Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Electrification across the product lines is a result of EPA mandates. It has little, if any, correlation to demographics, market research, and customer demand.
And yet the 4XE Wrangler is the most popular PHEV in the US.
Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No it's not.
We live in Iowa, have been through 2 winters. Still get close to 20 unless it's below 0, then it drops to the teens but we've never ever seen it as bad as "10".
And you can precondition the batteries if you leave it plugged in and do a remote start. It will use electric power to warm things up.
It's an amazing system.

I take it you have never really driven one?
Even in electric mode - a JLU 4xe will kick the 3.6's ass on takeoff. Crazy torque right off the line.
In electric, it's akin to a 3.6, but kick that pedal down and it's like a hemi.
I'm looking forward to a JTR Rubicon 4XE because:

1) we have 6.3 kW rooftop solar, that with the 36% rebates and now three years of use will be paid for in another three years. We do get about 310 days of sun in New Mexico. We pay about $1 per month to the utility for some fee. Right now we have over 2 gW in the bank (net metering).
2) we have a 2023 Toy. RAV4 Prime PHEV that is one of the nicest cars I've owned (driving since 1965) The RAV gets over 50 miles on a charge for town driving. So, yes like Bill I have personal experience with a PHEV
3) and yes most of my driving is in town, except for field projects, probably about 80% versus 20% or 95%/5% in the winter

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have been waiting for the 4XE, but as I did when the Gladiator first came out, I'll wait a couple of years to see how they are doing.
We bought a 2023 JLU 4xe.
Just a few days before purchase, I joined 4xe forums and checked other places for common complaints or problems.
Jeep really did a good job learning and making changes along the way.
I know that doesn't really help those 2021 and 2022 owners who were left Jeepless or with problems at that time, but it seemed Jeep reacted pretty fast for as complex as the technology and programming is. It's a lot of computer in there.
Our 2023 has had none of the issues others saw other than that transmission leak. That's not the fault of Jeep or it being a 4xe.
the only other thing was an update to take care of "possible" defrost issues in certain models and years. I have yet to see anyone actually see or experience the problem the update is for - perhaps there are some on the internet with that complaint, I've just not seen any yet, but we had ours flashed just to be sure since it's my wife's primary vehicle - and no way I wanted to chance non-working defrosters in Iowa.

I guess my point is - there was a learning curve for Jeep - they adapted, improved, moved forward really pretty quickly. But - that first model year..........

The Gladiator is proven as far as the truck itself goes, it will be interesting for sure.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We bought a 2023 JLU 4xe.
Just a few days before purchase, I joined 4xe forums and checked other places for common complaints or problems.
Jeep really did a good job learning and making changes along the way.
I know that doesn't really help those 2021 and 2022 owners who were left Jeepless or with problems at that time, but it seemed Jeep reacted pretty fast for as complex as the technology and programming is. It's a lot of computer in there.
Our 2023 has had none of the issues others saw other than that transmission leak. That's not the fault of Jeep or it being a 4xe.
the only other thing was an update to take care of "possible" defrost issues in certain models and years. I have yet to see anyone actually see or experience the problem the update is for - perhaps there are some on the internet with that complaint, I've just not seen any yet, but we had ours flashed just to be sure since it's my wife's primary vehicle - and no way I wanted to chance non-working defrosters in Iowa.

I guess my point is - there was a learning curve for Jeep - they adapted, improved, moved forward really pretty quickly. But - that first model year..........

The Gladiator is proven as far as the truck itself goes, it will be interesting for sure.
It'll be fun to watch.

JDK

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Tacoma, 2008 Shelby GT
Not using it as a truck though like hauling and towing hence why I said, unless as a truck. Plus once you're out of juice you are using the shit 2.0 which is bad in mpgs. I tend to buy things to use them for what they are for, not just for show.
I’m going to disagree on ‘useless’. Is it compromised, yes, but far from useless. I don’t need a ‘truck’ more than couple dozen times a year, but when I do, my Gladiator fits the task perfectly (hauling dirt, compost, mulch, trash, loaded down for a weekend long soccer tournament for the kids, etc.). And when I’m not, I can pull the top and doors. Win!

