First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
What you have cited are not practical advantages.

They are personal preferences. I would never try to suggest your choice is wrong. But its about likes, and feelings, not about any actual real advantage. You like what you like, and that is reason enough to get a MT.

I write this as someone for whom the Gladiator is only my 2nd AT vehicle. So I get it.

But there is no practical reason to get a MT in a Gladiator other than the $2000 buy in.

Okay...
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Can confirm: In ACC mode, the cruise perseveres thru gear changes.

Can't confirm: if it does the same in normal cruise mode, as I never really use it.
One more reason I wish I would have ordered, and gotten one with all the stuff I want. But I got a discount that was only valid for on the lot vehicles, and also my color already out of production when I bought, and I really wanted Nacho. My last vehicle had the safety packages and acc, and rain sensing wipers. I miss that stuff.

OP
OP
21Moja

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
One more reason I wish I would have ordered, and gotten one with all the stuff I want. But I got a discount that was only valid for on the lot vehicles, and also my color already out of production when I bought, and I really wanted Nacho. My last vehicle had the safety packages and acc, and rain sensing wipers. I miss that stuff.

I absolutely DO NOT miss those things...My F150 had everything (auto wipers, auto high beams, ACC, etc) and I either didn't use or turn most off. They were more of a pain in the as than anything. The ACC would brake so hard when other cars merged it was unusable. I think its a decent idea and have no clue how it works on Jeeps but I don't think they are ready for the real world just yet. I bought my Mojave with some options but made sure I had more control than my car...

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I absolutely DO NOT miss those things...My F150 had everything (auto wipers, auto high beams, ACC, etc) and I either didn't use or turn most off. They were more of a pain in the as than anything. The ACC would brake so hard when other cars merged it was unusable. I think its a decent idea and have no clue how it works on Jeeps but I don't think they are ready for the real world just yet. I bought my Mojave with some options but made sure I had more control than my car...
On my vw, they all just worked seemlessly and perfectly all the time. Also, you could adjust the distance and turn it all off if so desired. The only problem was when it iced over, and then acc would shut off. I'm sure different manufacturers are better or worse at implementation. I have no idea how good jeep is with it, unfortunately, because I don't have it 😩.

But this is why they give us the choice, I suppose. So we can all get what we like.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
It's interesting to see the different perspectives. I ordered my JT with all the bells and whistles because I'd been driving the same Chevy Colorado for 14 years and was ready for a serious upgrade. My Colorado, while "loaded" for a 2007 MY, didn't have a whole lot of tech in it and as I get older, I found myself wanting those things, at least as an option in case I wanted to use them.

I 95% loooove ACC. It certainly can spaz-out on the braking if a car cuts in front of you real quick. I believe there is a setting in the menu to calm this down a bit. IIRC, mine is set somewhere in the middle but still needs to be turned down some more. Also, it can catch me off guard when towing, particularly in the hills. Set cruise at 65 in 5th, start going up a hill and if I'm not paying attention, I'll be going 50 before I realize it. This is a me problem though and no fault of ACC/CC/MT. That said, I love it in day to day driving. I set it for max distance and just let it do it's thing. I like to think it's saved me from more rock chips than I already have and (knock on wood) no windshield cracks yet.

If I had to do it over again, I would get it again.

Sponsored

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
To get back to the question at hand, I double checked the manual:

NORMAL cruise (non-ACC): depressing the clutch pedal deactivates cruise control
ACC: depressing the clutch pedal or moving the shifter to neutral for more than 10 seconds deactivates ACC (sorry I had it in my head it was 15 sec, it's 10)

So normal cruise is immediate, ACC has the delay to allow for shifting. Presumably because when using ACC some significant speed variations are expected and you'll need to shift, but with normal cruise your speed shouldn't vary so no need for shifting.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you have cited are not practical advantages.

They are personal preferences. I would never try to suggest your choice is wrong. But its about likes, and feelings, not about any actual real advantage. You like what you like, and that is reason enough to get a MT.

I write this as someone for whom the Gladiator is only my 2nd AT vehicle. So I get it.

