Diesel vs gas

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Twenty or Thirty years from now the JT is going to be a real classic, much like a classic Bronco, Camaro, or Jimmy. This will be one you will always regret selling.
This is going to be one I may regret never buying! Found myself surfing original Gladiator Trucks restored today. Much cheaper, exactly what I want, and immediately available. I've got a very happy plan B (pretty soon to be plan A). Sorry, wrong thread again. I've just been in line for FOURTEEN years and now told to wait longer because someone in marketing is getting cute.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Followed this debate on numerous forums pertaining to midsize and 1500 diesel trucks. I don't recall seeing anyone in this discussion mention the higher resale of a diesel factored in total ownership costs. A diesel will have higher resale, as the there are fewer available, and they have a reputation for durability (I know that is debatable regarding the VW Motori). However, when comparing to the Colorado, Ram 1500, and JGC, those with diesels all resale for a higher price than the V6 option. I would say if selling by owner, which typically brings a higher return, the diesel is significantly easier to resale as there is a specific group of buyers searching only for used diesels. So with that said, a $4500 premium over the V6, i'd count on getting 2k back. I did a KBB comparison of a 2017 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 75k miles in good condition with diesel ($21,674) and with V8 ($19,299). Not that I ever plan to resale mine, lol.

Twenty or Thirty years from now the JT is going to be a real classic, much like a classic Bronco, Camaro, or Jimmy. This will be one you will always regret selling.
i think the guy that's selling his scrambler to buy a JT will regret it, 20-30 years from now.

Hey i just realized my 89 civic SI will be 30 this year.......still probably only worth $1500 bucks. =(

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
i think the guy that's selling his scrambler to buy a JT will regret it, 20-30 years from now.

Hey i just realized my 89 civic SI will be 30 this year.......still probably only worth $1500 bucks. =(
Civic rwd I assume? Make it a drift car.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Civic rwd I assume? Make it a drift car.
Nope FWD. Use to autox it. i'm never selling it. Not worth selling so i'll hang on to it forever. It'll be my mostly stock old car show car. Could also be the car i teach my kids to drive stick on.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Okay, I've ready about 4 threads end to end now on this diesel debate.
I've never owned a diesel car. All my cars are ridiculously fast upto now (10-13 second cars) and even though I know the Jeep isn't meant to be a fast vehicle, all things being the same, I prefer to have faster acceleration to 60 on anything I drive. My question is, is the diesel going to be faster than the gas motor to 60 or 100 or will they be about the same? What about with available mods? I'm fully willing to void the warranty to get good acceleration and I wonder which motor is likely to have better mods out in that regard.

Sponsored

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
The diesel might possibly be slightly faster off the line, but the gasser would over take it pretty quickly. A diesels shining star is its low end torque. Its drawback in racing is all that torque drops off relatively low into the rpm range. Now, there is a pretty big diesel aftermarket community, however, there are also products for the gasser already out that will give a pretty substantial boost to performance. My best recommendation for you would be to get the Pentastar and either turbo or supercharge it. With the diesel you can always put a bigger blower on it, tune it, and delete it, but at the end of the day you will dump just as much money, if not more so,as the Pentastar with a turbo or supercharger. Plus, all of that stuff done to get performance out of a diesel will make it not street legal. Lastly. the diesel will have a mark up. No one knows exactly what it will be, but I would bet it will be at minimum a 4k up-charge over the Pentastar.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Throw about $5,000 at the 3.6L and you'll have as fast a JT as there is anywhere.
(Just don't get all butt-hurt when a Mustang passes you like you're standing still)

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I really think the Jeep dropped the ball on the diesel in the JT and the JL when they chose to stick with electric fans. Sure they save a little bit of power but it is negligible when replaced with the viscous fan clutch like the 3.0 Ford engine has. If you don't know how the viscous fan clutch works it has a fluid in it that reacts to the signal sent from the computer to engage the fan. Old school mechanical fans move 3-4 times the amount of air that electric ones do. I had an electric setup on my ZJ and I really liked the performance while sitting in traffic but when I hooked the trailer up she always ran too hot. I went back to the original mechanical fan and while sitting in traffic my AC isn't as efficient but when I tow it stays much lower in the normal range. Before anyone points out that at speed the fan doesn't do the air moving your forward motion does I will say that as the fan turns, especially when engaged, it creates an area of low pressure behind the radiator allowing more air to be forced through the radiator.

When towing a very heavy load (26,000 gooseneck) my 6.4 Powerstroke in the F350 would engage the fan on long inclines. As soon as I composed myself from the roar of the fan I could watch the temps go down on the gauge. If you have never heard a viscous fan clutch engage, trust me, it is an instantaneous roar that startles you even when you are expecting it. Cummins went that rout too on their small diesel. And the big over the road trucks have a switch in the cab so they can engage the fan manually. I'm sure you have been beside a big rig in traffic and heard their fan roar when they are engaged.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I really think the Jeep dropped the ball on the diesel in the JT and the JL when they chose to stick with electric fans. Sure they save a little bit of power but it is negligible when replaced with the viscous fan clutch like the 3.0 Ford engine has...
OK I'll bite: how do you know what kind of fan setup the 3.0L will have, when we're nearly a year away from production?
Not arguing for or against your point, it just seems like something that would be brought up after the fact, not months before?

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Just an assumption that it will be the same basic geometry as the EcoDiesel in Ram and all of the other Jeep products. So in a direct answer my comment is based solely on FCA history and not backed up by any hard facts.

Think of it as a pricing thread comment

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
The dance of the assuminators...

cwawy.gif
Sponsored