Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
so did you do the work yourself?..This looks like a less expensive/better option than paying $4k at the dealership..
No i used 249 drive train in Houston it’s mostly all he does for 30 years. He used Yukon or Dana Spicer gears ⚙ both just as good as each other. I do all my own work except gears since you need special tools.
Sponsored

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
so did you do the work yourself?..This looks like a less expensive/better option than paying $4k at the dealership..
So you have the tow package just not Max tow ? That means you should have the HD cooling fan , alt. Battery & hitch. You can pull that base camp all over the country safely just have a good brake controller & weight distribution hitch. I also got some side mirror extensions , i also regeared mine to make it pull better. Anything you do will not increase your factory tow rating. But can help you tow easier.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to guess here that out the door means 'parts, labor, shop supplies, tax'.
But it's best he explain if that's what he meant.
I wonder if he's set up to check pinion depth, lash, clearance, mesh pattern, etc.

It's one thing to simply replace bearings, it's another to put in a gear set and then deal with setting the pinion, carrier preload and such.
That is unless technology and machining methods have been so perfected that every single gear will match any other gear perfectly and you never have to worry about mesh and such things.
Yes and this 44 has different specs than the JK Dana 44 So you have to read up on them. Out the door means just that. A friend of mine used the dealership because maybe they will warentee The gears. $2100 out the door for 4.88 gears

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No i used 249 drive train in Houston it’s mostly all he does for 30 years. He used Yukon or Dana Spicer gears ⚙ both just as good as each other. I do all my own work except gears since you need special tools.
And a hell of a lot of muscle. (I've never done Jeep/Dana or anything since about 1990) The old style using a crush sleeve - holy cow, hope you had a good breakfast. Some you need to either spread the case to get the carrier in with the right preload shims on either side - so you have the gear lash correct and preload correct all at the same time, or use some other tricks to accomplish it. Heavy work for sure. You can ruin things really fast if you mess up.
Second to the last one I did was a fellow who had been up to Kenosha and had a guy up there rebuild his limited slip differential - was supposedly good with differentials. My friend made it about 10 miles out of Kenosha and WHAM! The thing locked up and the pinion bearings were gone.
He got it back to home on a truck and swapped in a spare rear end and brought me his good one to rebuild.
The clutches in the limited slip were put together all wrong, in the wrong order, two were blue as heck and scored badly, and the pinion bearings, no rollers left at all. Oddly and luckily, not a single ding on the ring gear or pinion! Not even a nicked edge! I got him set up with new limited slip clutches (in the right order), set up everything according to hoyle, he picked it up and swapped it back in, that was 3 years ago, been fine (it's a mildly built 360 in front of the T5 transmission)
BUT - I'd rather NOT do them myself on anything other than older vehicles, 1990 or earlier.
These I won't touch. Unfortunately, around here we don't have "experts" in these differentials. I did some checking online in the past few days and not a single truck shop even talks about gearing, I had trouble finding any place that would even sell gears around here.
This is Iowa - if you want it, you won't find it here.

OP
OP

Mallai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S 2019 KTM 1290 R 2018 KTM 300 XC-W
So you have the tow package just not Max tow ? That means you should have the HD cooling fan , alt. Battery & hitch. You can pull that base camp all over the country safely just have a good brake controller & weight distribution hitch. I also got some side mirror extensions , i also regeared mine to make it pull better. Anything you do will not increase your factory tow rating. But can help you tow easier.
Yes, see my window sticker..

I'm thinking your right..Maybe a gear change would be the best way to go but even so, I could prolly get around the country with the standard S tow pkg and 3.73's..

Attachments

Sponsored

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, see my window sticker..

I'm thinking your right..Maybe a gear change would be the best way to go but even so, I could prolly get around the country with the standard S tow pkg and 3.73's..
Very good you shouldn’t have a problem towing even with 373 gears just not at 80 up the mountains lol enjoy your retirement