But there is no practical reason to get a MT in a Gladiator other than the $2000 buy in.
Unless you need the towing capacity, since the manual is rated much lower there, the entire premise of choosing a transmission is personal preference. Practicality is irrelevant, because once you know how to drive an MT they are equally practical. It's just an option. Some people like tan seats, some people like black seats. Leather or cloth? Hydro Blue or Gobi? It's just another choice to pick from. Some people strongly prefer one choice to another.

The gas mileage difference on this platform is moot. They are rated at a dead heat, and the fuel economy threads all seem to confirm this in the real world. So it just comes to choice/preference (except maximum towing capacity).

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave

ACC: depressing the clutch pedal or moving the shifter to neutral for more than 10 seconds deactivates ACC (sorry I had it in my head it was 15 sec, it's 10)

So normal cruise is immediate, ACC has the delay to allow for shifting. Presumably because when using ACC some significant speed variations are expected and you'll need to shift, but with normal cruise your speed shouldn't vary so no need for shifting.
This is my experience, I don't have ACC but the "normal" cruise cuts on clutch and break. You can temporary give a little throttle and then it will resume back to the setting, but too much throttle for too long it will cut also.

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor

That makes sense. More reason to love ACC, an option I didn't even think I would like when I checked the box.

As for manual advantages, I can think of a few "practical" reasons.
Manumatic can allow you to select gears, but it still doesn't give as much control as a manual due to the computer overriding some decisions.
Less people can steal it without a tow vehicle(lol).
Autopark is a PITA.
ESS is annoying on an automatic.

Yeah yeah, I know the last two are subjective.

OP
OP
21Moja

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller

Thanks, I figured we were going to come up with that...I wonder if there is any way to get a non ACC cruise to function like an ACC cruise in that regard.

Sponsored

hemigeno

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO; '18 Durango; '13 JK
Even though my 2021 Overland has ACC, I quit using it on my 43 mile e.w. commute (too many instances of slamming on the brakes) a long time ago. I will use it on long road trips in wide open interstate stretches with light traffic, but not in moderate to heavy traffic conditions. No thanks. I'll stick with the Fixed Speed Cruise Control, and modulate things myself.

After reading this thread yesterday afternoon, I experimented with the Fixed Speed CC on the way home. My truck DID keep the cruise control activated both when upshifting and downshifting. As soon as the pedal was depressed, RPM's dropped. Once I had my foot off the clutch, RPM's eased back up without me having to hit "Resume" or anything else. I tried this both in coasting and (fairly light) engine load conditions. Same thing. The only thing I noticed was a slight 'clunk' as the clutch re-engaged with the flywheel when going up a hill. Often I'll grab a lower gear before starting up a hill, so shifting half-way up was somewhat atypical for me.

I know p184 of the Owner's Manual states that pressing the clutch pedal will deactivate the Fixed Speed Cruise Control:
Jeep Gladiator 6 MT and cruise control 1653599326413

But, my personal experience does not back up what the Owner's Manual states. Whether that's a feature they changed after writing that section, or whether it's been wrong all along, I don't know.

YMMV

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
I'm guessing they probably could have been more specific in the manual, i.e. "VEHICLES EQUIPPED" with ACC will do xxx and VEHICLES EQUIPPED with cruise control will do yyy". Haven't had a chance to test this myself (I have ACC) but I have a 9 hour road trip ahead of me tomorrow so I'm sure I will then.

OP
OP
21Moja

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
I wonder if this can be simulated in a non ACC Jeep...Not sure how but I wonder if its possible. Jscan, Tazer, etc...

Iowafarm

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon, Chevy Camaro SS, HD Wideglide
Occupation
Farmer
I must be one of the few that never uses cruise. I feel it let's you get compliant and not engaged with the driving. It amazes me how many people use it on the short trip from my town to the next town down the road, and go in the ditch because the use it on slick roads.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I must be one of the few that never uses cruise. I feel it let's you get compliant and not engaged with the driving. It amazes me how many people use it on the short trip from my town to the next town down the road, and go in the ditch because the use it on slick roads.
How do you know cruise control is why they end up in a ditch? Also, it automatically disengages when there's wheel slip. Agree you shouldn't use it on slick roads, but are your roads always slick? It does keep me compliant. Compliant to the speed limit, which keeps me out of trouble.
Sponsored

Last edited: