First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I have to do the math. But Ive gotten just over 700 miles on a tank (24 gal) with the ecodiesel wk2. If I remember right the 3.6 doesn't come close in the wk2s.
I also have a 3.6 in my wife's Pacifica with a 9 speed. Its aerodynamic and still only gets 25-27 highway and 17ish in town. My heavy (with mods and bigger tires)wk2 diesel easily gets 19+ in town. I've noticed that the diesel really doesn't mind the city driving (low speeds stop and go) as much as the gas does. Probably the low end torque
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
I have to do the math. But Ive gotten just over 700 miles on a tank (24 gal) with the ecodiesel wk2. If I remember right the 3.6 doesn't come close in the wk2s.
I also have a 3.6 in my wife's Pacifica with a 9 speed. Its aerodynamic and still only gets 25-27 highway and 17ish in town. My heavy (with mods and bigger tires)wk2 diesel easily gets 19+ in town. I've noticed that the diesel really doesn't mind the city driving (low speeds stop and go) as much as the gas does. Probably the low end torque
I would be interested to know I got my information from fueleconomy.gov which in the last has been pretty close to what actual mpg that I have gotten.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Anybody know if the v6 that'll be in the Gladiator is the same v6 in the Pacifica?

Unfortunately I don't have the normal v6 Pacifica cuz mine is a hybrid and is detuned/optimized, but the reason I'm asking is because the v6 in mine warms up SUPERMAN TO THE RESCUE FAST. It would be amazing if the Gladiator also heats up that fast.

Not sure why that is. Is it an all aluminum block or something? My 2008 grand caravan 3.8 takes a while to heat up.

This is also one reason I probably won't get the diesel. I'll be commuting 5miles or less to work for the majority of driving. The diesel may never warm up. Blah!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's not that the diesel is a terrible choice at all...

Virtually every gas v. diesel discussion finds guys who are pro gas screaming that diesels are more expensive and that's true. I own a construction company and we probably have a dozen Diesel engines in one vehicle or another.

You don't buy a diesel truck to save money. Period.

You buy a diesel truck for low end power and better mileage, particularly as the trucks get bigger or the loads increase. I pay more for this increase in performance and am happy to do so. It's similar to the guys who buy bigger gas engines instead of the smaller 6 cylinder.

Personally, I am considering the diesel JT because I want to turn the truck into an overlanding vehicle and the diesel range will probably be worth the cost. I currently have the WK2 EcoDiesel so I am very familiar with its pros and cons.
But we're not talking about full size trucks here. We're talking Jeeps. How much low end power do you need for a 7,600 lb. max trailer or a 1,600 lb. max payload? The Jeep is not capable of hauling/towing enough weight to justify one engine option over the other. All 3 options are overkill for such small work loads.

As far as mileage goes, I get that the diesel achieves better MPGs. But, the fuel costs more negating a lot of the benefit. And, fuel is harder to find for a diesel. I remember taking vacation from KY to FL with my diesel Jeep or trips to offroad parks hours away in mine and having to remember to fill up as soon as I got below a half tank because you never could count on the next station you find having diesel, and if they do have it will the nozzles fit the Jeep filler tube or will they be sized for commercial trucks. It became a real pain. In terms of fuel, I just don't see as much benefit as people claim.

We estimate $4,500 upfront cost, more money for fuel, more for maintenance, more for repair, and a few other sacrifices, and the only argument we're making is that there is almost no scenario where it makes sense to do that.

I'm a big fan of diesels. Been around them my whole life. I love them. But in 2019 with all the emissions equipment and sacrifices, it's just not worth it in a light duty truck.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Wxman just go ahead and buy a gas version. I won't be mad...promise.

Just afford me the same curtesy ;-)

Sponsored

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Anybody know if the v6 that'll be in the Gladiator is the same v6 in the Pacifica?

Unfortunately I don't have the normal v6 Pacifica cuz mine is a hybrid and is detuned/optimized, but the reason I'm asking is because the v6 in mine warms up SUPERMAN TO THE RESCUE FAST. It would be amazing if the Gladiator also heats up that fast.

