Sponsored

5W-40?

talljeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 J-20 97 TJ 2012 JKU 2020 JT/LE
I am venturing a guess that RIPP has experienced multiple rocker/cam failures with customers hence the bulletin. 0/20 is for nothing more than to appease the EPA and barrel volumes.
Sponsored

OP
OP
River2016

River2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 sport s - 2018 Gx460 - 1992 SC400
Occupation
Construction
I would assume they did as far as the failures. It made sense when I read the bulletin but I also would have appreciated some of the data they analyzed to get to the point of making a bold statement more because I find it interesting than anything. It may have been semi incriminating for them though to release that information and as a business owner I also understand that factor as well

talljeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From a reliable source.
Unfortunately I left the company as the Gen II was kicking off. I do know the engineering team was VERY nervous on the 0w-20 stuff and it was 100% for fuel economy.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
From a reliable source.
Unfortunately I left the company as the Gen II was kicking off. I do know the engineering team was VERY nervous on the 0w-20 stuff and it was 100% for fuel economy.
Might as well have been written on a truck stop bathroom wall above a glory hole if the source is not going to be referenced or named.

OP
OP
River2016

River2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Might as well have been written on a truck stop bathroom wall above a glory hole if the source is not going to be referenced or named.

some of the best times I can not remember..

Sponsored

JW Jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Here We go never a real answer. Now 6 quarts is better then 5. We have beat up on the dealers for over filling oil and me for one Of them ? The great oil debate never ends.
the first few years the synthetic oil came out Harley Davidson said oh no, don’t use it too slippery. Now they sell their own brand. All the additive years such as STP or Slick 50 and many others. I have had highly modified hotrods, boats, motorcycles and have never lost an engine because of what kind of oil it had unless there was a lack of or no oil pressure. Use good oil and change it often is what I go by. The oil debate will never end. Well maybe when we are totally electric ?

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
In the same thread on BITOG, the guy goes on to say that he left prior to the development of the PUG and that thicker oil was a positive for the timing components (chain) but a negative for the valvetrain (cams/rockers) and that was IIRC prior to the API SP oils coming out which focuses heavily on timing chain wear and LSPI. If a PUG engineer and tribologist come out and say, yeah 5w40 will make the engine last longer, I'll be the first to dump my 0w20 but not until then or I'm trying to solve some other issue with a thicker oil.

OP
OP
River2016

River2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
In regards to
In the same thread on BITOG, the guy goes on to say that he left prior to the development of the PUG and that thicker oil was a positive for the timing components (chain) but a negative for the valvetrain (cams/rockers) and that was IIRC prior to the API SP oils coming out which focuses heavily on timing chain wear and LSPI. If a PUG engineer and tribologist come out and say, yeah 5w40 will make the engine last longer, I'll be the first to dump my 0w20 but not until then or I'm trying to solve some other issue with a thicker oil.
I appreciate your perspective, and I acknowledge the merit of your point. If I grasp your statement correctly, you're implying that you will not consider an alternative to 0w-20 until an official engineer from the manufacturing facility endorses it. I comprehend your position. Furthermore, if I am interpreting correctly, this recommendation is contingent upon a naturally aspirated factory engine without forced induction, taking into account the associated elevated temperatures. Am I on the right track?

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
In regards to

I appreciate your perspective, and I acknowledge the merit of your point. If I grasp your statement correctly, you're implying that you will not consider an alternative to 0w-20 until an official engineer from the manufacturing facility endorses it. I comprehend your position. Furthermore, if I am interpreting correctly, this recommendation is contingent upon a naturally aspirated factory engine without forced induction, taking into account the associated elevated temperatures. Am I on the right track?
I wrote that a bit happhazardly. I would not diverge from 0w20 unless explicitly recommended to do so by the manufacturer (such as in the case of my Mazdaspeed3: 5w30 to 5w40) or if I was trying to resolve an issue (burning oil in my M3: 5w30 to 15w50).

I plan on keeping my JT for the next 9 years or more so when it gets older, I may revisit the idea of using a different oil but for now, 0w20 is shown to work out well in these engines per the UOAs I've seen.

OP
OP
River2016

River2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
I wrote that a bit happhazardly. I would not diverge from 0w20 unless explicitly recommended to do so by the manufacturer (such as in the case of my Mazdaspeed3: 5w30 to 5w40) or if I was trying to resolve an issue (burning oil in my M3: 5w30 to 15w50).

I plan on keeping my JT for the next 9 years or more so when it gets older, I may revisit the idea of using a different oil but for now, 0w20 is shown to work out well in these engines per the UOAs I've seen.

I also intend to retain my gladiator for an extended duration. Regarding the manufacturer's suggestion to alter the oil weight, I find it unlikely to be implemented since FCA does not provide a forced induction alternative. Consequently, there seems to be no compelling reason to support such a requirement. I assume you are well-informed about the initial statements made by the manufacturer of the forced induction choice, which prompted this request for additional thoughts and comments.

Sponsored

OP
OP
River2016

River2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Here is the report in the 5w-20. I will update with the 5w-40 (w 1/2 quart of 5w-30) 5.5 quarts.

IMG_7882.jpeg

talljeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I recently switched to Amsoil Signature series 5-20. I am also running Amsoil Upper Cylinder lubricant every other tank. Amazingly quieter. I had no abnormal "tick" like may complain of or need repairs to resolve.. Cold starts are different now...much quieter.

OP
OP
River2016

River2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
I recently switched to Amsoil Signature series 5-20. I am also running Amsoil Upper Cylinder lubricant every other tank. Amazingly quieter. I had no abnormal "tick" like may complain of or need repairs to resolve.. Cold starts are different now...much quieter.
I did not know they made that that is interesting. I’m going to look into it. Thank you for bringing that up.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon