First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Occupation
machinist
I only have a little over 800 miles on mine so I don't have much experience. But here's my opinions of it.

The gas mileage is good if you keep your foot out of it and go 65mph or below on the interstate. At 60-65mph I can average around 26-29mpg, depending on how hilly it is. Now, at 80mph it drops to 17-18mpg. As for range, I'm getting around 300 miles out of a tank before the light comes on. It usually takes about 15-16 gallons to fill up. However, I do accelerate rather quickly from a stop and usually cruise at 80-85mph on the interstate. Also the diesel comes with an 18 gallon tank over the gas having a 22 gallon tank. So that would also factor into the range.

I honestly wouldn't buy a diesel for cost savings. You have to factor in more expensive oil changes and routine maintenance, the cost of diesel vs 87 octane gas, and DEF. Diesel around where I live is more expensive than 87 octane... As for DEF, I have about 65% left and it came with 75% from the factory. So I don't really know how many miles you'd get with a full tank of DEF. Then the oil changes are probably twice as much as the 3.6L.

As for the good, it has a lot of power. It pulls great with half throttle and is a blast to drive. It'll hold 8th gear on the interstate without any issue on inclines and no matter how fast you're going. It doesn't even compete in the same ballpark with 3.6L in terms of power...

POWER is the reason you should buy the diesel. I feel as though the 3.0L diesel is the PERFECT engine for the gladiator. I'm just hoping that it's somewhat reliable up to 100k miles... but I'm not too optimistic after reading all the complaints.

Anyway, would I buy the diesel again? HELL YES. The 3.6L pentastar wasn't even on my radar. It's a dog of an engine and you have to rev it too high to get power out of it. I did have an overall bad experience with the 3.6L in my 2014 JK, so that probably factors into why I dislike it so much. Honestly though, I wouldn't even have considered the gladiator if the diesel wasn't an option.
My thoughts exactly, but I have about 8.5k miles on mine.
My only complaint is the bottoming out issue. I drive a lot of rough dirt / gravel roads and I have this problem quite frequently. I’m planning to do a lift soon, and hope it will fix the problem.
Sponsored

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
2 weeks and 1700 miles and I wouldn't want the gasser.

Great get-up-and-go on 37s with 73s and great mileage.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
My only complaint is the bottoming out issue. I drive a lot of rough dirt / gravel roads and I have this problem quite frequently. I’m planning to do a lift soon, and hope it will fix the problem.
This does suck. My original intention was to do a 2" spacer lift but now at least as 2" Mopar diesel lift is in order because of the bottoming out issue.

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I do have the bottoming out issue... It sucks that I have to worry about whether the dip in the road is large enough that the Jeep will bottom out or not. I was going to lift the Jeep anyway so it won't be an issue for too long.

Now just to decide if I want to go with the EVO 2.5" or the EVO 4.5" on 37s.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
You don’t need a lift just different shocks id imagine. Mine had the bottom out issue the shocks were too soft.

Sponsored

VBDiesel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Diesel
Occupation
Bone Fixer
#TorqueBomb

I love my Diesel. Not cheaper to own but much nicer to drive. Effortless power. I have 35's and lift fixed bottoming issue.

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
I've owned both.

My advise if you are buying it to tow, is read the threads on the diesel power derating. Obviously not every diesel owner has this problem but there is clearly limits to the cooling systems ability to adequately cool the diesel. It pulls pretty awesome till you actually work it and then it falls on its face. fuel mileage is 10 give or take when pulling and your def usage will at least quadruple. nobody buys a diesel to have to baby it pulling hills, at altitude, in hot Temps......etc. If your only going to pull at 40mph a gasser will do that effortlessly too.

The other concern that finally turned me off was all the check engine lights. I never took a trip without an engine light coming on at some point. The things have a million sensors and everytime something is outside an allowable range you get a CEL, sometimes even the extra special see dealer message and mileage count down to disable the rig.

