Sponsored

37-inch spare tire solution for running around town and easy trails?

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
37-inch spare tire solution for running around town and easy trails?

I was looking for a thread to post this but see nothing this specific in the other threads.

1. I plan to run 37's and use the factory 33-inch as a spare. If I get a flat tire that can’t be plugged immediately, I could put the 33 on the front right axle and then address the flat tire accordingly, keeping the front axle unlocked and having the smaller tire on the front axle disconnect side should get me back home from running around town or to a tire shop without driveline issues, just keep my speed under 50mph on pavement.

2. I imagine you could also drive out of a trail in 3-wheel drive; i.e. both axles locked but disconnecting the FAD actuator, thus keeping the smaller spare tire free on the front right axle while still sending power to the front left. I wonder if the jeep electronics would cause an issue with this approach? And then limp home as described above.

Obviously, for moderate or harder wheeling or not wheeling close to home, I would keep a 37 in the garage and toss it in the bed before leaving the house.

Any thoughts? Has anyone ever run a smaller spare on their jeep to get home or limp off the trail? I'm sure idea #1 will be good for running around town, and possibly easy trails close to home if idea #2 will work (assuming I ran out of plugs or tore a sidewall open).

With running 37’s and a smaller spare, would it be worth the extra $250 to purchase a 35-inch spare tire to keep under the bed instead of the 33? Or I could put that $250 towards on-board air and plugs instead. I'm going to buy 5x 37 inch tires, I just don't want to drag the spare 37 around in the bed of the truck.

Also… I don't like the bumper mounted spare tire carrier idea as it would make the truck look even longer, interfere with departure angles, and cost another $1000. You would also need a solution for the 3rd brake light and backup camera (something like the JL brake light and camera setup - more money to spend).

According to Jeep, up to a 35 will fit under the bed due to the rear diff/track bar clearance (and possibly tow hitch and frame rails). I wouldn't want to cut anything, but I would like to see someone try stuffing a 37 there, though I would be concerned with dragging the 2-inch wider tire when coming down the trail.
Sponsored

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
I know what you mean. I'm thinking about getting 37s as well.

One option is to get a bed mount. I know you say you don't want to drag your spare in your bed but this way it is stood up so it takes up not as much space as throwing back there (not much space in general when stood like this) and stays in place. Some land rover pickups have mounts like this.
14451871_0.jpg

images (2).jpeg

Another option is to mount on your hood, this will however obstruct your view. I wouldn't do this personally. Also used on some land rover pickups.
s-l1600.jpg

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Not sure I'd fuss with all of that. Do it right and carry the correct size spare tire.

I'm fairly certain there's not 38" of room between the wheel well and front of bed corner in a Gladiator.

Also running a tire on the hood is novel but you've got to not only reinforce the hood but find a super skinny spare. Many LR Series owners with tires on the hood hate it from a lost visibility perspective.

These will be your options:

1) Somehow modify the rear under carriage spare tire area on the Gladiator. A 35" already fits stock, so hopefully you can fit the spare with minimal effort. As long as the chassis rails aren't the obstruction, anything is possible. Could be hard to reach and it will get dragged over everything off-road.

2) Rear bumper with swing away tire carrier. Won't be cheap and further lengthens an already long vehicle. Some loss of visibility at back end of truck. Easy access when you need the spare. Rear backup camera a necessity. But also gives you ability to carry extra fuel and tools and not take up bed space.

3) Baja truck style spare tire mounted to bed floor. But defeats the purpose of having a truck if you are going to take up 38" out of a 60" bed for the spare tire...

4) Custom fab a spare tire mount bracket to secure the spare against the front wall of the bed. You'll lose a lot of rear visibility as the tire sits on the bed floor...

5) Roof rack mount. This throws off your center of gravity. Not the easiest to reach or secure.

I'm probably going with #2 at some point. Have one now and it's the best modification $$ I ever spent.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Interested to see where this goes. I had some similar thoughts, but I think my knowledge on the subject is not quiet as advanced as yours. Would love to hear some opinions of those that truly have a more advanced knowledge of the drivetrain and what harm can be done for a temporary limp home if needed on a smaller tire.

Sponsored

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU
A good tire repair kit and air pump will work in most cases. I for one will most likely mount a 37" at the top of the bed below the rear window (similar to current Wrangler). Only mount the 5th wheel when traveling/4 wheeling and rely on tire repair kit for day-to-day.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
A good tire repair kit and air pump will work in most cases. I for one will most likely mount a 37" at the top of the bed below the rear window (similar to current Wrangler). Only mount the 5th wheel when traveling/4 wheeling and rely on tire repair kit for day-to-day.
Except for me every time (5 times) I've had a flat with a Jeep its been a side wall gash. Didn't matter if I was on road or off.
I carry tire plugs, but unfortunately a spare is required. I may do the 35 " tire for around town and the 37" for trips/trails.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I’m glad this topic came up, because I’m thinking about it too.

