Sponsored

4300 lbs w/ 3.87 standard tow package?

Deleted member 30519

Why does my 6spd have the most In payload? I never realized this but that makes happy seeing I never tow anything but utilitize the bed frequently.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, did I F up buying this Gladiator?.. Since buying it a year ago, I have this dream of retiring in an RV, either small motorhome or a tow behind with the Jeep..The Airstream is fully "loaded" at 4300lbs, (so they say..water, fuel, oil, excess shit) and yes, need to be mobile on a daily basis if I decide to do this..So even if I had the max tow package (7650lbs), you think the Gladiator would be up for the daily driving like this?..and to think I traded in a '17 Ram for this!..:)
Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 6.11.29 AM.png
If you had the max tow - yes, I'd not be TOO concerned.........

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Why does my 6spd have the most In payload? I never realized this but that makes happy seeing I never tow anything but utilitize the bed frequently.
Weight of the automatic compared to the stick is part of it. If you take two absolutely identical trucks - identical in every single way, and stick a transmission that weighs say 22 pounds more, you lose 22 pounds payload.
JUST TOSSING NUMBERS, not saying that's the whole difference but you do lose a whopping 22 pounds for the auto LOL
But I am a bit wondering about why a huge difference of hundreds of pounds PAYLOAD for the stick vs auto.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
So 4300 is gross trailer weight, empty its 3500. Even without the std tow package, you're rated to pull that trailer loaded to capacity. The aerodynamics are decent. If you're dead set on this trailer, you're legal and within any warranty concerns. If you're planning to tow often, I'd put in rear airbags regardless. If you decide the truck doesn't work for the job, you're out nothing more, but you might well find it satisfactory. Jeep rates the Gladiator to pull 1700lb more than your trailer with 3.73 gears.
That said, if your plan involves as much towing as not, and you really like the Gladiator for size, features, etc, I would give 4.88 (or even 5.13 gears if you ever want to go over 33's) gears a serious thought.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Weight of the automatic compared to the stick is part of it. If you take two absolutely identical trucks - identical in every single way, and stick a transmission that weighs say 22 pounds more, you lose 22 pounds payload.
JUST TOSSING NUMBERS, not saying that's the whole difference but you do lose a whopping 22 pounds for the auto LOL
But I am a bit wondering about why a huge difference of hundreds of pounds PAYLOAD for the stick vs auto.
Best I can tell, the MT Sport S comes with max-tow springs and higher GVW, but not when optioned with the std tow package.

Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have the standard tow package, auto trans and 3.87 gearing rated at 4500 lb max on my 2020 Sport S..Would that be adequate to tow an Airstream Basecamp (4300lb) while touring the country fulltime in retirement?..Of course I'd like to to tour the Rockies etc:..The dealer told me it would be $4k to convert to max tow package!..I'm just starting to research this so any help would be appreciated..
You're going to be just fine if you're at 4300 loaded. You're rated at 6000 (not 4500) with standard tow package and the 3.73's with the auto. If you find over time that you want some extra low end, just regear to 4.10's (assuming you still have stock tire size). Rear springs are irrelevant unless you're also loading the bed up heavy on top of your tongue weight. The only benefit of the rear springs in the max tow is that they handle the payload better, but that's with 1500 lbs on the rear. Even then, you could buy max tow rear springs for next to nothing if it was really a concern.

The only thing you'll want to do, regardless of which trim you have, is change the diff and engine fluids more frequently if you're towing a lot.

Sure your RAM would be a better tow vehicle, but your setup will be just fine. The only way you could have really screwed up this purchase is if you bought a manual trans and wanted to tow like that.

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
I think you will be just fine with a gear change, trailer brakes, and helper bags/weight distributing hitch honestly. Sure you will spend a ton of time in manual mode in the mountains, but the truck will get the job done.(just not over 65mph). I've towed a TON of stuff with different trucks and always match the vehicle to the load when applicable. The biggest thing you'll need to get used to in the truck(expecially in the mountains) will be, being okay with the motor actually revving until near the 4K marks on climbs. Learning how to use manual mode will be a life saver in these new ZF trannys.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You're going to be just fine if you're at 4300 loaded. You're rated at 6000 (not 4500) with standard tow package and the 3.73's with the auto. If you find over time that you want some extra low end, just regear to 4.10's (assuming you still have stock tire size). Rear springs are irrelevant unless you're also loading the bed up heavy on top of your tongue weight. The only benefit of the rear springs in the max tow is that they handle the payload better, but that's with 1500 lbs on the rear. Even then, you could buy max tow rear springs for next to nothing if it was really a concern.

