Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
The 392 steering wheel is the same as the Mojave steering wheel, with the possible exception of the harness inside, and the obvious exception of the paddles being installed. The cutouts on the back of the Mojave wheel are exactly the same shape so it should work.

I’ve been meaning to do this mod since before my Mojave delivered but I just haven’t gotten around to pulling the airbag to check the wiring harness yet.
I haven't seen the Mojave wheel in person so I cannot confirm whether or not they are the same. The part number is different. The 392 wheel has different-sized switch pockets than my standard factory wheel, I suspect the paddle gear housing is larger but I won't know for sure until I receive it.
Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
I haven't seen the Mojave wheel in person so I cannot confirm whether or not they are the same. The part number is different. The 392 wheel has different-sized switch pockets than my standard factory wheel, I suspect the paddle gear housing is larger but I won't know for sure until I receive it.

Actually, it turns out I was wrong. The back of the Mojave wheel is not the same as the back of the 392.

Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit 4D0C8D42-9076-4D16-A96B-A262E3A618E9

This disappoints me a lot. I really want paddle shifters, but I don’t want to replace my orange stitched steering wheel for a bronze stitched wheel,especially when they’re nearly identical otherwise.

Edit: Looking more closely at your pictures it appears the inside of the steering wheel is basically foam. I wonder if I could do some careful surgery to make the openings in my Mojave wheel fit the paddle shifters. I guess I should probably wait until someone confirms they work in our JTs before I spend the time and money, and potentially ruin my steering wheel.

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
Actually, it turns out I was wrong. The back of the Mojave wheel is not the same as the back of the 392.

This disappoints me a lot. I really want paddle shifters, but I don’t want to replace my orange stitched steering wheel for a bronze stitched wheel,especially when they’re nearly identical otherwise.

Edit: Looking more closely at your pictures it appears the inside of the steering wheel is basically foam. I wonder if I could do some careful surgery to make the openings in my Mojave wheel fit the paddle shifters. I guess I should probably wait until someone confirms they work in our JTs before I spend the time and money, and potentially ruin my steering wheel.
Thanks for checking and reporting the results. I would hate for you or someone else to dive in to find out the parts weren't compatible. I have done that more times than I care to admit.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thanks for checking and reporting the results. I would hate for you or someone else to dive in to find out the parts weren't compatible. I have done that more times than I care to admit.
I have multiple boxes of such failed attempts in my garage.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Has anyone contacted Z-automotive. I dove a little deeper into the paddles, and Challenger guys with the same drivetrain doing the same swap had to have the paddle menu activated. If no one has bugged Z automotive yet I can get the ball rolling. May be able to do ot qith the JScan app. Does anyone have a snap shot of the TCM and BCM configuration screens?

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Has anyone contacted Z-automotive. I dove a little deeper into the paddles, and Challenger guys with the same drivetrain doing the same swap had to have the paddle menu activated. If no one has bugged Z automotive yet I can get the ball rolling. May be able to do ot qith the JScan app. Does anyone have a snap shot of the TCM and BCM configuration screens?
I don’t have a tazer and thus haven’t contacted Z Automotive, but I did find the related settings in AlfaOBD a while back, which means they should be changeable in JScan as well. I’ll find my notes later and post them up here.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just fired off an email. I believe Joe (from Z-automotive) has a 392 so hopefully he is onboard!

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon Launch Edition Granite Crystal
Occupation
Self employed
I have been contemplating retrofitting the Mojave steering wheel for a while since it is much thicker. Additionally, I have wanted paddle shifters since first purchasing the Jeep to augment the tuned shift points for towing or other purposes. The paddle shifters are more to fulfill a habit than a necessity.

I was intrigued by the 392 wheel and shifters so I took the plunge. The paddle shifters should arrive next week but I have installed the steering wheel and new wiring harness. The clockspring connector had all of the necessary pins, so I hope the adaptation will be as simple as coding the option at this point.

The new steering wheel is awesome! The increased thickness is a major improvement. The button pockets on the rear of the steering wheel are shaped slightly differently than my factory wheel. I assume this is because the switch housing is larger. I will confirm this once the shifters arrive, if this is the case the non-392 wheel will not accept the paddle shifters. Other than the different switch pockets, I observed no other compatibility issues.

I have photos to help share the differences, I always feel like I should have taken more.

The part numbers I used are:

Paddle Shifters: I don't know if these are all I need yet, the parts diagrams are difficult to interpret.
68487852AAPaddle Down Switch Right
68487853AAPaddle Down Switch Left

Steering Wheel: 7FD41TX7AA
Steering Wheel Wiring: 68531086AA

aaaaah my savior i'm thinking about that and now finally a genius did it. cant wait to see if paddle shifter works and how you did it . Bravo

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
Quick update. Paddles are installed, the switch housing is larger than just the standard radio button housing but with an exact knife and patience, I think you could trim the dense foam to make the housing fit in a stock wheel.

Paddles don't work simply by plugging them in. I will dig into the alfaOBD settings this evening and report back soon with photos.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you need assistance let me know I would ve happy to help

Reactions: DC3
OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
I love paddle shifters! It's done.

I set the options with alfaobd and the paddle shifters work as intended. This was the first time I used alfaobd so it took a little time to get accustomed, especially with my short patience.

Activating the paddle shifter option made the shifters functional either in manual mode or regular drive mode.

While in alfaobd I made a few other changes and will report back with cleaned up instructions. I also have a few small covers to add to the parts list.

The paddle shifter assembly is larger than the standard radio switch assembly but the paddle shifters could possibly fit in a standard steering wheel with a sharp knife and steady hand.

Now I want the trans shifts more snappy and responsive... hint... hint... to a certain special someone. ;)

Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit 20220118_143249

Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit 20220118_143252
Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit 20220118_143406
Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit 20220118_143409
Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit 20220118_143341

friskeljr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Air Force
I love paddle shifters! It's done.

I set the options with alfaobd and the paddle shifters work as intended. This was the first time I used alfaobd so it took a little time to get accustomed, especially with my short patience.

Activating the paddle shifter option made the shifters functional either in manual mode or regular drive mode.

While in alfaobd I made a few other changes and will report back with cleaned up instructions. I also have a few small covers to add to the parts list.

The paddle shifter assembly is larger than the standard radio switch assembly but the paddle shifters could possibly fit in a standard steering wheel with a sharp knife and steady hand.

Now I want the trans shifts more snappy and responsive... hint... hint... to a certain special someone. ;)

is the alfaobd an app like jscann?

Reactions: DC3

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am doing this!!! Can you send me details on the tool you used. My shifts execute at 40ms but I can try narrowing it up and see what happens.
Sponsored