Anyone shopping a Gladiator and looking for hard working truck is just being foolish. But as a hybrid (pun intended) between a Jeep and a Truck it’s pretty perfect in my opinion.

As far as performance being an actual Hybrid, I’ll wait and see.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
But as a hybrid (pun intended) between a Jeep and a Truck it’s pretty perfect in my opinion.
Exactly why I went Gladiator. For years I had wanted a Wrangler for all sorts of illogical reasons. I no longer needed a full size truck. Trucks kept improving over the years - I went from 3/4 ton to 1/2 ton to the Gladiator. Fits my needs better and my illogical desires perfectly.

I can tow what I need to tow and haul what I need to haul and if the cargo is way too long, I have a trailer, otherwise, I have a Jeep.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yea it’s awesome. My wife is a teacher and the school is 4 miles away. So during the week she never uses gas. Even running errands around town is on all electric. When we have to go further for games on weekends we get mostly all electric until maybe the last 10 miles home will be on gas. We get roughly 29 miles to a full charge. Yes it does cost to charge. My electric bill has gone up $45/month since we got it. I’ll take that over the price of gas.
Our RAV 4 Prime is similar, but I have 6.3 kW solar, so our utility usage didn't go up much. In fact, we don't pay a utility bill except for about $1 per month for some required fee. The RAV gets 51 miles on a full charge, but of course freeway driving with the AC one cuts that quite a bit. Still around town it's free, and the solar with the 36% fed and state rebate will get it paid off in about 5 years, from installation. I will get a JTR 4XE a couple years after it's introduced.

Last edited:

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
Exactly why I went Gladiator. For years I had wanted a Wrangler for all sorts of illogical reasons. I no longer needed a full size truck. Trucks kept improving over the years - I went from 3/4 ton to 1/2 ton to the Gladiator. Fits my needs better and my illogical desires perfectly.

I can tow what I need to tow and haul what I need to haul and if the cargo is way too long, I have a trailer, otherwise, I have a Jeep.
For me the Wrangler was the most impractical vehicle for a family of 5. I proved that with my YJ and TJ, hahaha. Still i wanted a wrangler. Then in '04 the TJ unlimited came out and that's what i wanted (still do.) Jeep ruined it in '07 with the 4-door kleenex box. in 2018 the new body lines got me thinking the 4-doors looked nice and teh extra storage space was great but always wished they'd do a truck then the Gladiator came up. Perfect for me and the kiddos, beach and camping days just tossing crap in the back So easy and no thought. Save the mess from being inside! and I have a Jeep!!

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole

Bill, you're so the typical "lifestyle" purchaser. You need a truck to occasionally do truck things but you are secure enough in your self worth to not feel compelled to get a SuperDuty quad cab 8 ft bed diesel coal roller just to drive to the Piggly Wiggly. :P

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Just give me one with the 420HP inline 3.0 . The 5.7 V8 would probably get the same MPG. I don't want a hybrid anything. Every electric vehicle is coal fired to charge it. The Tesla Cybertruck is sitting on the lot here in So Cal.
There's like one, yes one, coal plant in all of CA. CA gets a little over 2% of electricity from coal power. Facts matter.

Sponsored

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
SCE buys the vast majority of the power off the grid. The grid has coal fired and natural gas in it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
2022 MidAmerican Energy delivered 100% renewable, no coal, etc.
The goal is to do that every year.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
SCE buys the vast majority of the power off the grid. The grid has coal fired and natural gas in it.
As stated, total coal is 2.xx% which include import. CA produce 0.13% from coal. Yes, miniscule. We do get a high percentage from natural gas. But it's way less than half at around 36%. Most of our energy is from renewables and non green house gas. Also, we produce more than 2/3 of hour electricity. These numbers will continue to shift more toward renewable over the next decades. At the same time, coal mine numbers are shrinking. Despite claims that "The coal industry is back."

Banned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator
Occupation
Mariner
I miss the days when there was only one model Jeep I didn't want.
Sponsored