Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Funny how this thread deviates from being about cruise control on a manual to being about feelings of a manual.
I don't have a practical reason for owning an MT, but I have my reasons:

1) It's just FUN to drive
2) It requires more skill on the difficult trails
3) I feel more "connected" to my rig
4) Without it, my left leg gets bored and eventually atrophies from lack of use
Probably harder to text and drive...
Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Funny how this thread deviates from being about cruise control on a manual to being about feelings of a manual.
So MTs are safer given that 50% of Americans text while driving. Most of the other 50% are MT drivers?

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Don't almost all these threads get hijacked at some point? 🤣

(please excuse typos, I was shifting into 3rd while trying to eat McDonalds and drinking a hot coffee)

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
Back on subject, the standard cruise operates like ACC on mine. No disengagement on clutch. I'm wondering though(since I can't test it myself), what happens if you do a clutchless shift on one that doesn't have ACC?

Two more advantages I thought of. Manual can do dead battery bump starts, and, not sure on the Gladiator, but manuals can walk you a short way with the starter if your engine won't start. I ran out of gas once a hill away from a gas station, walked it up the hill with the starter then rolled to the gas station, lol. Poor starter.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Back on subject, the standard cruise operates like ACC on mine. No disengagement on clutch. I'm wondering though(since I can't test it myself), what happens if you do a clutchless shift on one that doesn't have ACC?

Two more advantages I thought of. Manual can do dead battery bump starts, and, not sure on the Gladiator, but manuals can walk you a short way with the starter if your engine won't start. I ran out of gas once a hill away from a gas station, walked it up the hill with the starter then rolled to the gas station, lol. Poor starter.
On a clutchles shift with cc on, it revs for a second trying to hold speed (mph) between gears, and if you're quick about it and great at it, It won't disengage. But it'll rev in between gears, so it disengages when it revs. Also that messes with your rpm match if cc is on.

The Gladiator won't walk with the starter, because modern manuals have to be clutch in to start (safety switch). Unless you override the clutch interlock. I don't think it works for any manual after the mid 90s. Maybe sooner. it works on my 73 not on my 97, or the 97 civic I had before that.

If you're really strong (or on a steep hill), it'll still push or roll start though. But it's so heavy that unless it's on a steep hill, it's not viable.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kblanton

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Sport S
Occupation
Sales
No ACC just regular cruise. Have set cruise in 5th, realized I need one more gear, quick shifted with clutch and it kept it.

Going down every time it cuts off.

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
The Gladiator won't walk with the starter, because modern manuals have to be in neutral to start (safety switch). Unless you override the clutch interlock. I don't think it works for any manual after the mid 90s. Maybe sooner. it works on my 73 not on my 97, or the 97 civic I had before that.

Aww, too bad. I did it on my 03 TJ, but I pulled the fuse for the clutch switch when I bought it and never put it back in.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Aww, too bad. I did it on my 03 TJ, but I pulled the fuse for the clutch switch when I bought it and never put it back in.
I think it works in 4-low still, if remember correctly, right out of the box. No mods needed. Just thought about that

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
I think it works in 4-low still, if remember correctly, right out of the box. No mods needed. Just thought about that
Just threw it in 4 low in my driveway and couldnt get it to work. Maybe you have to stall first or something.

STLDAVE

First Name
DAve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner, Shopping for JT
Occupation
Retired
Not on Volkswagens. I sure wish the Jeep was the same. Volkswagen does manual transmission cruise control right! It auto reengages when you shift. No one else seems to do that though
Not just Volkswagen, my 2020 Civic Si does that too.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Don't almost all these threads get hijacked at some point? 🤣

(please excuse typos, I was shifting into 3rd while trying to eat McDonalds and drinking a hot coffee)
Hey, I think I just saw you - weren't you also trying to shave while trying to keep your dog from eating your fries?

Anyway, from what I'm reading, Jeep has come a long long ways with cruise control on the sticks. Really glad to see that it allows you to shift a gear while on the highway with cruise and then resume when the clutch is out.

Wish my 4.0 would do that. The RPM is really low on our backroads and highways at 55,it's got crazy torque and it never feels like it was lugging it, but still I wish I could shift into and out of 5th with cruise on. I guess I'm lucky to have a manual car I could easily put cruise into.
Funny thing - when that car was made the book says something along the lines of "do not shift into 5th gear until above 55 mph.
And yet - the national speed limit was ........... yeah - 55.

Anyway, really cool Jeep has made it work smartly.
I just wish that reverse in the manual wasn't an overdrive gear.

Jeep Gladiator 6 MT and cruise control 1653667332176

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Gladiator won't walk with the starter, because modern manuals have to be clutch in to start (safety switch). Unless you override the clutch interlock. I don't think it works for any manual after the mid 90s. Maybe sooner. it works on my 73 not on my 97, or the 97 civic I had before that.
I had that VW bunnie - was a stick. Maybe you read in the past where I had it parked, nose-to-nose with my big F250 4x4, about 3 or 4 feet apart. I was sooo used to driving my other vehicles, the Jeep we had then, my other stuff, including that big Ford............. I got into that VW bunny and like always, foot lightly on brake (not a hard press) turned the key and dang if that car didn't start in 1/4 revolution of the crankshaft and BAM - into the front of that truck. No damage to either, busted the plastic license plate holder off the front of the truck (never did put that back on, it was always a "one of these days" project).
So knowing how I am, when I built my SX4, it got a switch put on the clutch pedal. I have to at least press the clutch a little bit - didn't have the right setup to make it how I really wanted it - but it works. I always push the clutch all the way or not at all, so if my foot is on the clutch pedal, it's all the way down and that forces me to check to see if it's in gear or not.
I wish I could say I sent my idea to AMC who then incorporated it into Jeeps, but I was a few years too late for that and my name isn't Forrest Gump.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Hey, I think I just saw you - weren't you also trying to shave while trying to keep your dog from eating your fries?
Shaving? no way, that's too dangerous. I was fixing my hair in the visor mirror and lighting a cigar.

And my dog ate my fries 😢
Sponsored