Sponsored

21 Jt rubi. Dead!

Jackpaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
I have a 21 rubi Jt.. went to start and nothing! Horn wouldn’t even honk. Towed to dealer.. changed batteries nothing… told them it doesn’t seem to be sending power out. They ordered a pdc and replaced. Everything on the dash lit up and the different components are not talking to each other. I ask about the control buss that is the brain… they said they have never seen this before… 700 miles from home and they asked if I wanted to tow it home??? I said with what? And r u paying… so just waiting to see what they throw at it next but really need to go home… anybody have ideas??
Feel your pain, my 21 JTR has been in the shop about 4 combined months, then the garage for 3 more. New PDC, ECM, PCM (?), diff censor, then new rear axle due to another censor failure, both batteries, bunch of wiring issues, codes that won’t clear. Fun times with Chrysler:)

unfortunately we have a saturated marketplace with mass produced gladiators that are becoming a close runner up to the dodge neon for reliability 😂

Nice looking car though
Sponsored

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Feel your pain, my 21 JTR has been in the shop about 4 combined months, then the garage for 3 more. New PDC, ECM, PCM (?), diff censor, then new rear axle due to another censor failure, both batteries, bunch of wiring issues, codes that won’t clear. Fun times with Chrysler:)

unfortunately we have a saturated marketplace with mass produced gladiators that are becoming a close runner up to the dodge neon for reliability 😂

Nice looking car though
The only Neon I rode in had the turbo’d 2.0 DOHC engine and a 5 speed. Not sure if it was factory but it would flat out run.

OP
OP

Killinbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jt rubi
Occupation
Retired

Nice looking car though
Did they ever get it fixed?

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
The answer is ALWAYS NO.
Amen!!! I bought a car at auction that had been reverse jump started, I won’t make that mistake again.

Sponsored

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
PDC does normally come with the Z fuse array. If both batteries where replaced, and PDC replaced and good. Next Batteries should be retested after they've been installed.

OP
OP

Killinbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jt rubi
Occupation
Retired
PDC does normally come with the Z fuse array. If both batteries where replaced, and PDC replaced and good. Next Batteries should be retested after they've been installed.
They said that 2 parts came in yesterday.. maybe that was the other?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They checked the control buss and said it’s bad but most of the other modules are as well… then yesterday they said did u jump start it.. so they sound like they want to pin this on me…. I metered the batteries… tow truck tried to jump…. Still can’t get Jeep wave to start a case
Jump starting doesn't matter a lick if you can see colors. You do it like ANY other vehicle on the road.
If you are stupid and reverse the connections of the cables - you short the batteries. That would mean black clamp on red battery post, red clamp on black battery post? Wow, that takes brains.
You will make crazy sparks because you are shorting the batteries like putting a big strip of copper across both posts. Fireworks.

21 was the year of the AUX battery ground cable reversal. Surely they didn't.
It can't matter. They both bolt together and go on the IBS - so what if one is the top or bottom in the stack.
I could go out now and remove the grounds and put them on the other way around. Both connect to the top of the IBS.

Check if they blew a high voltage fuse while replacing the battery.
There are 5 fuses in that array, each does something different. Blowing all 5? Even then, the aux battery would power the N1 post which is not fused.
N7 is alternator output - won't matter.
N3 charges the aux battery - won't matter.
Then there's N5 - the cooling fan
N4 or N6 maybe trigger a no start?
Simple as heck to test! Are those studs hot?

N2 comes from the main battery which powers everything seen here -
+
Jeep Gladiator 21 Jt rubi.  Dead! 1674007742470

N3 goes out from the bus to charge the aux battery.

Sponsored

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Jump starting doesn't matter a lick if you can see colors. You do it like ANY other vehicle on the road.
If you are stupid and reverse the connections of the cables - you short the batteries. That would mean black clamp on red battery post, red clamp on black battery post? Wow, that takes brains.
You will make crazy sparks because you are shorting the batteries like putting a big strip of copper across both posts. Fireworks.

It can't matter. They both bolt together and go on the IBS - so what if one is the top or bottom in the stack.
I could go out now and remove the grounds and put them on the other way around. Both connect to the top of the IBS.

There are 5 fuses in that array, each does something different. Blowing all 5? Even then, the aux battery would power the N1 post which is not fused.
N7 is alternator output - won't matter.
N3 charges the aux battery - won't matter.
Then there's N5 - the cooling fan
N4 or N6 maybe trigger a no start?
Simple as heck to test! Are those studs hot?

N2 comes from the main battery which powers everything seen here -
+
Jeep Gladiator 21 Jt rubi.  Dead! 1674007742470

N3 goes out from the bus to charge the aux battery.
the negative cable flip issue is people think the removed ground by taking the negative off the main battery, “therefore power must be gone now” but they don't separate the two cables. Even techs are dumb enough. Trust me. Also, youd be amazed how many people jump vehicles wrong, lots of Fuse Array failures are because of it, and not because of flipped terminals either, people are really good at attaching one battery, while having the clamp sitting on a ground. Also, for some reason, people jump start from the fuse array, “because they saw a youtube video…” and always do the wrong post.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
the negative cable flip issue is people think the removed ground by taking the negative off the main battery, “therefore power must be gone now” but they don't separate the two cables. Even techs are dumb enough. Trust me. Also, youd be amazed how many people jump vehicles wrong, lots of Fuse Array failures are because of it, and not because of flipped terminals either, people are really good at attaching one battery, while having the clamp sitting on a ground. Also, for some reason, people jump start from the fuse array, “because they saw a youtube video…” and always do the wrong post.
He was referring to the negative cables being "flipped" in that in 2020 model year, the main battery ground had the stud and was on the IBS first, then the aux battery cable was attached to that cable on its stud.
So you could isolate the aux battery by simply pulling the top ground cable off.

Then for 2021 and later they "flipped" the cables - the aux ground cable had the large end with the stud and went on the IBS first, then the main battery ground went on top of that.
So if you want to disconnect only the aux battery, you must take both cables off the IBS and separate them.

OP
OP

Killinbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jt rubi
Occupation
Retired
My buddy owns a shop and has for many years. He ask if it could have been struck by lightning…. It was storming the night before it quit? He said he had had 1 that was as mine and the ins had to total it… I hope that is not the case…

OP
OP

Killinbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jt rubi
Occupation
Retired
The dealership now changed out BCM and it started but still has issues they said….

OP
OP

Killinbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jt rubi
Occupation
Retired
. These are the modules that have been replaced as of the moment; BODY CONTROLLER MODULE, ANTI-LOCK BRAKE MODULE, TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING MODULE, and TRANSFER CASE CONTROL MODULE. And still has issues!
Sponsored