Not sure why that is. Is it an all aluminum block or something? My 2008 grand caravan 3.8 takes a while to heat up.

This is also one reason I probably won't get the diesel. I'll be commuting 5miles or less to work for the majority of driving. The diesel may never warm up. Blah!
I think it is. I have a 2017 pacifica (not hybrid). It is the main reason im hesitant to get the v6 in the JT. In the Pacifica it is a turd. Slow and not as efficient as if expect it to be.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
As far as mileage goes, I get that the diesel achieves better MPGs. But, the fuel costs more negating a lot of the benefit. And, fuel is harder to find for a diesel. I remember taking vacation from KY to FL with my diesel Jeep or trips to offroad parks hours away in mine and having to remember to fill up as soon as I got below a half tank because you never could count on the next station you find having diesel, and if they do have it will the nozzles fit the Jeep filler tube or will they be sized for commercial trucks. It became a real pain. In terms of fuel, I just don't see as much benefit as people claim.
its the opposite over here when you get away from civilization diesel is easier to find than petrol (gas) but it is becoming more readily available

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I think it is. I have a 2017 pacifica (not hybrid). It is the main reason im hesitant to get the v6 in the JT. In the Pacifica it is a turd. Slow and not as efficient as if expect it to be.
what are the axle gear ratio in that pacifica? I bet 4:10s alone make a huge difference, even after you account for larger tires.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
yeah i think mine is the same as the gas one, just detuned a bit.

i'm crossing fingers for that straight 6 turbo!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I'm not sure I understand all this talk about the Pacifica's drivetrain..isn't that a front wheel drive?

Won't the gas engine be a carry over from the JL?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure I understand all this talk about the Pacifica's drivetrain..isn't that a front wheel drive?

Won't the gas engine be a carry over from the JL?
I was just curious if anybody knew if the jl shared the same engine as the Pacifica, because in our van, it gets to operating temp SUPER FAST. If it is the same basic 3.6 liter, that would be sweet,because I'll be commuting with my Gladiator and want it to warm up quick in the winter.

Homerun was saying he didn't like the v6 in his Pacifica, but the gearing may be the culprit of it's poopiness.

nerdridesbikes

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Colorado
I have a Colorado with the gas engine towing a 4500lb travel trailer. On coastal terrain I get about 15-16mpg towing, but drops to 7-8 when driving through the mountains in Vermont, not to mention it’s sucking wind and working it’s a** off. I am hoping I can swing the diesel and it will help with that.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
I have a Colorado with the gas engine towing a 4500lb travel trailer. On coastal terrain I get about 15-16mpg towing, but drops to 7-8 when driving through the mountains in Vermont, not to mention it’s sucking wind and working it’s a** off. I am hoping I can swing the diesel and it will help with that.
i have the diesel colorado & it wouldnt matter how hard i worked it it couldnt drink anywhere near that much the worst ive had is 16mpg towing my bitumen spray trailer & that weighes at least 2tonnes
so if you want to tow diesel is the go

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Followed this debate on numerous forums pertaining to midsize and 1500 diesel trucks. I don't recall seeing anyone in this discussion mention the higher resale of a diesel factored in total ownership costs. A diesel will have higher resale, as the there are fewer available, and they have a reputation for durability (I know that is debatable regarding the VW Motori). However, when comparing to the Colorado, Ram 1500, and JGC, those with diesels all resale for a higher price than the V6 option. I would say if selling by owner, which typically brings a higher return, the diesel is significantly easier to resale as there is a specific group of buyers searching only for used diesels. So with that said, a $4500 premium over the V6, i'd count on getting 2k back. I did a KBB comparison of a 2017 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 75k miles in good condition with diesel ($21,674) and with V8 ($19,299). Not that I ever plan to resale mine, lol.

Twenty or Thirty years from now the JT is going to be a real classic, much like a classic Bronco, Camaro, or Jimmy. This will be one you will always regret selling.
Sponsored