Sponsored

2022 model year M/T issues (clutch burnout smell and stall)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Rather than convert it, it's probably easier and cheaper to sell it or trade it. It sounds like it's really not working out for you, for whatever reason. It can't be cheaper to convert it over than to sell it. The transmission alone will cost more than you'd lose. Then you'd need a new pcm and new TCM. No telling what else.

You could also regear, or replace the clutch with an aftermarket unit. Maybe going down to 33s would be the cheapest option though?

I'm not sure what you're expecting on hills, since you said the Rubicon was difficult too, but a Rubicon has no trouble whatsoever starting on hills or mountains, even with 35s, although reverse is geared high. I'm in Appalachia, so hills abound. No problems. 35s on 3.73s will be very slow (even with the automatic), but you really should not have any other issues, and no smoke. The clutch isn't amazing, but it's certainly not undrivable.
Hills abound, understatement. I towed my mega-ton flatbed with a 3400 pounds car on it and the back of the truck had some parts in it - and I'm SO thankful that Ford had great heavy-duty brakes while coming back from Reading, PA through your "hills". I bet you use that shift lever once in a while.
Sponsored