6000lb Travel Trailer Towing?

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Correct, I get my best MPG in CA. The trucks do about 62 and again, I just set ACC to get in line with them.

I wouldn't. Also it's well under 4k. I'd be VERY uncomfortable driving so much slower than all other traffic, including trucks and other RVs.

How so, besides the wreck? So I'd get a ticket? Insurance would still cover it, and it's just like all other laws about being reasonable and prudent. When towing with the Wrangler in CA at 60 I got some sway from wind, have never had sway at 80 in AZ. I guess either going too slow or being in CA is the cause...
“ Most insurance policies have clauses that allow for the company not to pay on claims if the damages were caused because of intentional actions on the part of the insured. If they can show that you knew or reasonably should have known that you were engaging in conduct that is, on it's face, illegal or negligent, then the liability lies entirely with you personally, and they'll likely not pay. That said, many companies would pay for the damages you caused to others, but would refuse to pay for damage you did to yourself. AND, they'd drop you like a hot rock.”
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
“ Most insurance policies have clauses that allow for the company not to pay on claims if the damages were caused because of intentional actions on the part of the insured. If they can show that you knew or reasonably should have known that you were engaging in conduct that is, on it's face, illegal or negligent, then the liability lies entirely with you personally, and they'll likely not pay. That said, many companies would pay for the damages you caused to others, but would refuse to pay for damage you did to yourself. AND, they'd drop you like a hot rock.”
That’s a very common myth, so I don’t blame you for buying into it. But it’s totally false. Let me ask you...would they cover me if I drove my Jeep into a river? The answer of course is yes. Insurance can exclude gross and purposeful negligence, but not simple negligence. And driving with the flow of traffic is not negligent, while driving 55 would be negligent. Yet still covered.

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
If you can, get a WDH with integrated sway control. I'm considering an Anderson after seeing it on trailer forums, but we have a Husky that works REALLY well:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W919F4K/

The Anderson system weighs 50 lbs less, however, and has been mentioned, you payload is going to be your limiting factor. With your trailer at 6000 lbs, the ideal 12% tongue weight of 720 lbs will gobble up a whole lot of your total payload. Kids, animals, cargo in the truck - look at your sticker on your door sill to see what that looks like. The WDH hitch counts as payload, 50 lbs is looking like it will matter to us.

This is the Curt brake button, which works perfectly and is very helpful:
https://www.carid.com/curt/echo-brake-controller-manual-override-button-mpn-51189.html

I towed double axle cargo trailers to San Diego and other places, smaller than a travel trailer so a lot less "sail" factor, and keeping the app to hand on a phone was a drag. The button also made setting the gain and sensitivity a snap.
Here's the Husky that I will be using-Will pass on any info !
Weight Distribution Hitch Husky TS 800-1200 lb – United RV-Available at Amazon.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
This is pretty much how they all look. Just google it, you'll find a ton of examples. Mine is rated for 600 pounds tongue weight, and works really well.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
do you have any bounce when you tow? I think my ball is set to high. Im getting a lot of bounce when towing. I do have a good WDH.
I get a little bounce in certain situations, but not all the time. My trailer is 3500 pounds, I have a stock Rubicon, and my WDH is the chain type which should work the same. It only bounces over certain pavement problems that induce it, but not just towing down a normal highway.

You may have set it up incorrectly. There are many old wives' tales about how to set up and how to load it. My friend was doing it some crazy way an old-timer taught him that was completely stupid, and he had a horrible ride. What setup instructions did you follow?

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I upgraded from my 2018 JLU to my Gladiator Rubicon to tow a similar weight travel trailer. Installed the mopar brake controller and have a WDH. Haven't towed it yet but I talked to a couple people with the same TT (Jayco SLX8 264BH, wondering if you got the same based on weights) and a gladiator (even lifted) and they said it towed fine.
Being able to safely control the unit as a whole is everything. We are considering a smaller trailer not over 4,000 gross, but also considering an Anderson No Sway WDH (chain type). Your thoughts about the Mopar brake controller and the WDH choice.....

Sponsored

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Being able to safely control the unit as a whole is everything. We are considering a smaller trailer not over 4,000 gross, but also considering an Anderson No Sway WDH (chain type). Your thoughts about the Mopar brake controller and the WDH choice.....
mopar brake controller works fine, same as others I've had. I think any WDH with sway control will do the job. I have a Camco Recurve R6 WDH.

OP
OP
Jobofly

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
Ok so I readjusted my WDH and lowered the ball. Wow what a difference. I took my travel trailer on a nice drive this evening to test it out and it made a world of difference. I also mounted a sway bar controller and that made a big difference when trucks passed me on the highway. I was able to cruise between 60-65 on the highway comfortably.

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
do you have any bounce when you tow? I think my ball is set to high. Im getting a lot of bounce when towing. I do have a good WDH.
I don’t have any bounce. It’s really solid. That said, certain bridges do introduce a rhythmic bouncing that isn’t fun at highway speeds.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I’d say you are pushing it as far as weight goes.

I have the Curt Echo controller and although “it works” it’s just ok. I often wish I had the Mopar or Red Arc wired controller.
Why would he be pushing it? The gladiator with max tow is rated to 7650. He is looking to trailer 6000 at the most. That is 80% of the tow rating.

That would put 600 tongue on the Sport(S) leaving 900 pounds for truck cargo and passengers. An Anderson would do a good job of distributing the weight to take it off the rear axle and move a percentage to the front truck axle (bout 80%) and some to the trailer axle (bout 20%)

A 6000 pound total tow is done easily by many SUVs and mid sized trucks.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
i just traded my 26 gray wolf in on a 19.3 nobo. The glad towed the 26 fine. It was within 200lbs of max payload when fully loaded. Issue for me was not towing it but the fact it was just too big a trailer for us over all. So o chopped 7 fee off the ass 1 foot off the width and 1 foot off the height. Should be a dream tow with the new tt. Weight will be close to the same tho. Nobo was at 4200 dry gray wolf was 4500 dry. However I won’t have as much space to pack as much crap into sooo…. It’ll still be lighter lol. Sorry babe we can’t take that extra kitchen sink and the dishwasher in the new one 🤣
Sponsored