Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Getting a bit worried. The 3.6 is mostly pretty stout and im getting a decent amount of feedback to steer clear of the ED. Hate to trade in a good truck for something that might sit in a shop for days on end without replacement DEF parts (known issue)
I've had 4 Pentastars and 2 EcoDiesels. I can honestly say that for every 3rd Gen EcoDiesel that has had an issue for a member of a forum, there are two Pentastars that have had valve/cam issues. It's really a toss up. Anything can break.

I understand the concern though, diesel stuff ain't cheap if it's out of warranty.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I've had 4 Pentastars and 2 EcoDiesels. I can honestly say that for every 3rd Gen EcoDiesel that has had an issue for a member of a forum, there are two Pentastars that have had valve/cam issues. It's really a toss up. Anything can break.

I understand the concern though, diesel stuff ain't cheap if it's out of warranty.
Lol, no way, not to mention how many Pentastar powered Jeeps sit at dealerships for months because they have no idea how to fix it?

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Internet forums showcase pretty much two things:
1) look at my awesome mods!
2) my craps broke! Help!

Every model/trim/engine/configuration has its issues.
No hard facts, but I’d imagine the failure rate is about the same from gas vs diesel perspective.

Go with your gut, enjoy, don’t play the what if game.

Either way, you’re gettin’ a glady bra! ;)

PS diesel JT’s post fastest 0-60, quarter mile, and faster acceleration for passing.
Braking has been recorded at 4’ shorter than the gasser.

cabin noise is reportedly less in the diesel than gasser. Likely due to lower revving and added insulation on the firewall.

Last edited:

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager

That's a valid statement but its also worth noting there are probably 10 times as many pentastar motors as ecodiesels out there.

For the record I did have failure/warranty issues with def system and a couple other items...... that wasn't my ultimate reason for getting rid of the ED. I agree defective parts are just part of the deal and it happens to every manufacturer. The cooling issues and lack of trust in the longevity of the emmissions and CEL's were the deal breaker for me. Probably worth saying also, that imo I think the ED would be phenomenal motor without the emissions crap which would also help with the cooling problems but obviously the emissions stuff can't be legally bypassed so it unfortunately can't be eliminated from the equation...
Sponsored