Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
This isn't true......

The cruise remains engaged if you are on the highway and need to shift. Per the manual, if either the clutch is depressed for 15 seconds, or the trans in neutral for 15 seconds, THEN cruise will disengage. More than enough time to complete a gearchange.

I use my cruise all the time and can confirm this is how it works. Only stepping on the brake or cancelling will immediately cancel it.
Sponsored

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
This isn't true......

The cruise remains engaged if you are on the highway and need to shift. Per the manual, if either the clutch is depressed for 15 seconds, or the trans in neutral for 15 seconds, THEN cruise will disengage. More than enough time to complete a gearchange.

I use my cruise all the time and can confirm this is how it works. Only stepping on the brake or cancelling will immediately cancel it.
Can confirm. I tend to engage ACC as soon as I hit the interstate, usually in 3rd or 4th. Once I get some space, I shift it into 6th and it remains engaged without me doing anything. I've had it cancel itself one time on a steep hill in 6th, but that's probably what it should have done in that situation.

OP
OP
21Moja

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
Can anyone confirm this that does NOT have adaptive cruise?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Can anyone confirm this that does NOT have adaptive cruise?
You'll have a black box behind the mirror if you have acc.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s why I am shocked Jeep put cc on a manual wrangler/gladiator. The motor constantly bogs down on the highway.
MT vehicles have had CC for decades. Its always been like that..
You either need to pay attention or if you don't want to bother you set the cruise while you are one gear off the top. Motor still turns reasonable revs but has the power to get you up hills without your intervention.

The whole point of a MT is to not drive a vehicle that is set and forget. So Its actually consistent with the desired experience. Mts are all about experience now. Since AT's now get better fuel economy and generally accelerate better. The only real practical reason to get a MT is to save $2000. Which is a biggie for some people.

Sponsored

OP
OP
21Moja

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
You either need to pay attention or if you don't want to bother you set the cruise while you are one gear off the top. Motor still turns reasonable revs but has the power to get you up hills without your intervention.

The whole point of a MT is to not drive a vehicle that is set and forget. So Its actually consistent with the desired experience. Mts are all about experience now. Since AT's now get better fuel economy and generally accelerate better. The only real practical reason to get a MT is to save $2000. Which is a biggie for some people.
There are plenty of practical reasons to get a MT other than saving money...

OP
OP
21Moja

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
You'll have a black box behind the mirror if you have acc.
Maybe that didn't come across correctly...I am asking if anyone can confirm their cruise (without ACC) does not disengage if you change gears...I know what ACC is and how to know if you have it.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs

Fuel economy isn't better on the at on these. It's pretty much identical. 16/23 (Mt) vs 17/22 (at), 19 combined for both. It wasn't better on gli and gtis either. The manuals get better mpg on that platform. WRX autos (which are actually cvts) don't get better mpg either. Neither do BRZs. But challenger autos get better mpgs. So do mustang autos. It really depends on the gear ratios chosen by the manufacturer. There's no general rule anymore.

Also, vws reengage the cruise control automatically as soon as you release the clutch. And have for at least 15 years, which is far back as I own a VW with cruise control.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are plenty of practical reasons to get a MT other than saving money...
In some vehicles, yes.

But not in a Gladiator. Name one practical advantage of a MT in a Gladiator other than the $2000 savings? (Don't bother with engine braking, its very easy for me to drop the AT shifter into manual mode and drop down a couple gears on long descents)

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
In some vehicles, yes.

But not in a Gladiator. Name one practical advantage of a MT in a Gladiator other than the $2000 savings? (Don't bother with engine braking, its very easy for me to drop the AT shifter into manual mode and drop down a couple gears on long descents)
This is an argument that will never be won by anyone, though both sides will think they've won. No point. I personally like the low speed control and the direct engagement with the torque output. I'm sure you'll say you have the same with your auto. And we're both right.

But I'm more comfortable in low speed and low traction situations on a manual. Also, if you're trying to completely maximize payload, the base manual sport has the highest payload of all, just because it's so light. My manual Rubicon has more payload than an automatic Rubicon. Of course, that's to the major detriment of towing capability on this platform. I don't tow heavy or maximize payload though, so personally I don't care about either of those.

Mostly, the main benefit is just that I like it. I'm more more comfortable driving MT. I'd get an mt even if it cost more than the auto. Because I like MTs. I have always, and will continue to drive MT exclusively until I go to direct drive (electric 1 speed).

OP
OP
21Moja

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
In some vehicles, yes.

Reasons and advantages are 2 different things...My reasons are for me, your reasons are for you. I have driven manuals for years, I like them, and Im comfortable with them (its sad how that is not the norm anymore). I like the direct feel I get from a manual and always will. My last truck was an auto and while easy to drive it was also boring...My reasons

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Can confirm: In ACC mode, the cruise perseveres thru gear changes.

Can't confirm: if it does the same in normal cruise mode, as I never really use it.

OP
OP
21Moja

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
Can confirm: In ACC mode, the cruise perseveres thru gear changes.

Can't confirm: if it does the same in normal cruise mode, as I never really use it.
Thanks...

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reasons and advantages are 2 different things...My reasons are for me, your reasons are for you. I have driven manuals for years, I like them, and Im comfortable with them (its sad how that is not the norm anymore). I like the direct feel I get from a manual and always will. My last truck was an auto and while easy to drive it was also boring...My reasons
What you have cited are not practical advantages.

They are personal preferences. I would never try to suggest your choice is wrong. But its about likes, and feelings, not about any actual real advantage. You like what you like, and that is reason enough to get a MT.

I write this as someone for whom the Gladiator is only my 2nd AT vehicle. So I get it.

But there is no practical reason to get a MT in a Gladiator other than the $2000 buy in.
Sponsored