I put almost 20k on my diesel and there is a lot to like but ultimately I got to the point I didn't trust it. With the factory warranty expiration quickly approaching, I bailed. Back to a gasser, lifted, 37's, regeared. Surprisingly little regret and no more worries.

If you want a diesel get one, you'll probably love it most of the time. If you work it very hard and have any of the normal issues/ problems you'll probably eventually question if it was worth it.

OP
OP
Courtsm3

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
I've owned both.

My advise if you are buying it to tow, is read the threads on the diesel power derating. Obviously not every diesel owner has this problem but there is clearly limits to the cooling systems ability to adequately cool the diesel. It pulls pretty awesome till you actually work it and then it falls on its face. fuel mileage is 10 give or take when pulling and your def usage will at least quadruple. nobody buys a diesel to have to baby it pulling hills, at altitude, in hot Temps......etc. If your only going to pull at 40mph a gasser will do that effortlessly too.

The other concern that finally turned me off was all the check engine lights. I never took a trip without an engine light coming on at some point. The things have a million sensors and everytime something is outside an allowable range you get a CEL, sometimes even the extra special see dealer message and mileage count down to disable the rig.

I put almost 20k on my diesel and there is a lot to like but ultimately I got to the point I didn't trust it. With the factory warranty expiration quickly approaching, I bailed. Back to a gasser, lifted, 37's, regeared. Surprisingly little regret and no more worries.

If you want a diesel get one, you'll probably love it most of the time. If you work it very hard and have any of the normal issues/ problems you'll probably eventually question if it was worth it.
Its mostly a daily driver, pulling the sea to sky highway and it will sometimes to my overland trailer which loaded is about 1650lbs with kit/food/water. Not much. Then about 600-700 lbs payload with wife and kids plus bags/kit etc. This past summer the 3.6 struggled climbing a roughly 6000ft climb, where my wife got annoyed by my magnaflow exhaust (now gone).

The goal with this rig is stock tires 285/70/17 with just my warn 10k up front. Everything else stock this time around. Likely as those tires wear 285/75/17 next. As cool as 35/37’s are, I don’t need them for my usage. Working a deal on sarge green rubicon 3.0. Hopefully it works out.

As for maintenance, I did my heavy duty apprenticeship back in 2007-12 so I know my way around a diesel for the most part. I was one of the first to see DPF’s back in 2007 and that was a treat. They appear to be much better now and my new concern is def but again after about 8-9 years they appear to be getting better. I have a Jeep dealer 30 minutes from me and luckily they are awesome to deal with (wifes journey a few times). Thanks again for the feedback everyone. Now also time to seal up my wifes bronco sport deal.

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
What no one is discussing is cold weather starting. My Cummins was great. Started all the way down to -26 degrees. Had a diesel Mercedes and a diesel Liberty and both were problematic below zero. Dealer said to plug it in. Well when you need to park over 1000 ft or more from your house that is a problem. Put an Espar heater in the Mercedes, but hesitate to think what they cost today. The Mercedes had great power and got over 30 mpg(ml350 bluetec). From what people are saying you are only adding a few mpg and paying more for diesel as a whole. I bought a Mojave for the suspension and clearance. I like to run dirt at high speed. I’m sure I’d like the highway ride of the diesel better, but bottoming out on dirt is not an exceptable option. The hybrid engine would of been nice. Lighter engine up front and battery on the rear floor. So to the op I didn’t see where you live, but warmer climates are better suited for diesels. Much better power for towing too although I never would of bought a Gladiator to tow anything substantial.

OP
OP
Courtsm3

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
What no one is discussing is cold weather starting. My Cummins was great. Started all the way down to -26 degrees. Had a diesel Mercedes and a diesel Liberty and both were problematic below zero. Dealer said to plug it in. Well when you need to park over 1000 ft or more from your house that is a problem. Put an Espar heater in the Mercedes, but hesitate to think what they cost today. The Mercedes had great power and got over 30 mpg(ml350 bluetec). From what people are saying you are only adding a few mpg and paying more for diesel as a whole. I bought a Mojave for the suspension and clearance. I like to run dirt at high speed. I’m sure I’d like the highway ride of the diesel better, but bottoming out on dirt is not an exceptable option. The hybrid engine would of been nice. Lighter engine up front and battery on the rear floor. So to the op I didn’t see where you live, but warmer climates are better suited for diesels. Much better power for towing too although I never would of bought a Gladiator to tow anything substantial.
From my knowledge and readings the 3.0 has little troubles down to -10 Fahrenheit. I get at coldest -20 celsius but I can plug in easily if I need to.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
26,000 miles on two of these engines. Would never go back to gas.

