camera (located in the CHMSL) provides the cargo view. The system will use the 4 th camera in the tail gate to provide an FMVSS111 compliant backup view.

On chassis cabs, the system stitches the views from 3 of the 5 cameras together to provide a 270-degree surround view. The 5 th camera (located in the CHMSL) provides the cargo view. The 4 th camera and a 2.5 meter cable will come loose shipped in a bag. This camera will be installed at the rear of the vehicle by the upfitter to provide the backup view. If the chassis cab has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less, (DF 3500) the final stage manufacturer will need to insure that the camera is mounted in a location that allows the vehicle to meet FMVSS111 requirements.

With this system, all views will be available in the screen in the center stack. On chassis cabs, the system will operate the surround and cargo views as delivered. The electronics will be configured to operate the backup camera view properly once the camera is connected. Prior to connection, the monitor will display a blue screen when the vehicle is in reverse. The table below outlines the radio and display options available on chassis cabs and pickups with surround view.
Without any official word from Stellantis on MY22 changes, I still have hope. Maybe Uc4c stays, but maybe it also gets much better?

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As more time goes by I start to think I might be better off with a nicely-modded version of this:

Jeep Gladiator 2022.5 Rumors? 1634647619981

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst
Why trade something simple and dependable for something overly complicated and expensive to maintain long term if there is no benefit? That's why I'm generally not a fan of small gasoline turbo engines.
Well said. I had a f150 3.5eco and even though it was mainly nice on the highway, I would have likely been more happy with their 5.0 for what could have been my longer term life of the vehicle. My main issue with turbo is that I usually just need 1-2 seconds of passing gear power, but the turbos are still spooling up and needing to wind down when I‘m through the call for power. Of coarse, get what you want, but realize that last I checked turbos don’t have a core,so they’re as disposable as the rest of your exhaust system which all wears out. So, likely higher maintenance cost vs a comparable v8. Hence, “I could have had a v8!” My $.02’s.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally think there will be a lot of backtracking with this, especially in the states. There is just too much geography in the way to make the switch to electric any time soon. Nor do we have anywhere near the infrastructure density of Europe, outside of the big cities. There is also the emissions issues that stem from the unfortunate fact that in many places, the added draw on electrical plants would produce more GHG emissions than running gas-powered vehicles. And that is assuming the electrical grid could handle the increased draw. Just isn't really feasible on the timescale that is being talked about.

Foreign luxury cars can get away with it, as cities tend to have the charging structure and those luxury vehicles tend to be concentrated there. Just my prediction.
This doesn't mean they won't develop plug in hybrid systems. Those are actually well suited to US driving. low end torque of an electric car, better gas mileage and you can even drive it as an all electric for a few miles.

The biggest thing they need to figure out is how to educate people out of believing that you have to plug them in. Youdon't. Yes, you get better economy if you do. But if you don't, they run just like any other hybrid, using overrun to recharge the battery and bringing in the electric to assist the gas engine as needed.

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
This doesn't mean they won't develop plug in hybrid systems. Those are actually well suited to US driving. low end torque of an electric car, better gas mileage and you can even drive it as an all electric for a few miles.

The biggest thing they need to figure out is how to educate people out of believing that you have to plug them in. Youdon't. Yes, you get better economy if you do. But if you don't, they run just like any other hybrid, using overrun to recharge the battery and bringing in the electric to assist the gas engine as needed.
Whatever happened to the Ford patent on a truck bed toolbox mounted gas generator to augment the battery range? This would seem like a no-brainer solution for extended range on long trips. I am extremely interested in the Ford Lightning and the addition of this truck bed toolbox option would easily sell me on it. I'd love to have a Jeep Gladiator or Ford Bronco version of the Lightning, instead though, particularly with this toolbox generator option. I imagine it could be an aftermarket part even.

There are plenty of opportunities for EV's in heavily populated metro areas, particularly on the east coast. Our states are much more aligned with european population density than out west for sure. I still imagine the average service area for a commercial f150 owner would be well within its battery range albeit towing would knock that down a bit or a bunch. I see plenty of commercial f150's not towing anything.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever happened to the Ford patent on a truck bed toolbox mounted gas generator to augment the battery range? This would seem like a no-brainer solution for extended range on long trips. I am extremely interested in the Ford Lightning and the addition of this truck bed toolbox option would easily sell me on it. I'd love to have a Jeep Gladiator or Ford Bronco version of the Lightning, instead though, particularly with this toolbox generator option. I imagine it could be an aftermarket part even.

There are plenty of opportunities for EV's in heavily populated metro areas, particularly on the east coast. Our states are much more aligned with european population density than out west for sure. I still imagine the average service area for a commercial f150 owner would be well within its battery range albeit towing would knock that down a bit or a bunch. I see plenty of commercial f150's not towing anything.
The problem is that the generator would need to be HUGE to provide any kind of meaningful range extension in any kind of reasonable time.

You aren't going to maintain a 65 mph cruise on the highway with a 10 hp generator running in the bed.

