2022 Rumors?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
lol yes. I want 37s or so (basically whatever I can stuff a full-size spare of) but kinda want to get some use out of the factory tires first. 35s would be a welcome available option from the factory
Right, I got good factory 33s. I might go up when they wear out, but just couldn't get myself to even consider not using them. Same thing with the mopar lifts that get installed on delivery, just why the hell can't FCA build at least the custom orders like that.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
The Jeep Wrangler has NEVER in its 35 year production had a factory V8 until now, and it's unlikely that the V8 option will stick around beyond the mid-cycle refresh next year. Which means that it's very likely that these 392 Wranglers will end up being collectors items one day. And, the faster we transition to a mostly electric world, the faster the values on them will go up.
I try really hard to forget about those. 126 horsepower I think? And the carb couldn't handle off camber trails. Just terrible. My father had a nearly mint CJ-5 and we spent more time trying to keep it running than we did four wheeling. 🙃
You aren't talking the 304. The 304 had the Motorcraft 2bbl that I6 Jeep people like to put on their Jeeps replacing the carter carb that keeps coming loose and had the stepper motors.
Totally different animal.
Not sure what year CJ5 you were talking but AMC didn't product the 304 until 1971, it replaced the 290.
Yep the 304 (5.0l) AMC V-8 was installed in CJ-5 and CJ-7 Jeeps from 1972 until the early 1980's. Terrible setup, burned huge amounts of fuel and produced low amounts of power. You could make them sound like they had power though...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yep the 304 (5.0l) AMC V-8 was installed in CJ-5 and CJ-7 Jeeps from 1972 until the early 1980's. Terrible setup, burned huge amounts of fuel and produced low amounts of power. You could make them sound like they had power though...
The 360 was the better choice and put in a lot more Jeeps - the larger Jeeps, that is, perhaps some others. Same exact size and block configuration so one could pull a 304 and swap in any of the others - including the 401. You can't really tell which is which unless you crawl under and look at the side of the block next to the engine mount bosses where the displacement was cast - unless it was a service block. The 304 was fine for cars but didn't have low end torque. The 360 was a lot better in that area. The 360 also lasted almost forever.

I have a 1970 360 here in pieces, the 360 in my 73, and a 401 sitting around partially disassembled. Maybe I should sell one of 'em to a Jeep guy to swap out his/her 304

Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Off Topic: earlier someone said the 304 produced 120-something HP - which didn’t sound right, so I looked up the specs on the old AMC engines.

The 258 I-6 that was in my 1978 CJ-7 made 150 HP and 240 Lb/ft torque. That engine was great! The carburetor was not so great ;)

The 304 V8 made 210 HP and torque ranged from 220 up to a whole lot more - depending on which version of the 304. I don’t know which version of the 304 they dropped in the CJs.

Just a little walk down memory lane!

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
The 258 I-6 that was in my 1978 CJ-7 made 150 HP and 240 Lb/ft torque. That engine was great! The carburetor was not so great ;)

Just a little walk down memory lane!
Ahhh the 258 with that carb....I still had that in my 1990 YJ and I vividly remember praying to the jeep gods at every red light that it would not cut out on me. Eventually saved up enough to swap on a Weber carb, but the memory remains to this day and I still sort of think of fuel injection as a modern marvel lol.

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
Ahhh the 258 with that carb....I still had that in my 1990 YJ and I vividly remember praying to the jeep gods at every red light that it would not cut out on me. Eventually saved up enough to swap on a Weber carb, but the memory remains to this day and I still sort of think of fuel injection as a modern marvel lol.
That brings back memories. Not a Jeep, but in high school I had a 1978 Chevy Bonanza with a carbureted 350. As should have been evident from the word "Chevy" that thing was a total POS.

It'd almost always cut out at a stop light, or even if you slightly let off the gas. One too many backfires or something goofed up that carb.

Well, one day I'm driving a good 55 coming up on a turn, so in order to start slowing down I do what I'd always done, I shift into neutral... well, this vehicle's shift was on the column, and the reverse lock-out was trash, so BAM right into reverse...

I scared the shit out of my friend riding shotgun, and left some narly tire marks for a solid 25 yards behind us.

I don't miss carbs.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor

Sponsored

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Well there certainly isn't anything else new to talk about in here.... lol.
I did hear that the 2022 models will be released this year. Got that from a pretty good source.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I did hear that the 2022 models will be released this year. Got that from a pretty good source.
Oh yeah? Well I heard they would be offered in at least 4 shades of gray.

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Oh yeah? Well I heard they would be offered in at least 4 shades of gray.
Not sure if I should laugh or cry at that one.... :CWL::crying:
Sponsored