The only thing you'll want to do, regardless of which trim you have, is change the diff and engine fluids more frequently if you're towing a lot.

Sure your RAM would be a better tow vehicle, but your setup will be just fine. The only way you could have really screwed up this purchase is if you bought a manual trans and wanted to tow like that.
That's what I did with my Overland - picked up a pair of max tow springs because I was concerned about the SPRINGS sagging and not handling the stuff I wanted the truck for. I didn't want to haul over 6,000 pounds of trailer or 1700 of payload, I simply wanted it to sit and ride better with the rated loads.
And looking over all the stats and specs I have on hand (limited as it is), I suspect he may be ok.
My concern with the gear ratio is that my own JT really struggles on hills and the transmission is in a constant state of changing gears. It hunts badly - that leads to heat. And I was pulling only about 1600 pounds - a flatbed, no wind resistance, no real load.
The gear ratio sucks.
Otherwise I was never concerned about the handling or safety or stability.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
That's what I did with my Overland - picked up a pair of max tow springs because I was concerned about the SPRINGS sagging and not handling the stuff I wanted the truck for. I didn't want to haul over 6,000 pounds of trailer or 1700 of payload, I simply wanted it to sit and ride better with the rated loads.
And looking over all the stats and specs I have on hand (limited as it is), I suspect he may be ok.
My concern with the gear ratio is that my own JT really struggles on hills and the transmission is in a constant state of changing gears. It hunts badly - that leads to heat. And I was pulling only about 1600 pounds - a flatbed, no wind resistance, no real load.
The gear ratio sucks.
Otherwise I was never concerned about the handling or safety or stability.
4.10's and manual mode on the trans is definitely the best solution there. Letting it hunt just means it needs to be forced to remain in the lower gear. That'll be easier on the trans and the engine.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I feel like based on what you are looking to do this could be possible with the right provisions in place. Are you running stock tires if you went bigger this could really destroy your chances of towing this.

Another thing is a weight distributing hitch will help to account for the weaker springs you have on your standard tow package. Trailer brakes will be critical, probably need to go with a good hard wired solution like redarc or the curt spectrum.

Mirrors will be a challenge. The JT mirrors suck for towing. I got some clip ons that are "ok" but installed a 3 camera system and it is so much better than what even true towing mirrors would do.

Sponsored

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
4.10's and manual mode on the trans is definitely the best solution there. Letting it hunt just means it needs to be forced to remain in the lower gear. That'll be easier on the trans and the engine.
Correct. I would even encourage those people who tow frequently to watch the trans temp gauge on big trips to actually KNOW if it’s heating up or if the cooling job is up to par. These things are built pretty decent. Obviously not a full size tow machine, but super capable. The ZF 8spd is ridiculously capable out of the box and can easily be put behind a much more powerful motor without needing modification.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Well i also think you'll be ok having seen this trailer set up. I assume it has brakes, you'll want to address that, for lots of towing as you have planned get a wired in brake controller that has good reviews and reputation. Assuming you keep the stock tires also.

And if you save up a bit for a re-gear, that will make a big difference. Not only in towing ease and comfort but also fuel mileage. Whatever tire size you think you'll end up with...gear for that. 4.10's up to 33" would be great.

swink55

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
First responder
So this might be a noob question already answered but I just got my JT a few weeks ago with the class 4 tow package, not max tow. The only difference seems to be 4.10s and the wider M220 axles. Has anyone towed 7650 with just the class 4. Without an addition of the brake controller I don’t see it being a major issue for relatively short tows

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
So this might be a noob question already answered but I just got my JT a few weeks ago with the class 4 tow package, not max tow. The only difference seems to be 4.10s and the wider M220 axles. Has anyone towed 7650 with just the class 4. Without an addition of the brake controller I don’t see it being a major issue for relatively short tows
I mean, I wouldn't recommend it for mountains or long hauls, but if you're on mostly flat ground for a short distance, I'm sure it'll be fine.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
True but the charts I find show that the stock Overland axle carriers won't take 4.10s, - which makes sense based on other differentials I've rebuilt. The pinion is larger, the ring gear thinner and the carrier won't work with the fact that the pinion is larger - the carrier ring gear mounting area has to be moved over to accommodate the larger pinion.
I'll have to see if I can find those charts again..........
Here's one example - shows I'm stuck with the 3.73.
I can't afford over 2 grand to swap carriers, too......

Jeep Gladiator 4300 lbs w/ 3.87 standard tow package? carrier-gear-ratio-breaks
Sponsored