Sponsored

392 wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33296307/jeep-wrangler-v-8-rubicon-392-concept-revealed/

Check out the poll at the end. Almost 80% of people are more interested in a V8 powered Wrangler than a Bronco. If this thing would be under $80,000 then it would crush Bronco sells. I'm with you @Alabama Mud Machine where's our V8 for our JTs at. It's obvious that FCA feels like someone looking in that market would be more interested in a Wrangler than a JT. I don't see Broncos hurting JT sells, but we will see how if it takes away Wrangler sells any.
That poll has to be wrong...A bunch of people on here say V8’s are “outdated” and “obsolete”, because “technology” and thAt V6 engines are “just as capable”......... :angel::angel::angel:

If that were the case, why do 80% of people want a V8 JT over a new Bronco. Face it folks, a V8 is Americana. And it will always be king over a V6. :like:
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If they drop a Hemi in a JT Or JL they got to make it affordable or it's not going to matter. Like it's not going to sway me to buy one if the sticker is $100,000 plus, I can spend my money on something else and would. The way I look at it as a consumer is if they can put a Hemi in a Ram, Grand Cherokee, and make it affordable then they can do it in a JL or JT.
I can put a 6.4 Hemi in mine, and still be under $70K invested. They’re going to have to come up with an affordable V8 option...Under $75K with the 6.4...Even less with the 5.7.

Last edited:

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
If they drop a Hemi in a JT Or JL they got to make it affordable or it's not going to matter. Like it's not going to sway me to buy one if the sticker is $100,000 plus, I can spend my money on something else and would. The way I look at it as a consumer is if they can put a Hemi in a Ram, Grand Cherokee, and make it affordable then they can do it in a JL or JT.
I think they've had the Hemi in their back pocket for some time, waiting for a time like this when they needed it.

The 392 is probably a stopgap until the I6 is ready, because they need something NOW to counter Ford.

I think it will probably be expensive, and they'll milk the big spenders as long as possible.

If the I6 is delayed and/or they don't want to try to squeeze more power from the 2.0, they can add the 5.7 at a more affordable tier later.

Counter the 2.7, hold the line, and mete out other options as needed. At least that's how I could see their strategy working.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Automakers don't "wait and see" nor is losing profits ever an option as far as they're concerned. The time is now if Jeep wants to battle the Bronco.
Profits wasn't the right word to use I agree companies don't wait to lose profits. What I was saying is it'll cost FCA R&D to put the hemi in since Jeep engineers said v8 will fit in the current platform, but leaves no room for collision energy absorption. Therefore, wouldn't past crash test. Unless they were lying about that, they would have to redesign the current platform which will incur additional cost. Jeep mid refresh won't happen till 2022. I don't think they'll add the v8 before then.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nannook of the north

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
I think they've had the Hemi in their back pocket for some time, waiting for a time like this when they needed it.

The 392 is probably a stopgap until the I6 is ready, because they need something NOW to counter Ford.

I think it will probably be expensive, and they'll milk the big spenders as long as possible.

If the I6 is delayed and/or they don't want to try to squeeze more power from the 2.0, they can add the 5.7 at a more affordable tier later.

Counter the 2.7, hold the line, and mete out other options as needed. At least that's how I could see their strategy working.
Straight 6?

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Straight 6?
Yeah.

They're developing a new I6, based off the 2.0l. Was expected to debut in the Wagoneer or possibly the next GC.

It has a goal of being no more than 3 inches longer than the 2.4l Tigershark engine.

Supposedly 3.0l, which makes sense if it's based on the 2.0l, and also to avoid European taxes on displacements over 3.0.

Swayze

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I want those half doors!!!
I know, I was like V8 that’s cool, but like I’m probably not trading in my JT any time soon, but those doors. Like take my money, what they aren’t painted? Take more money FCA or stalagmite, whatever you call yourself now...

OP
OP
Nannook of the north

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
Yeah.

They're developing a new I6, based off the 2.0l. Was expected to debut in the Wagoneer or possibly the next GC.

It has a goal of being no more than 3 inches longer than the 2.4l Tigershark engine.

Supposedly 3.0l, which makes sense if it's based on the 2.0l, and also to avoid European taxes on displacements over 3.0.
Sweet

Sponsored

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
this should have been an announcement and not another concept where no one knows if and when it will ever happen

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
So, Jeep ripped-off what we've been saying this whole time, but put it all in a Wrangler... What a joke.

They need to put it in the JTR. And offer us discounts for being forced with only 1 engine option.

If they offered to just install the 6.4 Hemi drop-in conversion in our current JT vehicles for a big discount and we keep our full warranty, I'd be ok with that, too.

JL is always going to get the cool new stuff first before it filters down to the JT if at all.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
JL is always going to get the cool new stuff first before it filters down to the JT if at all.
It only makes sense that the vehicle that can actually tow 7,000 lbs. would get the more powerful engine options first (5.7 & 6.4)... But I guess Jeep engineers work on the Common Core Education system. So everything is ass-backwards to them, if it even adds up at all.

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
It only makes sense that the vehicle that can actually tow 7,000 lbs. would get the more powerful engine options first (5.7 & 6.4)... But I guess Jeep engineers work on the Common Core Education system. So everything is ass-backwards to them, if it even adds up at all.
I wish that were the case. Offer V8 options and I can stand to lose a couple grand terminating my lease early.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I am with you, it makes sense from a technical perspective to put in the Gladiator first.

The problem is a numbers game and depending on how you want to calculate sales numbers with the Gladiator launching in a partial model year 2019 and with COVID impacting 2020 YTD sales, the JL sells 3 to 4 times the Gladiator does. You can see where the bean counters are going to throw that 392 HEMI first and then flush out if it make financial sense for them to put it in the Gladiator.
Sponsored