Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
This sounds stupid but after a really dusty trail ride i decided to inspect air filter--tried to remove it but couldn't.

Per manual i loosened the 4 screws, only one of them came out, the others apparently stay in no matter how much you unscrew them.

I was not able to remove cover, only was able to lift up one side enough to get a tiny glimpse inside.

I've never had a problem before checking air filter, with any other vehicle.

Anyone else with this problem??
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
This sounds stupid but after a really dusty trail ride i decided to inspect air filter--tried to remove it but couldn't.

Per manual i loosened the 4 screws, only one of them came out, the others apparently stay in no matter how much you unscrew them.

I was not able to remove cover, only was able to lift up one side enough to get a tiny glimpse inside.

I've never had a problem before checking air filter, with any other vehicle.

Anyone else with this problem??
It's a tight fit and takes a little work to get it off. Loosen the hose clamp and that will help. I had mine off a few times while installing lights and a winch.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I've taken mine off twice installing a K&N filter (first filter was the wrong one). Didn't have too much trouble with it. If the 4 bolts get loose, the cover should lift up. Threads aren't stripped are they?

OP
OP
guntrust

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
I've taken mine off twice installing a K&N filter (first filter was the wrong one). Didn't have too much trouble with it. If the 4 bolts get loose, the cover should lift up. Threads aren't stripped are they?
I'll try again soon, and loosen hose clamp as Bill suggested. Guess i didn't try hard enough as i was worried i'd break something. Thank you

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'll try again soon, and loosen hose clamp as Bill suggested. Guess i didn't try hard enough as i was worried i'd break something. Thank you
If you had applied to much down pressure (using a screwdriver) you may have popped the nutzert out of the filter. If so you may need to apply upward pressure on the screw with a pair of needle nose pliers while you try removing the fastener (always best to use a socket and ratchet)

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
They have an unnecessarily tight fit because they want you get frustrated and pay the dealership to do it.

If you remove the 4 screws until you start feeling them click, they are supposed to be somewhat captured and only come out if you pull up while unscrewing where they will bite into the top cover. If you can separate the two halves, you'll see whether they clear the bottom cover.

Easiest way to do it is to pull the two 10mm bolts holding the tube to the radiator support and that should give you enough slack to pull the cover up. If you unscrew the hose clamp, it will definitely give you enough clearance to pull the top of the airbox off easily. Alternatively, you can pull the connector for the airflow sensor and pull the tube off the throttle body if you want to just pull the whole assembly.

Just be careful reassembling as was mentioned... if you push too hard, you'll push the nut out the bottom and you'll have to pull the lower cover (though easy... one bolt and then it just pulls upward).
Sponsored