First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I know this doesn’t help OP but has anyone tried this? I’m not sure if it applies all theft scenarios/strategies but it may be worth a try.

Sponsored

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Think I asked this before. Can one of the auxiliary switches be used as a cutoff? Have to press it either before or in conjunction with start button?
I'm currently searching the web for the diesel wiring schematics. I'm trying to come up a way to kill the starter, but still retain remote start function.

My goal is to press Unlock first to temporary disable the kill switch, then remote start. Technically just one extra step/button to press.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Long term parking - remove drive shafts?
Guess I'm glad I don't have proximity entry.
Hopefully someone can give the technical reason to disable it - not just what they heard or read.
I've yet to see where not having that would help - in fact, if they clone your fob, it would not. If they catch you pressing the unlock button and capture the communication to dupe your fob, it would not.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn't matter if they are cloning the FOB. The unlock button is just as fast as grabbing the door handle.
I've yet to see any tech explanation short of "it makes it easier". I think a lot is being repeated from what's read.
When I see a detailed tech explanation, that will make it believable.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Faraday bags and cases start around $8 on Amazon.
Yeah but a small box and foil are free.
But to your point - there's really no excuse for leaving fobs where the signal can be so easily accessed while the truck is in your garage or driveway or out front of your house. .

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The FOB has to be fairly close for Proximity Entry to work, much closer than is needed to use the buttons on the FOB. It doesn't really matter if they are cloning the FOB or just repeating the signal, they can easily gain access without the Proximity Entry feature even being installed. Turning it off is a hindrance to the driver, not to the thief.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Receipts only matter to the extent of your insurance policy. With USAA they only cover 10-15k depending on your policy......ask me how I know.
You still have USAA? I had them but switched to liberty. In ny USAA was getting outrageous.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Who's going to be the first one to make a belt Faraday keyfob pouch for when we not a home 😂?
Hmmmmmm. Uh, how about just wrap the fob in foil and be done with it?

(see if anyone catches that)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just wrap it in foil and stick it in your pocket. Problem solved.

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Shitty. I am also in Ottawa. I park indoors at home these days because it is cold, in warmer weather I leave it outside with no doors often... I was at work near the Jeep dealer on Richmond rd and had a random lady stop in and tell me she had hers stolen from across the street a few days earlier.. Not long before that I was heading out to Luskville and stopped at a depanneur (Canda's french version of a convenience store!) and the kid said he knew of two ppl locally who had their Jeeps stolen recently..

All of our policies are different, in my last experience with a vehicle that was stolen anything that was bolted to the vehicle was covered by the vehicle policy, anything that wasn't went under my home policy. My current policy has a full replacement value clause for the 1st two years of ownership. Dig deep into your policy, if you have any friends or friends of friends etc that work in insurance reach out to them for help understanding the policy.

I'm at a point that I don't even like leaving my dog to chill in the Mojave, for example in these temps if I go swim laps I used to bring him to get him out of the house (I don't get to work from home these days), but now the idea of leaving a senior dog in the rig doesn't sit well.
Sponsored