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
yes, as one mentioned, the gearing is hugely important for heat generation in several places, that should be quoted again

personally regardless of set up, options, etc. the jeep gladiator will never feel comfortable or happy towing 7000 lbs, nor will almost any other vehicle towing at max ratings, you get comfortable towing about half of whats rated, take that for what its worth

the difference in appropriate gearing, having now experienced it, is staggering in person, the ease with everything now is is very smile and comfort inducing

if you want that comfort, do the gears, having experience with towing with this jeep truck i can tell you that you're going to want to be around 2600 rpm pulling that trailer at your max intended highway speed, the programming of transmission etc. will work so much better and when your gears are close enough together the transmission can more easily and efficiently be where it needs to be rpm wise, efficiency goes up, heat goes down, i went from 3.73 to 4.88 on 37's and have gained 1/2 mpg over about 3000 km's, now averaging 16.5 mpg where i was 16 before, on top of that my acceleration is better than stock, and i can actually tow with comfort, cruise control is useful, empty on the highway is outstanding, i can start from a dig on steep incline like it's nothing etc.

so it's hard to explain the tangible benefits of having appropriate gearing or even to the stouter side of the tables, but it really is awesome, tow as is for awhile then re-gear to where you think you'd rather see the revs etc. and you'll see how big a difference it can make

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
yes, as one mentioned, the gearing is hugely important for heat generation in several places, that should be quoted again

personally regardless of set up, options, etc. the jeep gladiator will never feel comfortable or happy towing 7000 lbs, nor will almost any other vehicle towing at max ratings, you get comfortable towing about half of whats rated, take that for what its worth

the difference in appropriate gearing, having now experienced it, is staggering in person, the ease with everything now is is very smile and comfort inducing

if you want that comfort, do the gears, having experience with towing with this jeep truck i can tell you that you're going to want to be around 2600 rpm pulling that trailer at your max intended highway speed, the programming of transmission etc. will work so much better and when your gears are close enough together the transmission can more easily and efficiently be where it needs to be rpm wise, efficiency goes up, heat goes down, i went from 3.73 to 4.88 on 37's and have gained 1/2 mpg over about 3000 km's, now averaging 16.5 mpg where i was 16 before, on top of that my acceleration is better than stock, and i can actually tow with comfort, cruise control is useful, empty on the highway is outstanding, i can start from a dig on steep incline like it's nothing etc.

so it's hard to explain the tangible benefits of having appropriate gearing or even to the stouter side of the tables, but it really is awesome, tow as is for awhile then re-gear to where you think you'd rather see the revs etc. and you'll see how big a difference it can make
That’s what i have experienced i just drove to Florida and back a thousand mile trip on my 31st anniversary, with low winds and pretty flat lands i averaged 16.5 to 17.0 at 70 to 75 mph. 90% in 8th gear ⚙ overpasses it would shift to 7th or even 6th for only a second or two only big ones like bridges. She stayed around 2350rpm to 2450 most the whole trip 6th gear would bring 3000rpm. Just perfect and my tires are around 81# each wheel is 26# very happy.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what i have experienced i just drove to Florida and back a thousand mile trip on my 31st anniversary, with low winds and pretty flat lands i averaged 16.5 to 17.0 at 70 to 75 mph. 90% in 8th gear ⚙ overpasses it would shift to 7th or even 6th for only a second or two only big ones like bridges. She stayed around 2350rpm to 2450 most the whole trip 6th gear would bring 3000rpm. Just perfect and my tires are around 81# each wheel is 26# very happy.
Next trip to Iowa, you can stop by for a visit and we'll chat about plans for mine. You can look it over and make suggestions.
First is get the back back up, but I'm thinking of selling my WJ and concentrating on this JT.
No opportunity to tow this year the way things look but need to be ready for next year and it struggled bad with the empty trailer.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Texops, you’re 5.13’s on 37’s? With auto...what’s your 80 mph rpm? Curious the difference. I bet we will be close.

I’m 4.88’s on 37’s and 6-spd and top gear at 80 mph is 2700.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Your 80 at 2700 sounds like my SX4.
My 73 does about 3600 at 80.

Anyway, back on Jeep - I have wondered about re-gearing mine since towing sucks wiht the 3.73 gears and stock 33" tires. I figure I'll never see anything over 35s if I even ever do that. Getting into heavy pricy tires, then. Will stick with 33s for a while to come because I have 2 sets of 'em.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Texops, you’re 5.13’s on 37’s? With auto...what’s your 80 mph rpm? Curious the difference. I bet we will be close.

I’m 4.88’s on 37’s and 6-spd and top gear at 80 mph is 2700.
I was around 2600rpm at 80
Sponsored