23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
The problem with tiny turbo motors is they give people false hope of fuel economy. I mean, just look at the lawsuits Ford has had to contend with over their "EcoBoost" engines that in reality drink fuel like they're sponsored by OPEC.

It takes X amount of fuel to generate Y amount of power. How you get to those figures makes no difference. That's why a 7.3L V8 in a F-250 gets the same fuel economy while towing that the 3.5L V6TT in a F-150 gets.

Going small and turbo to save fuel is a losing proposition.

Another example is the Wrangler. The 2.0T engine and the 3.6L engine get virtually identical MPG when you look at hundreds of thousands of miles of hand calculated owners' data on Fuelly.

Why trade something simple and dependable for something overly complicated and expensive to maintain long term if there is no benefit? That's why I'm generally not a fan of small gasoline turbo engines.
I averaged 22/26 with my 2.7 F-150. That is crazy mileage for a full size 4x4 pick-up. And it ran like a raped ape. There are many of those engines with over 100k miles and still running strong.

If you take care of them you should not have any problems.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A Plum Crazy one would satisfy my V8 wishes for a bit. 😪
saw a Ram 1500 in Plum Crazy just the other day, wife hated it, I was like, that's a tribute to old school muscle cars, then she was like oh ya.....lol

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
The problem with tiny turbo motors is they give people false hope of fuel economy. I mean, just look at the lawsuits Ford has had to contend with over their "EcoBoost" engines that in reality drink fuel like they're sponsored by OPEC.

It takes X amount of fuel to generate Y amount of power. How you get to those figures makes no difference. That's why a 7.3L V8 in a F-250 gets the same fuel economy while towing that the 3.5L V6TT in a F-150 gets.

Going small and turbo to save fuel is a losing proposition.

Another example is the Wrangler. The 2.0T engine and the 3.6L engine get virtually identical MPG when you look at hundreds of thousands of miles of hand calculated owners' data on Fuelly.

Why trade something simple and dependable for something overly complicated and expensive to maintain long term if there is no benefit? That's why I'm generally not a fan of small gasoline turbo engines.
My 2019 Shelby Ford Raptor was equipped with the EcoBoost 6-banger, rated at 525HP and 610 ft-lbs of torque, with its Shelby factory tune. Very fun to drive, but it still sounded pretty lamo, not much better sounding than the stock EcoBoost, and I got maybe 15MPG, on a good day. Certainly nowhere near as fast as the upcoming Ford F150 stock BEV ‘Lightning’ will be, at 4.5 secs 0-60 time. And, assuming Ford introduces a follow-on Raptor BEV F150 sometime after their ‘regular’ BEV F150, let alone a Shelby version of same, one can only imagine those 0-60 times!

Sponsored

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well maybe a 360 Surround camera system? Check out my page 2 of my order

F9D88633-5A43-4EFA-B769-F339F20769ED.jpeg

C6AD6B29-F130-4D0B-90BC-FC7180F41FE9.jpeg
That is pretty weird. The technology package has the satin grille, 360 camera and blind spot with LED tails. Before the technology package was air and the 7" radio.

Jeep Gladiator 2022.5 Rumors? 48FEFB27-E9F8-4CCA-B98C-776886331F46

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I still think there are actual MY22 updates lurking / unreleased as of yet. Uc4c is now standard, is Uc5 going to be the upgrade option soon?

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
No UC5 for you.......

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
You sir are a man of taste and culture!

No mini after 13 :(

There's also some question as to whether Stellantis is spending any more cash on IC engine development at all - several automakers have gone on record and said they aren't. They're electrifying pretty rapidly and on the ICE side there hasn't been much new introduced the past few years.
I personally think there will be a lot of backtracking with this, especially in the states. There is just too much geography in the way to make the switch to electric any time soon. Nor do we have anywhere near the infrastructure density of Europe, outside of the big cities. There is also the emissions issues that stem from the unfortunate fact that in many places, the added draw on electrical plants would produce more GHG emissions than running gas-powered vehicles. And that is assuming the electrical grid could handle the increased draw. Just isn't really feasible on the timescale that is being talked about.

Foreign luxury cars can get away with it, as cities tend to have the charging structure and those luxury vehicles tend to be concentrated there. Just my prediction.

Sponsored

Robtco99

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 wrangler, 01 cherokee
I think that after the new year they will probably offer up a more fun color. Gecko is done, and I would be surprised if tuscadaro makes it a full model year on the Wrangler.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Wow if Tech includes that, Then its a good value, seeing as you need safety for LED tailights and crosspath normaly. This is from the 10/8 guide tho.

Jeep Gladiator 2022.5 Rumors? 1634594497281

I was also led to believe Prox key is not a option on Sport s unless you get half doors?

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
This is news to me.

This is news to me in a more literal way. I thought they killed it partway through the 12 generation, but were bringing it back for 13?
Sorry if I was unclear. There is a 13 Mini but reports say it will be the final mini phone. It’s a bummer for me since, even though I’m a fairly big guy, I love the option of a phone that I can access the entire screen one handed while walking about.

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Gladiator, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Boeing
I would settle for a driver side mirror that could be adjusted better

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow if Tech includes that, Then its a good value, seeing as you need safety for LED tailights and crosspath normaly. This is from the 10/8 guide tho.

Jeep Gladiator 2022.5 Rumors? 1634594497281

I was also led to believe Prox key is not a option on Sport s unless you get half doors?
On the 2022 Wrangler you have to get half doors to get the proximity keyless entry. It was added to the build and price for the Gladiator a few months ago an you can add it to any trim level. Whether this is a glitch or not I'm not sure. Maybe someone will chime in with their success or failure trying to actually order with it.
Sponsored