Lets do some math.

Assume a 200 kWh battery and a 300 mile range for the higher end truck.

That means that it takes 200,000 wh/300 miles = 666 watt-hours per mile.

If you were going 60 mph, then you would need 40,000 watt-hours per hour. So you would need a 40,000 watt generator to just keep up with the use of electricity as the truck drives along.

A 40,000 watt generator would need about a 100 hp engine to make that kind of electricity. And it would burn somewhere around 7 gallons per hour.

So you see, we aren't talking about a little 10 hp generator sitting in the bed, purring away. We are talking about a substantial generator that would weigh close to 1000 lbs and burn significant fuel.

Some real world data points support my point.

The TINY BMW i3 can be ordered with a generator in the trunk, called a range extender. The range extender in this car is a 650cc twin cylinder engine that makes 38 hp.

The BMW weighs exactly 3000 lbs. The F150 Lightning with the extended range battery is expected to weigh about 7000 lbs.

PunknJLBlackJT

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon and 2021 Grand Cherokee L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Estimator for Pharma facilities
Vehicle Showcase
Uconnect 5 is a train wreck right now in my wifes Grand Cherokee L. Its had a recall preformed and been in the shop multiple times and they still cant resolve phone connections issues. It seems like its an across the board issue on the Grand Cherokee Ls and Durangos with it. Hopefully they sort it soon but I would rather have the old uconnect right now if I had a choice. Ours has issues connecting both wired and via bluetooth.

Last edited:

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
Lets do some math.
From experience driving antique European cars, I can tell you that it takes very little horsepower to maintain highway speeds. 25hp will maintain 80mph all day long (just doesn't accelerate fast). Up that a bit for mass gains, drop that a bit for aero and friction advances, and you're talking not a ton of hp to keep the boat floating along. 40hp (WAG) isn't a little Honda generator, but there's nothing saying it needs to be. Engine power density can be pretty crazy high these days if all you're after is steady state RPM. Mazda is using a tiny little rotary as a range extender. The full fat rotaries were about the same size as a large watermelon, and could put out a LOT of power. Details are scarce, but I wouldn't be surprised to find the next generation is even smaller.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Today I am painting a hay rack w/ an extra can of paint I had sitting around. I got about 1/2-way done, step back & realize it’s pretty much a dead-ringer for Sting Grey lol 😆

johnh442

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, RAM 1500, Chevy SS
Occupation
Computer / Car Geek
Pretty sure the first was the Scion TC
Meh. Primer gray has been around for a long, long time ;)
overland-wagon-primer-gray-great-builder-project-1.jpg

Love to see GoMango, or Sinamon Stick (orange/copper)...as far as colors.
Love to see V8 option too...just sounds better and get better mileage too with the right tuning/gearing.
Should add options to mojave for things like locking front locker/sway bar, so its the best of both worlds.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From experience driving antique European cars, I can tell you that it takes very little horsepower to maintain highway speeds. 25hp will maintain 80mph all day long (just doesn't accelerate fast). Up that a bit for mass gains, drop that a bit for aero and friction advances, and you're talking not a ton of hp to keep the boat floating along. 40hp (WAG) isn't a little Honda generator, but there's nothing saying it needs to be. Engine power density can be pretty crazy high these days if all you're after is steady state RPM. Mazda is using a tiny little rotary as a range extender. The full fat rotaries were about the same size as a large watermelon, and could put out a LOT of power. Details are scarce, but I wouldn't be surprised to find the next generation is even smaller.
I remember years ago Car and Driver did a coast down test on a Corvette and it showed like 20 hp to maintain 60 mph.

But a Gladiator is not a Corvette.

Its got much more frontal area and a much less slippery shape. Its not unreasonable to think that it draws 60 hp to just maintain 60 mph. There are no aero advances when you are talking about a Gladiator. The other kind of drag - rolling resistance also favors antique European cars with their hard skinny tires with circumferential grooving.

Then we've got all the extra drag from the transfer case, front drive shafts and differential. (Yes, I realize with axle disconnect the Spyder is just spinning but there are still bearings turning)

My dad vintage races with a bunch of guys who all race MG-As and Giulietta Spyders. Pushing one of those cars out of the garage is ridiculously easy.

Tiny little rotaries running at high RPM can have insane power densities. But they are also insanely inefficient on a hp per gallon per hour basis. For a motor where space and weight efficiency is more important than fuel efficiency a rotary is a great choice. But that's the engineering trade off.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
That 20hp figure is a heavier more aerodynamic car than I was thinking. A '50s VW Type 1 (Beetle) with a 25hp engine could do 80mph flat and level. A Type 2 (Bus) could only hold 55mph, and weighed only slightly more. 75hp (the ubiquitous 1776cc displacement upgrade) got you a genuinely peppy little car. Better analogue for frontal area, still light weight, and super inefficient. Part of why I used a 40hp generator as an example; more than is likely needed to simply overcome drag and friction.

Point is, it's not that crazy an idea.
Sponsored