I tow very heavy in 100F summer weather. Drive below zero with ice and snow in winter. I'd never go back to gas. The torque is night and day different.

OP
OP
Courtsm3

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
This is a pretty good idea of what my savings would be per fill up with how my current setup performs vs. A stock rubicon diesel. This is my area pricing for fuel here in Western Canada as of today.

I did quick math on cost per tank.

Diesel at $1.55 per litre on 71L tank is about $96 to fill and approx 684km range but thats using 65L (not the full 71L) to empty

Gas at $1.65 per litre on 81L tank is about $118 to fill and 592km range using 74L (not the full 81L) to empty

Thats based on my 12.5L/100km combined average right now (which is a overall average) with 35”s. Its worth mentioning I’m at 12.9 as of this morning but 12.5-13 seems to be where it sits.

Vs.

Ecodiesel average of 9.5L/100km combined as advertised for rubicon on stock 33”s. A friend of mine confirmed hes getting 9.7/100km overall since new.

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Its mostly a daily driver, pulling the sea to sky highway and it will sometimes to my overland trailer which loaded is about 1650lbs with kit/food/water. Not much. Then about 600-700 lbs payload with wife and kids plus bags/kit etc. This past summer the 3.6 struggled climbing a roughly 6000ft climb, where my wife got annoyed by my magnaflow exhaust (now gone).

The goal with this rig is stock tires 285/70/17 with just my warn 10k up front. Everything else stock this time around. Likely as those tires wear 285/75/17 next. As cool as 35/37’s are, I don’t need them for my usage. Working a deal on sarge green rubicon 3.0. Hopefully it works out.

As for maintenance, I did my heavy duty apprenticeship back in 2007-12 so I know my way around a diesel for the most part. I was one of the first to see DPF’s back in 2007 and that was a treat. They appear to be much better now and my new concern is def but again after about 8-9 years they appear to be getting better. I have a Jeep dealer 30 minutes from me and luckily they are awesome to deal with (wifes journey a few times). Thanks again for the feedback everyone. Now also time to seal up my wifes bronco sport deal.
Make sure that winch up front doesn't restrict any airflow through the grill.

donaldus

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1974 VW
Occupation
Driver
So im torn on this. I checked out my balance owing on my 12 month old JT sport auto 3.6. I asked my good friend at my local dealer and he came back with 50k fir JT. I bought my JT for 44 lol. Granted I have about $5000 in mods on my JT. So i threw in a proposal of keeping my lights, bumper and winch on a 21’ EcoDiesel Sport with nearly identical options as mine currently. Just minus the lift and 35’s which I actually dont want to do anymore. My goal is mpg and going further on our overland trips while towing the off road trailer. So how are you guys liking the diesel? Worth the cost up front? I did some calculations and the improved mpg and cheaper cost of diesel is a wash with the higher biweekly payment.
traded my ram ecodiesel BECAUSE of the engine. Had a host of malfunctions (throttle disconnect, overheating, software issues). Lawyer got me $6000 + purchase. I wouldn’t have that Italian piece of iron in any vehicle. Happy with my Pentastar + MBRP exhaust, Banks intake and throttlebody spacer and roarpedal. The transmission on the Gladiator is far superior to the Taco.

OP
OP
Courtsm3

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Getting a bit worried. The 3.6 is mostly pretty stout and im getting a decent amount of feedback to steer clear of the ED. Hate to trade in a good truck for something that might sit in a shop for days on end without replacement DEF parts (known issue)
Sponsored

Reactions: Mac