john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt rubicon diesel
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Diesel air filter for 21 JT. Help I need one. No one has any. I've ordered one from my local dealer about 3 weeks ago, still nothing. I've looked online with no luck. I've cleaned the one in the Jeep to try and get by. I really don't want to go the K&N way, but I might have to. After seeing the chart on the K&N, I'll pass on it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Anything but that. At least if you like your engine.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Don't make the mistake I did and pick up the matched part for the Hastings filter on RA. Not an expensive mistake but was still surprised they list it despite clearly being for the 3.6 once in hand. Docs Diesel had them for awhile, I ordered an extra but they no longer have them in stock. I grabbed a few oil and fuel filter sets on their recent father's day promo. I'd give them a ring and see when they are getting their next air filter batch in.

Screenshot of the non-fitting (yet listed as a match) filter to avoid:

Jeep Gladiator Diesel air filter for 21 JT. Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 9.39.00 PM

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
I ordered this from dieselfiltersonline and it fits and looks just like the one from the factory despite different part numbers

68293164AB]Mopar Jeep Wrangler air filter

SKU: 68293164AB

OP
OP
wv_gladiator

wv_gladiator

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt rubicon diesel
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered this from dieselfiltersonline and it fits and looks just like the one from the factory despite different part numbers

68293164AB]Mopar Jeep Wrangler air filter

SKU: 68293164AB
thanks, I'll try there.

OP
OP
wv_gladiator

wv_gladiator

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt rubicon diesel
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Anything but that. At least if you like your engine.
I thought K&N were supposed to be high end... at least in the performance world. Are our Jeeps having issues with them ?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I thought K&N were supposed to be high end... at least in the performance world. Are our Jeeps having issues with them ?
Marketing and those believers or kooaid drinkers that rely on anecdotal stuff out there.

They are fine if you must have maximum air flow and aren't so concerned about the dirt also getting through.
They are the worst or near to for actual filtering. I have the charts from real ISO testing - scientific testing, not DIY youtube stuff.

Any engine exposed to fine dust will have issues. Not a matter of "our Jeeps" or gas or diesel, they just do a poor job of filtering.
They rely on marketing and believers going out and about and promoting them.
It's a thing that has taken on a life of its own - they look cool, and so on.
Hey, that race engine has one, they must be good - but think of the drag car on a 1/4 mile strip compared to a vehicle used on real roads and with an engine that's not torn down every few miles. When your high-dollar catalog outfits like JEGS, Summit and others sell something, it must be great and cool. The proof is against them and yet they still sell like hotcakes because peer reviews are better than science.

K&N is next to the worst one tested in amount of dirt it let through or passed -

Jeep Gladiator Diesel air filter for 21 JT. total-dirt-passed

They are also real quick to lose capacity - in other words, they may flow air very well when just put in, but are quick to lose that advantage, all while passing more dirt. In short, yeah, you can clean them but unless you constantly clean them, they get restrictive (again, while passing more dirt)

One guy tested a K&N direct replacement in a Ford pickup - on a dyno. He picked up a couple of HP - at RPM in the 5,000 range. So how often do you drive at that RPM?

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Marketing and those believers or kooaid drinkers that rely on anecdotal stuff out there.

They are fine if you must have maximum air flow and aren't so concerned about the dirt also getting through.
They are the worst or near to for actual filtering. I have the charts from real ISO testing - scientific testing, not DIY youtube stuff.

Any engine exposed to fine dust will have issues. Not a matter of "our Jeeps" or gas or diesel, they just do a poor job of filtering.
Hey, that race engine has one, they must be good - but think of the drag car on a 1/4 mile strip compared to a vehicle used on real roads and with an engine that's not torn down every few miles. When your high-dollar catalog outfits like JEGS, Summit and others sell something, it must be great and cool. The proof is against them and yet they still sell like hotcakes because peer reviews are better than science.

K&N is next to the worst one tested in amount of dirt it let through or passed -

Jeep Gladiator Diesel air filter for 21 JT. total-dirt-passed

They are also real quick to lose capacity - in other words, they may flow air very well when just put in, but are quick to lose that advantage, all while passing more dirt. In short, yeah, you can clean them but unless you constantly clean them, they get restrictive (again, while passing more dirt)

One guy tested a K&N direct replacement in a Ford pickup - on a dyno. He picked up a couple of HP - at RPM in the 5,000 range. So how often do you drive at that RPM?
agreed

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military

total-dirt-passed.png

@ShadowsPapa I don't want to hijack this thread, so you mind if I PM you, need some advice on the battery, I quoted you in a battery thread, but never got a response.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa I don't want to hijack this thread, so you mind if I PM you, need some advice on the battery, I quoted you in a battery thread, but never got a response.
That's fine........ my emails came in out of order..
Sponsored