Let me tell you one thing. A spare 37x12.5 is huge. Much bigger and heavier than you would think when not mounted to your axels.

I got a spare tire mount for my JK roof rack and now understand why the limit was 33”, if I recall. After managing somehow to get it on my roof one time, I realized how crazy it was and never tried again.

That’s why all the pictures above are deceiving... those are tiny and thin spares... a 37x12.5 cannot be put on the hood or roof, and in the bed of a Gladiator would take a lot of the space.

I like the idea of putting it in the bed only when really needed, but I hope some vendor figures out how to carry it under the bed in a way that is functional off-road. I imagine it also affects the rear shock rating you choose.

If it cannot be used under the bed then day to day I would probably not carry a spare. I’ve been running 37s for 10 years without a spare (well spare at home in my shed) and never had a problem (knock on wood)... the mud terrain have really thick walls and I’ve been rubbing them on sharp curbs all the time.

As you can see below I don’t like to carry a spare on the tailgate of a JK either... I love the visibility and access to back without it. So the idea that it can be under on a Gladiator is awesome!!!

B054C75D-F19B-4220-934E-8DAB10B16B3A.jpeg

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not sure I'd fuss with all of that. Do it right and carry the correct size spare tire.

I'm fairly certain there's not 38" of room between the wheel well and front of bed corner in a Gladiator.

Also running a tire on the hood is novel but you've got to not only reinforce the hood but find a super skinny spare. Many LR Series owners with tires on the hood hate it from a lost visibility perspective.

These will be your options:

1) Somehow modify the rear under carriage spare tire area on the Gladiator. A 35" already fits stock, so hopefully you can fit the spare with minimal effort. As long as the chassis rails aren't the obstruction, anything is possible. Could be hard to reach and it will get dragged over everything off-road.

2) Rear bumper with swing away tire carrier. Won't be cheap and further lengthens an already long vehicle. Some loss of visibility at back end of truck. Easy access when you need the spare. Rear backup camera a necessity. But also gives you ability to carry extra fuel and tools and not take up bed space.

3) Baja truck style spare tire mounted to bed floor. But defeats the purpose of having a truck if you are going to take up 38" out of a 60" bed for the spare tire...

4) Custom fab a spare tire mount bracket to secure the spare against the front wall of the bed. You'll lose a lot of rear visibility as the tire sits on the bed floor...

5) Roof rack mount. This throws off your center of gravity. Not the easiest to reach or secure.

I'm probably going with #2 at some point. Have one now and it's the best modification $$ I ever spent.
If you look under the JT it looks like the exhaust and rear axle and other parts are in the way. So it would be difficult to put a mount down there.
2020-Jeep-Gladiator-.jpg

Trucks that can't fit the mount between front and wheel well tend to have it between rear and wheel well.
The amount of space the baja carrier takes up because of the way it sits in the bed makes getting a pickup almost useless.
Roof rack is a good one, I forgot about that one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeepguy225

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
My plans are to run the spare mounted similar to what AEV did on the tray bed rams they built.
I was thinking about that, it still takes bed space and blocks the rear view mirror but will get the job done. I have to think things thru really well before I drill mounting holes or cut anything this time. My old TJ wasn't so lucky when it came to my drilling and cutting. lol.

OP
OP
jeepguy225

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
I know what you mean. I'm thinking about getting 37s as well.

One option is to get a bed mount. I know you say you don't want to drag your spare in your bed but this way it is stood up so it takes up not as much space as throwing back there (not much space in general when stood like this) and stays in place. Some land rover pickups have mounts like this.

Another option is to mount on your hood, this will however obstruct your view. I wouldn't do this personally. Also used on some land rover pickups.
Thanks. I saw that pic on another thread, but now that I think about it, mounting the tire parallel with the bedside instead of the cab, would really cut down on the loss of rear visibility. I would need a tire mount that can be easily removed for home depot tips. With a bed packed full of camping gear, I may just be able to use the tie-down points along the bed rails instead of a permanent bed mount, possibly make a simple frame/cradle for it.

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks. I saw that pic on another thread, but now that I think about it, mounting the tire parallel with the bedside instead of the cab, would really cut down on the loss of rear visibility. I would need a tire mount that can be easily removed for home depot tips. With a bed packed full of camping gear, I may just be able to use the tie-down points along the bed rails instead of a permanent bed mount, possibly make a simple frame/cradle for it.
The way these things mount it wouldn't be hard to remove.
51F42jKN5LL.jpg

OP
OP
jeepguy225

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
My two discussion points are: 1. Limping home or off a local (easy) trail with a smaller spare tire? and 2. If I run 37's, should I limp home on the 33 or spend the extra $250 for a 35 inch? Same goes for guys wanting 38's or 40's. Do they run around town without a spare or use the a 33 or 35 in a bind.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
with that spare out from underneath it s a perfect spot for a long range tank for those long outback trips
Sponsored