First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jt rubi
Occupation
Retired
I have a 21 rubi Jt.. went to start and nothing! Horn wouldn’t even honk. Towed to dealer.. changed batteries nothing… told them it doesn’t seem to be sending power out. They ordered a pdc and replaced. Everything on the dash lit up and the different components are not talking to each other. I ask about the control buss that is the brain… they said they have never seen this before… 700 miles from home and they asked if I wanted to tow it home??? I said with what? And r u paying… so just waiting to see what they throw at it next but really need to go home… anybody have ideas??
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Stabbing guess is either a wrong part number PDC was installed and/or installation error of it.

Troubleshooting electrical over the internet without eyes on the problem has pitfalls.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
21 was the year of the AUX battery ground cable reversal. Surely they didn't.
As someone with a 21, care to expand on this? Something I should bring up to the dealer? Or something I should look at fixing myself?

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
As someone with a 21, care to expand on this? Something I should bring up to the dealer? Or something I should look at fixing myself?
At some point around mid year in 21 Jeep assembly flipped the two negative cables where they come together on the main battery.
Previously, the smaller cable could always be trusted to be the one that went down and under the PCM to the AUX battery, but after the flip it's now the larger cable that goes to the AUX battery.
I don't know if a mechanic who's changing out both batteries at the same time would reconnect them wrong, or if that even would make any difference, but it's worth looking at in this case.
Also, if they did remove the PCM it's probably a good idea to make sure that they properly reseated the plugs and that they got the cables reinstalled in the right places and orders at the terminal block.
It's not profound, but the terminal connectors are labeled numerically.

I'm guessing that this initial problem stemmed from a battery failure, and that now that the batteries have been replaced, that there's either an installation error or they haven't been properly charged yet.

Like the man said, Internet troubleshooting can be tricky, but 20 years in desktop support has taught me that human involvement means anything can and will get bumped, shifted, unplugged, moved, and guessed at.

Sponsored

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
At some point around mid year in 21 Jeep assembly flipped the two negative cables where they come together on the main battery.
Previously, the smaller cable could always be trusted to be the one that went down and under the PCM to the AUX battery, but after the flip it's now the larger cable that goes to the AUX battery.
I don't know if a mechanic who's changing out both batteries at the same time would reconnect them wrong, or if that even would make any difference, but it's worth looking at in this case.
Also, if they did remove the PCM it's probably a good idea to make sure that they properly reseated the plugs and that they got the cables reinstalled in the right places and orders at the terminal block.

I'm guessing that this initial problem stemmed from a battery failure, and that now that the batteries have been replaced, that there's either an installation error or they haven't been properly charged yet.

Like the man said, Internet troubleshooting can be tricky, but 20 years in desktop support has taught me that human involvement means anything can and will get bumped, shifted, unplugged, moved, and guessed at.
Thank you, so mine was a very early 2021 version, so I *should* be good? I took delivery on a 2021 in Dec 2020.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Had the totally same dead issue on my 2013 wrangler. The PDC module took a shit. Dealer fixed it 30 days later...

OP
OP

Killinbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jt rubi
Occupation
Retired

Wasn’t really a battery failure to begin with… the dome lights would come on… lol. Put a meter on it and it had nice…. I could hear the hazard light relay clicking when I was checking fuses… and some were not seated good but nothing! They put a new pcm in and that’s when the lights went crazy on the dash

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Check if they blew a high voltage fuse while replacing the battery.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Killinbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jt rubi
Occupation
Retired

Batteries had power just weren’t putting it out…

OP
OP

Killinbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jt rubi
Occupation
Retired
They checked the control buss and said it’s bad but most of the other modules are as well… then yesterday they said did u jump start it.. so they sound like they want to pin this on me…. I metered the batteries… tow truck tried to jump…. Still can’t get Jeep wave to start a case